R1200GS ABS final Drive compatibility

Kersidan

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Hopefully one of you knowledgeable people can give some information on FD compatibility. I have a 2006 R1200GS and want to get a spare FD so that I can get the original refurbed at some point and not take the bike off the road for too long. The bike is an 04 model year manufactured in December 2005 but registered in 2006, it has ABS. Can later model year FD's be fitted and if so what model year up to. If anyone has part numbers as well that would be great. Looking on Realoem I think the part number for mine is 33118530076 but Realoem shows this with a drain plug, I don't have one!

I'm thinking that the critical issues are any potential difference in drive shaft splines, pivot points and ABS sensor?

If any bright sparks out there that can give a definitive on this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Mark

There are different gear ratios which is stamped on the case and the toothed ring that the speed sensor uses changes. Everything else fit wise is the same. Not a massive help to you as I don't know what years had what toothed ring as this is your biggest problem. Put the wrong one on and you won't have a speedo or abs. At a guess you will be on up to 07.

As far as real OEM you can buy a brand new FD for your bike with the correct toothed wheel but it has the new case with the drain and breather. Basically it is made to the new standard but compatible with your bike.

Make sense?

Thanks Marki, this is sort of what I expected but thanks for your input. Mine has the 31:11 final drive ratio which I believe is the norm. I'll have a looksi on Fleabay and check out part nos etc. If I buy one that's not compatible I can always sell it on!

Mark

the later 06 on has a larger speed sensor/mtg so will cause issues,it will physically fit but as stated above is not compatible with speedo/abs.
the earlier model has a black o'ring seal on the speed sensor,the later is green and has a spacer washer fitted

Thanks Marki, this is sort of what I expected but thanks for your input. Mine has the 31:11 final drive ratio which I believe is the norm. I'll have a looksi on Fleabay and check out part nos etc. If I buy one that's not compatible I can always sell it on!

Mark

Their are 2 on eBay just now that are £280 which is a very good price for a final drive.

If you are going to refurb anyway why not just ask mikeyboy off this site to rebuild, mine was sent off and returned within a week. Save yourself the expense of an FD that will sit around gathering dust.

A week off the road shouldn't be too long.

Mike needs about a week to do the job add a couple of days each end for delivery and it's all done in less than 2 weeks.
Get the trunnion bearings and drive shaft checked at the same time.

Thanks for the replies. As many of you have stated, the best option is a refurb by Mikeyboy. Saves the cost of a secondhand FD that may not be compatible and has potential issues. I did speak to Mikeyboy last year when I noticed that there was a very slight play on the pinion bearing. I haven't checked it since so don't know if it's got any worse. The actual FD turns smoothly and seems OK. Maybe a refurb at some point just to be on the safe side. Cheers Mark

If it’s of any interest to anyone, I’ve just fitted a final drive from a 2011 1200 ADV to a 2008 bike and all works perfectly

Attachments

• 1011900E-5DDC-49D3-A456-DB6787BF5A1F.jpg
    1011900E-5DDC-49D3-A456-DB6787BF5A1F.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 221
  • 78039358-7AA7-413B-A878-B0D488543A5A.jpg
    78039358-7AA7-413B-A878-B0D488543A5A.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 218
Basically if both bikes are pre 2006 and have servo ABS brakes

Then it will work

Post 2006 Non Servo ABS uses a different type of Tone wheel and sensor so you can fit it but the speedo won't work

Why the fuck they had to change the sensors and tone ring is probably a built in obsolescense!

Back
Top Bottom