Note: This was in 2014 - Motorbikes on the Etretat Update- Brittany Ferries Economie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Codger

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Note this was in 2014

Myself and son returned from Santander on the Etretat on the 21-22nd of September.
Our bikes along with 4 others were lashed down in the open air on the back of Deck 5 .
It was a millpond smooth crossing all the bikes and cars on that deck were covered in sea salt.
On disembarkation the crew hosed the cars down leaving the steep metal exit ramp wet and greasy.
I thought the bikes would be stowed under cover on deck 3.

Copy of e mail to and from Brittany Ferries for information :-

Hi

I returned from Santander to Portsmouth on the Etretat on 22/9/14

I was travelling with my son and our two BMW motorcycles ,our bikes were lashed down on the top deck at the back in the open air along with 4 others.

Fortunately on the way back it was a calm crossing.

All the bikes were covered in a layer of corrosive sea salt as were the cars on the open air deck.

When it was time to disembark the crew members were hosing down cars on the top deck.

Water was everywhere including on the steep slippery metal ramp descending from the top deck. One crew member was spraying car roofs while they were on the ramp

This was an accident waiting to happen fortunately all 6 bikes and occupants made it down gingerly without injury.

I am an experienced rider of over 40yrs standing and no wimp.

I made my views of the dangers involved to one of the Ships Officers standing by the exit ramp.

This marred what was a good trip on an excellent ferry.

Why oh why cannot bikes be secured on a closed deck out of the elements ?

To most bikers including us, their machines are their pride and joy and they don,t want them on an open deck exposed to the possibility of rough seas and the elements. Most Guys don,t want their main yearly excursion ruined

Word soon gets around within the biking community and their forums . Should you continue this practice you will likely loose biker business.

Reply :-

Dear Mr xxxxxxx

Thank you for your email.

Please accept my apologies for the experience you encountered with your bike on board Etretat last month. Your complaint is not the first of this nature, and it is an issue that needed addressing urgently. I have been in contact with the loading officer and he’s informed me that we’ve now changed our loading policy for motorcyclists. Instead of being directed up to deck 5, there are now 21 spaces allocated to motorbikes down below on deck 3.

I completely understand your, and others, position on this matter, and agree that it was not sensible to continue loading in this way.

Many thanks for your feedback, as without it, we can’t implement change for the benefit of our customers. And also, thank you for your compliments regarding Etretat in general – I’ve have forwarded this on to the purser.

We’re looking forward to welcoming you back on board again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Tom

Thomas Derrick | Customer Services | Brittany Ferries, Millbay, Plymouth, Devon, PL1 3EW

Seems a good response if followed though. New ship teething problems perhaps?

cheers

MArkie

Valid complaint and fair response,

Hopefully things have improved in the intervening four years!

Someone can start a new thread on the challenges of crossing the world’s oceans with a motorcycle.

I’ve edited the title and opening post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom