TC Akro can onto pre TC headers

holla916

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm going to take a trip down to Keihan next week to get some de-cat headers on my 2010 TC. I have a Akrapovic end can on now with standard headers and the flappy valve, I'd just like to make sure of something before I buy:

I know that a full system off a 2006-2009 will fit straight on and do away with the flappy valve assembly (which I want to do) but I have a 2010 onwards Akro can. Will this fit together with the 2006-2009 headers? I didn't know if the only difference was in the length of the pipe on the headers on the TC or whether the end can pipe is different too in length and/or width??

Please advise me before I buy the wrong system. I can buy a tube to mate the TC headers to the Akro can I have but I'd like to keep it neater by not fitting a tube.

Thanks

Won't fit as is because the can only goes to the valve. You will have to get a new link pipe to connect everything up if you want to get rid of the valve. I would speak to keihan before your trip and make sure they can sort you out. Pretty sure they will be able to but best make sure.

Thanks Marki, I understand that to be the case if I ordered a set of headers for my 2010 ........... but if I ordered a set for a 2006-2009 model aren't they longer thus avoiding to have to use a link tube?

No the early headers exit just at the back of the engine with a short bend. From there the standard can has a long link pipe welded on. In my case with an aftermarket can the link pipe is separate and clamped onto the headers and with springs holding the link tight to the can.

mcKvEIJeZNUuS4ddkahEGjQ.jpg

Picture of early headers so you can see

Thanks Marki, I've just read from a previous post on the subject to say that a FULL pre 2010 system will fit and do away with the exhaust valve but you cannot mix 2010 with early stuff as the bore is different? might just buy a set of 2010 de-cat headers and get a link pipe to join them, It might be easier that way

Keihan will knock you up a suitable link pipe. I'm almost sure the bore will be the same and it's just that flappy thing which is different.

The thing is I have a link pipe that I haven't fitted yet. I just thought i might be able to order a set of headers to fit my 2010 akropovic can without having to use it to look neater, if I can't then I have no choice but to use it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holla916

I have a 2013 TC with 2010 on Keiham decat headers with BMW Akro can, mate its loud! Getting rid of the flappy valve isn't worth bothering with, won't make much difference. It pulls a bit better with the decat header but next is a remap at hilltop. Also might be me but I recon it runs hotter with the Keiham decat header on. (I ran the bike for 8k mikes with standard BMW header and Akro before fitting Keiham header). Its dam loud now, often thought about puitting standard end can back on. Getting rid of the cats the important thing.

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks Roadcraft-Rider I'll get a set of 2010 keihans and then decide whether to refit the exhaust valve or use the eliminator tube. I had a set of Remus headers and Akro can on a previous TC and I liked it, I just wasn't sure if I could mate my 2010 end can up directly to de-cat headers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holla both are the same diameter so you need either the link pipe or flappy valve to join the two. The keiham headers look and fit well, hanging brackets a bit of a fiddle, but good header and much cheaper than Remus or Akro. Got mine from Motorworks.

Sent using Tapatalk

Baffle

Have you tried the Akro extended baffle Roadcraft?

It is a tube that extends about 6" into the end can. I have one which with the standard headers, I felt was a bit too quiet.
Google it.

I would sell mine if your interested.

Nick

Nick dj

Worth checking that, will have a look at what baffles fitted, i thought it was a very short one, will check that thanks.

Sent using Tapatalk

Ive got Akra shotgun can on mine. Its VERY loud out of the box, but fine with ordinary 30mm baffles bolted in with spacer washers.

30mm diameter straight baffle(s) fit without any need to cut, angle and weld the baffle tube(s). They also don't cork up the system and cant rust solid into the outlet pipe.

Not sure if you are planning to remap the bike but my 2012 TC lost 7bhp by adding a full decat remus system as it just makes the already weak mixture worse

The hex head headers are a smaller diameter at the outlet to the can than the TC can diameter, the early headers are longer but they would be too short to reach the TC can.

I am sure Keihan will be able to make a link pipe to connect the 2 though

The hex head headers are a smaller diameter at the outlet to the can than the TC can diameter, the early headers are longer but they would be too short to reach the TC can.

I am sure Keihan will be able to make a link pipe to connect the 2 though

Thanks Daffy, that's what I needed to know. I've got a 'wunderlich exhaust valve eliminator tube' so i'll pick up a set of 2010 headers and link it all up with this. I'll take it for a remap shortly afterwards

The pre flappy exhaust systems will drop straight onto later bikes.
The valve, motor and cables can be entirely removed from the bike. The dash display won't show any faults.

Back
Top Bottom