T140 0pinions please ~

David Nimrod

Reality you can rely on...
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ever since I went to the Bike Show (at Olympia) in '79, I've wanted a T140...

Crazy, I know, but try as I might, I just can't get them out of my head :blast

So, who's riding one these days? Do you tour on it? Ownership experiences?

Any info on late '70's T140's (and the TR7V) would be good, Thanks :thumb2

I had one about 25 years ago. I went away on it a few times until it blew up on the way back from Carlisle. Nice bikes but I would have no desire to own one now. 60mph was ok and about the highest that I felt comfortable doing for any length of time. It would do plenty more but it just started to feel overly stressed and mechanical sympathy would inevitably make me slow down a bit.
I loved it for running around on though, it had a lovely feel that you only get with older bikes. A raw, visceral feeling where you can feel the engine beating beneath you.

As an everyday bike nowadays for me, not a chance. As a sunny Sunday toy...possibly.

Did see this yesterday, thought of you, same line of work as you, real enthusiast, used for work, touring, 1964 vintage, owned for 20 years. T120

As an aside, a mate of mine bought one in 1980, we toured Europe, him on his T140 and me on my CB750. Needless to say, he still has his T140 and uses it, my CB750 has long gone.

Attachments

• S0624072 (Small).jpg
    S0624072 (Small).jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 814
  • S0574067 (Small).jpg
    S0574067 (Small).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 744
  • S0584068 (Small).jpg
    S0584068 (Small).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 748
  • S0654076 (Small).jpg
    S0654076 (Small).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 706
Why does this sound familiar..?

:D

'Triumph in the Shed Club' was a common saying around our way. Or TITS as it was affectionately known.

Here's mine (and me) rebuilt after the fateful blow up and with a lovely new pipe that I had made for it. Ooh, takes me back – Atgatt, my arse! :D

Attachments

• DSCF1492.jpg
    DSCF1492.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 716
  • DSCF1493.jpg
    DSCF1493.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 693
Course it bloody is, who do you think it is?

Looks like a relatively youthful Vladimir Lenin......:nenau

It has been said before...but anyway, back to the T140s. I've already helped upset one person this evening for straying wildly off topic. :D

Meaty, Beaty, big and bouncy! Is what a pal had on his T140. It was in Letraset or some similar 70s tech. The Who album reference held together, the bike did not. Tour, if you have a good recovery option and a decent tool kit and spares. Otherwise, spend hours fettling and minutes riding.

Not for the "larger" gentleman..........:D A decade or so ago I, foolishly, re-visited my youth....some things are best left as memories. Great little bike for razzing round on, but not for any distance....for me, anyway. Short-arses may see it differently...

I rode a 64 T120r for several years. It was a great bike. Great fun.

A friend rode his 79, us spec t140, round the coast of Australia and even crossed the nullabore on it. No problems at all.

To be honest David you'd be best advised to steer well clear. They're lovely bikes when they're right, unfortunately they're not right that often. You'd be better off buying one of the new Bonnies and kitting it out to suit your needs.

If you can imagine an airhead that needs at least twice as much spanner time and money throwing at it you'll have an idea of what owning a t140 is like.

...spend hours fettling and minutes riding.

Wishing I'd done it 'first time 'round'... My first big bike was chosen between a V50, a T140 and a Z650.

As various people I knew who rode Triumph's at the time were experiencing what you describe above...

I chose the Kawasaki. And apart from a regular ignition coil problem, it was pretty good, until it blew up.

Wise words :
some things are best left as memories

You'd be better off buying one of the new Bonnies and kitting it out to suit your needs.

Good advice for a mechanical incompetent like me :D

But that'd miss the mark completely, 'cos it's the late '70's thing I'm after.

And as we know - Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

I think I'll be filing this under 'Stupid Ideas I can't afford anyway' for now.

I happen to have a 79 US spec T140 being slowly rebuilt (in the kitchen!) Hopefully it'll be finished this summer although I remember saying that last year. I know it'll need constant spannering but that's what I do and enjoy plus it's been in the family for over 30 years so won't be sold.

If you do buy one prices are increasing so now might be the time!

Back
Top Bottom