Wasdale for lunch - optional green lanes inc the old coach road

Deleted account 200123001

Reaction score
I propose a Saturday excursion into the lakes.

Around 180 mile loop in all.

For those that fancy a bit of green laning there may be the option for a little gs friendly riding on gravel trails, for those that dont I'll provide an alternative point to ride on to and meet.

I'll check these lanes over nearer the event to see what state they are in case of any serious wash out.

For those that dont know Wasdale is right over the other side of the lakes not many tourists get over there. Lunch is intended to be at the Wasdale Inn, though you can bring your butties and have a nice picnic looking out over Wast Water.

For the green laning option I'd prefer to keep the group size to about 4-6 to avoid ruffelling feathers but for the road sections around 20 is fine.

Drop off system as other rides, a nominated tail end charlie would be a welcome addition though just in case.

I could do the TEC for you as I may have the "other half" on the back, and won't be doing the lanes.

If you can do a satnav route, that would be great.

I haven't met anyone on the forum but fancy a trip. Could you accommodate a newbie? !

Hi Lee hope you are well, good to see you back on here, I was thinking of giving you a ring soon as I am back in the UK for a few weeks.
When are you thinking of this ride ? I would be interested in tagging along but don't know the area well so would not be much use as tail end charlie, a little off roading would be nice though. :thumby:

I could do the TEC for you as I may have the "other half" on the back, and won't be doing the lanes.

If you can do a satnav route, that would be great.

Thank John much appreciated. What sat nav do you have?, I'll use basecamp to generate the route so I can send you file, though I'll be publising a print off page with route, key meeting points and phone number etc.

I haven't met anyone on the forum but fancy a trip. Could you accommodate a newbie? !

Hi Joe, Newbie will be no problem we wont be riding like lunatics, the objectvie is to try and stay off the sportsbike routes as much as possible.

Last I looked there is a twin room going spare in the pub due to a pull out.

Hi Lee hope you are well, good to see you back on here, I was thinking of giving you a ring soon as I am back in the UK for a few weeks.
When are you thinking of this ride ? I would be interested in tagging along but don't know the area well so would not be much use as tail end charlie, a little off roading would be nice though. :thumby:

Hi Ken, good to hear from you, it will be saturday 30th may at the Dent do, though I'm out riding next sunday with Nick (red/black 12gsa) and then weekend after come to think of it..though Nick's on preservation mode as he's chopping it in for a WC.

Thank John much appreciated. What sat nav do you have?, I'll use basecamp to generate the route so I can send you file, though I'll be publising a print off page with route, key meeting points and phone number etc.

Got a Nav V I'm trying to get the hang of, and a 660, so will be OK with basecamp.

Hi Lee I will try to meet up with you on Sunday if I can get the HP2 taxed on line tonight, are we going on or off road?.

[I still have your mobile]

With the weekend now nearly here thought it might be time to give this a bump and an update...

Doing the green lanes isn't really viable now as I'm 2 up and decent green lanes are few when trying to link into a good loop, so have decided to stick to road only (sorry Button Moon) I can if you wish point you in the right direction.

Wheels roll at 10:00 prompt meet at the car park in dent.
There will be a few fuel stops along the way but the first scheduled one on route is 30 miles away and back via hawes for another top up before home.

The GPX file from basecamp for the ride is available here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x0nih0gs4ejrd0a/Lakes Ride out.gpx?dl=0

Here is a screen dump of the route
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7sgd3hz5zpf6zoo/Lakes ride.jpg?dl=0

Its about 200 miles.

Lunch is at the Santon Bridge pub now, having eaten in there a few times the food is good solid hearty pub food.

The objective is to try and stay off the major a roads and popular routes where possible.

Back
Top Bottom