"Project"

bakerlonglegs

Relative numpty
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
See also "barn find" :augie

all-blurred.jpg

I've got my work cut out for me! :D It's a 1953 BSA A10 plunger, complete with original logbook and owners manual.

Feck me Andy, you're a brave man..........................................laying it all out in the hall like that. :augie

Good luck with that and keep us posted with the rebuild.

Looks like it's all there... :D

Good Luck :thumb2

It'll be great, when it's done...

The splunge grundle rocker cover is missing.

This part often failed on this model and very rare to replace.

Fortunately for you I have one as new one for sale, competitively priced at £10k

Mods feel free to move this to the for sale and wanted section.

Thanks for the replies - the pic was taken in the kitchen :augie . Mrs BLL actually encouraged me to get a project, as she was fed up with me hanging around the house, I'm not sure she expected this much mess......

I don't see a seat......:rolleyes:

Good luck, should keep you busy for a while.

The splunge grundle rocker cover is missing.

This part often failed on this model and very rare to replace.

Fortunately for you I have one as new one for sale, competitively priced at £10k

Oh, there's a lot missing from this collection of bits :blast . No seat as you spotted, no carb, no exhaust. The pistons are there, but scrap as they'd seized before one of the previous owners took it to bits. The camshaft looks like it might need replacing. The crank needs re-grinding. I've bought a parts catalogue and found that the list of missing nuts, bolts, studs, gaskets, washers and pins is huge. Plus (thanks Dave :D) the inspection covers are missing from the rocker covers. I haven't started the missing list for the frame and electrics yet (although the wiring looks completely boogered).

This is going to be a loooonnng project, a year or so at least, for three reasons: there's a hell of a lot of work to do, I can't afford to throw money at everything that needs doing all at once and I'd like to take my time over it. I'm enjoying the challenge already. I took the engine to T&L Engineering this morning, good discussion there about the best way to handle that part of it, so that's the first and biggest bit underway. Next up will be the gearbox.

Some more pics of the carnage....

Pretty colour.....

regulator.jpg

It's cracking up.

speedo.jpg

Rusty on the inside....

tank_1.jpg

Hopefully OK, but exhaust seats to get unleaded conversion.

valve_seats.jpg

Rebore ahoy!

lip.jpg

Probably replace...

camshaft.jpg

Tinware, the airfilter/battery holder is quite rare apparently.

tinware.jpg

Its easy enough, a nice project.
I find putting a standard bike together OK, its customs or specials that take the time.
There is plenty of help on owners forums and good sub-contractors for powdercoating and parts refurbishing.

"Project"

Powder coat on the frame won't look right but you could get it shot blasted & conductive zinc primed at a coaters. Its better protection than zinc paint. Alternatively zinc electro plate with etch primer.
The pretty red box is the voltage regulator relay for the 6V DC dynamo. These days you can get 12V alternators that look like Lucas (Prince of Darkness) dynamos. The old magnetos work quite well. Mine was said to be dead but the bike still ran fine.

Powder coat on the frame won't look right but you could get it shot blasted & conductive zinc primed at a coaters. Its better protection than zinc paint. Alternatively zinc electro plate with etch primer.
The pretty red box is the voltage regulator relay for the 6V DC dynamo. These days you can get 12V alternators that look like Lucas (Prince of Darkness) dynamos. The old magnetos work quite well. Mine was said to be dead but the bike still ran fine.
Reminded me of the voltage regulator on a 6volt MZ.
I got a complete spare Bike with one of mine. When i looked inside the regulator, it points were held apart with a bit of a Rizla packet! :blast
... mind you - i used the same trick when my own failed. :p

do all the metalwork as standard and put modern electrics on it..:thumb

looks like a case of just sending the bits to various trades and reassembling them when they get back...:)

..or are you koing to get your hands dirty ?

Sheesh! What a lovely project!

There's a coupe of hundred hours of very rewarding work right there!!

Hiding ignition coils could awkward but the old mags were pretty good. Only ditched because of costs. The dynamos were terrible. The 60 watt Lucas struggled to give 1/2 of that in normal use.

Hope you've got the flat pack instruction manual.

You're lucky to have the tinware in such good condition!

Good luck with the rebuild.

Thanks for the posts and the suggestions! :thumb2 :beerjug: I'm kinda feeling my way along here, so ideas welcome. I am pleased the tinware is all there and I'm already thinking on ideas to make a filter to fit the airbox.

The replacement regulator has arrived, after a bit of digging around on t'internet. This was chosen after recommendations on classic bike forums, plus it can be used on 6V as now or 12V if I chose to uprate. Another reason for choosing this one is it fits inside the old reg case, so will keep the original look. However, maybe I've bought this too soon? Read on....

reg.jpg

The engine was missing the rocker inspection covers. You can buy them new with various words/logos on top, but I wanted something that would fit the finish of the rest of the rocker cover, so eBay produced these, which will come up nice.

inspection_covers.jpg

The engine machining/grinding requirements are beyond my skills and garage tools, but I've decided to have a go stripping the gearbox. Never done one before, but encouraging comments from a BSA forum suggest it's do-able. If I don't try I won't learn.

I'm in the middle of pondering what to do with the K2F magneto and the E3L dynamo. The magneto is in a very sorry state, as a previous owner dismantled it and damaged it in the process. The magneto is also missing the contact breaker assembly, amongst other parts.

magneto.jpg

The dynamo is at least in one piece, just missing the screw to hold the cover on, but after so long I'm not trusting it without a strip and rebuild.

dynamo.jpg

One of the quotes I've had to get a company restore the mag could come in at over £500 and the dynamo at maybe over £300 :eek: . Before that, I had intended to keep the electrics spec as originally designed, 6V and all, but with those costs I'm beginning to be tempted by the idea of 12V and modern electronics.... I'm only scratching the surface of this subject yet, more quotes, thinking and research needed. (Maybe I did buy that new reg too soon??)

Haven't got as far as frame and tinware finishes, that's next month's research...

(Tunneruk - is that sort of tank resto something you'd take on?)

Back
Top Bottom