Changing ESA preload when cold..

Smokey

Reaction score
Hi guys, brought a new 1200gs lc in summer and has been going great and loving every minute. But my bikes ESA has been really bugging me recently with it not wanting to change the preload (single rider, rider with luggage and two up etc..) when it is cold.

Ive been on a few rides now where i want to take the otherhalf on the bike and the bike just wont change (even with out me sitting on the bike) the icon just sits there flashing and does not stop till i take the key out and start it again, more often than not im having to ride it around the block for 5 minutes to come back home to change the esa to get it into two up mode to get the girlfriend onboard... Surely this isnt normal? :nenau

Wondering if anyone else is having the same issue or have any tips?

Cheers,
Keith

I had the same on my K1200GT, I came to the conclusion that the battery was in a low state of charge, once re charged, normal operation was resumed.

You are attempting to change the setting with the engine running I presume ?

... the icon just sits there flashing and does not stop

Keith, how long have you 'waited' for the icons to stop flashing? I remember riding with the icons flashing and sometime into the ride (not sure how long but I would say 30/60 seconds), the icons stop flashing. I believe the mode is set when the icons are flashing and then the icons stop flashing automatically. going out on a ride later today and will check out the 'waiting' time for you.

K

Think I've got no choicebbut to get it into the dealers...

Was in last month for the kill switch to be changed under warranty and while there they made sure it had the latest software etc.. And the battery is fully charged so not that either...

I've left it to change for over 5mins several times to try it... But nothing.. And yes, always with the engine on....

Just seems strange it's normally when the temperature is cold?

The cold does certainly effect them.
On both of mine, in the summer I could change from solo to solo with luggage with me sitting on the bike, this time of year I have to take the weight of the bike for it to work.
Dealer spoke to BMW and what a surprise, they all do that sir.

Back
Top Bottom