Montana 650 problem

CJ.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a Montana 650, which I use both on my bike, and in my car. It is currently updated with the latest firmware and city navigator europe mapping.
Last Sunday, I travelled from Dorset up to the centre of Bradford to the Jurys Inn hotel, no problems at all, the 650 behaved perfectly.
Monday morning, I left the hotel to travel into the centre of York, I had driven no more than 500 metres when the sat nav displayed the message 'No routable roads in the area' the screen then went totally blue with just the arrow cursor in the centre.
I thought this would rectify itself when I got to the main motorways in the area, but no, it remained blank all the way into the centre of York.
I switched the unit off and back on a number of times, but this made no difference, even more peculiar was the fact that when I stopped in traffic, or at a junction, the roads and highlighted route reappeared ! then, as I started to move again, the screen went totally blue again.
I completed my job in York and prepared to drive home, and guess what, the sat nav behaved perfectly all the way back to Dorset.

I'd be interested to hear if anybody has had a similar experience, or can suggest what could have caused this could happen.

Cheers, Chris

Have a look at Bug 49 in John's Common Issues link above.

It is always worth trying not just switching it off but also removing the bettery for a minute before switching it back on. I haven't had many problems especially with the latest firmware versions but one perennial issue my 600 suffers from is that, after changing profiles, routing will sometimes be very slow to update after a junction. Normally the next junction is displayed as soon as the previous junction is passed; after a profile change this may take up to a minute - OK on the open road but useless in town. Removing the battery always cures this.

Thanks for the comments guys, will spend some time on it when home at the weekend.
Cheers,
Chris

Update, for those interested.

I followed John's advice, joined the wikispaces Montana forum, and copied my post across.
I received the following comments.

1) babj615 Jan 18, 2015
What you describe is frequently due to mapping errors. Contact Garmin and report the issue with details about exactly where you were when it happened, so they can duplicate and fix the issue.

I replied with:
2) kristoph1 Jan 18, 2015
I don't think this is a mapping error because the roads I was travelling on are well established. I have just connected the 650 to my pc to view the tracks recorded, which showed my route to be travelling due south, from Bradford, in a straight line, with my destination being in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
Chris.

3) sussamb Jan 19, 2015
Sounds to me like a bad satellite fix ... placing you in the middle of the ocean hence the blue screen and 'no routeable roads'.

I replied with:
4) kristoph1 12 minutes ago
Thanks sussamb, that would make sense, I think you may have cracked it !

Chris.

Thanks for the pointing me in the right direction John, I've had no problems since, so keeping fingers crossed.

Chris.

Back
Top Bottom