Posible Upgrade from 2012 Super Tenere to current 2014 Super Tenere

Banzai600

Reaction score
Kind of thinking aloud here.....

I was acutally going to downgrade ( CB500x or MT09 tracer ) as I havent really gotten the use out of my S10 apart from commuting ( daily ). I was kind of feeling its a little bit of overkill for my particular useage. The v odd photo rally and a trip to Scotland & commuting with some two-up. Im more for trackdays during the summer if Im being honest ( planning two big trips to spain and italy for 3 days at a track on the duke ).

In saying all that i have realised, particularly when weather is v bad, the Tenere is just comfort, confidence, feels safe an is impposing enough that Irish drivers think twice about forcing you out of a lane ( cause they are all stupid c***s over here, literally :blast ). I use the bike daily, and love it. The odd time im in the city, it is big when traffic is grid lock. Any 1200 traillie will be. But its still a hoot to go for a balst on and if the weather changes, the smile on your face does not. Id be moving on and the handling is still surprises me for a big bike.

So yeah, i probably will be less happy with a smaller bike,not as comfy, beefy etc. Kind of spoiled at the moment. Its one of those cases, you wont miss it until its gone.

Th new Super Tenere has a v v small not worth talking about torque and bhp increase with a 4 kg weight saving and a few aesthetic enhancements. But im thinking to stick with the S10 and just trade up. The current one is perfect, engine has really sweetened after 21 / 22k kms now and feels great. About 26 kms on it now.

I know a couple of ppl here have possibly moved to the new bike, so looking for comparissons ? I see a couple of yanks have had an issue with clutch pates ( som of them seem to be able to wreck bikes by just polishing and never riding them ! :D )

Opinions on new S10......?

cheers.

2015-Yamaha-XT1200Z-Super-Tenere-EU-Race-Blu-Studio-001.jpg

they look ok, the nitty gritty stats seem to be ok, but would i have one,?.
NO, i`ll stick to my GSA ,

I've rode the triple black robbie before i bought my current S10 back to back. To me the Yam just suited me or I suited it.

The GS are fine and all that but its good to have something different too and the S10 is better than any stats have you suggest :cool:

they look ok, the nitty gritty stats seem to be ok, but would i have one,?.
NO, i`ll stick to my GSA ,

no theres a comparison ........ SHGTSS !

As a long term S10 owner I think the new version is more for those without an S10 in their life than existing owners as they seem to get better with familiarity and miles. Can't recall the last bike I had that I had that has worked its way in to my affections so much. Had been wondering whether to swap when the new Africa twin emerges but will probably get rid of another bike rather than the S10 it's just so capable, solid, reliable ��.

It is not like the difference between the 2012 and 2013 GS where the entire bike is new, at most you get a barely noticeable power increase (easily compensated for with a £300 flash) a smoother engine (fitting a 2014 clutch basket at a few hundred quid will solve that) and the option of electronic suspension (a grand gets you a top of the range shock and fork re-work on your old model)

The only thing I would really value is the cruise control, but not likely to cough up £5k to get it, hoping the new 700 will be not much more than that so could just buy a smaller Tenere for the little trips and some green laning and keep the big old girl for the long tours.

For the few 'nice to have' bits on the new S10 and the cost of getting there, I am sticking with my 2011 S10 for now, and then there's the work of moving all the bits over.... and I am having too much fun on my XT500 to think about the S10 :)

tks for the input, its appreciate. Yeah, it was costing me a few k to upgrade. So, im not going to now. It makes sense not to. I was only really upgrading for the funky colour and new display.

I will just upgrade the rear shock & get the reflash done. Thats all it needs really.

There is a guy over here in the process of setting up re reflash so I will let ya's know how it goes.

Topic closed so....ya cant really improve on perfection... ;)

::thumb

When you stuff a 261kgs bike on Tourance EXP's into a sweeping downhill left hander so hard that the footrest doesn't just graze the road but actually pivots up and forces you to lift your foot off the peg whilst the bike remains utterly stable and tracks perfectly you realise that although other bikes may have more power the S10 is a brilliant bike. Hero blob almost demolished in one go, if I hadn't lifted my foot as quickly as I did the blob would be departed, en ex-blob, deceased.

A roundabout that I regularly do a 270º around usually has the right peg down for a good deal of the turn if it's dry and there's no traffic, stable as a stable thing.

I had intended to buy a BM GS WC until I rode one. I'm so glad that I didn't.

The only thing about the new AT or the smaller Yams is loosing the shaft drive which I really don't want to do.

When you stuff a 261kgs bike on Tourance EXP's into a sweeping downhill left hander so hard that the footrest doesn't just graze the road but actually pivots up and forces you to lift your foot off the peg whilst the bike remains utterly stable and tracks perfectly you realise that although other bikes may have more power the S10 is a brilliant bike. Hero blob almost demolished in one go, if I hadn't lifted my foot as quickly as I did the blob would be departed, en ex-blob, deceased.

A roundabout that I regularly do a 270º around usually has the right peg down for a good deal of the turn if it's dry and there's no traffic, stable as a stable thing.

I had intended to buy a BM GS WC until I rode one. I'm so glad that I didn't.

The only thing about the new AT or the smaller Yams is loosing the shaft drive which I really don't want to do.

LOL, I agree.

the bike handles superbly. Ive always said that. I busted a hero blob leaving work on cold tyres, those Tourance Next are very stable when leaned over :bow

Yes, on Nexts now too. Seem to be very good but we'll see what the mileage to end of life is.

Updated suspension has helped preserve my blobs, but agree that the bike handles far better than it should.

Back
Top Bottom