Alaska 2016

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
I've not done an Alaska trip for a couple of years for one reason and another but it's time we visited this brilliant place again.

I've managed to reduce my normal Alaska trip to 3 weeks which should be better for a lot of people. To do this, we are going to fly the bikes directly into Anchorage rather than ship into Santa Rosa California and ride up which will save a lot of time. It also gives us more time up in Alaska itself. We will then ride some stunning roads and through the most fantastic scenery you will ever see back down to Santa Rosa California where we will ship the bikes home.

However, the eagle eyed amongst you will note that details below say it's 4 weeks. This is because there is an option to do the Dalton Highway if you fly in a week early. The Dalton is a 500 mile each way dirt road up to Prudhoe Bay and is a real challenge so we will do this separately and before the rest of the trip. After the Dalton, those doing it will ride back over to Anchorage. If you don't want to do the Dalton Highway, the rest of the trip is 3 weeks long, is all tarmac and suitable for just about any bike. They can get a bit rough in places but road tyres are no problem.

This trip is definitely a go-er as I've had a few people badger me to do it and have signed up. Hardly a hardship but there you go.

Here is a basic overview of the route but if you want more details, please PM me with your e-mail and I'll get it across to you.

Saturday 9th July Collect bikes from airport
Sunday 10th July Ride to Fairbanks
Monday 11th July Check bikes and Dalton Hwy
Tuesday 12th July Dalton Highway to Prudhoe Bay (Deadhorse)
Wednesday 13th July Dalton Highway back to Fairbanks
Thursday 14th July Chenai Hot Springs
Friday 15th July Back to Anchorage
Saturday 16th July Day off
Sunday 17th July Hwy 1 through Kenai Peninsular
Monday 18th July Kenai
Tuesday 19th July Denali National Park
Wednesday 20th July Hwy 8 Denali Highway
Thursday 21st July Top of the World Hwy to Dawson City
Friday 22nd July Klondike Hwy
Saturday 23rd July Haines Hwy
Sunday 24th July Ferry across to Skagway and day off
Monday 25th July Alcan Highway
Tuesday 26th July Cassiar Hwy to Hyder
Wednesday 27th July Salmon Tail Glacier
Thursday 28th July Hwy 37 and Hwy 16 through BC
Friday 29th July Hwy 16 and Mt Robson
Saturday 30th July Icefields Pky & Athabasca Glacier
Sunday 31st July Across Southern British Columbia
Monday 1st August Through border and Washington Cascades
Tuesday 2nd August Mt St Helens
Wednesday 3rd August Crater lake
Thursday 4th August Great Central CA roads and Giant Redwoods
Friday 5th August Pacific Coast Hwy and drop bikes off.
Saturday 6th August Fly Home

Attachments

• Crater2.JPG
    Crater2.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 1,686
  • Dalton View.JPG
    Dalton View.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,693
  • All at Athabasca.jpg
    All at Athabasca.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,682
Pleased my constant badgering did the trick. You can count me in for the 4 weeks Chris. but, you already new that :D

Looks like we are going to be travelling companions again Pete (newboy) :clap

Pleased my constant badgering did the trick. You can count me in for the 4 weeks Chris. but, you already new that :D

Looks like we are going to be travelling companions again Pete (newboy) :clap

Sadly - yes (At least Sue knows there is someone to remind you to take your tablets and point you in the right direction) :aidan

4 weeks for me too please...

Rather tempted by this Chris . . despite the photo of some well dodgy characters you chosen to adorn the thread.

:rob We were specially chosen to make Chris look youthful and handsome:D

If you get the chance, go. You won't regret it for a second.

Sadly - yes (At least Sue knows there is someone to remind you to take your tablets and point you in the right direction) :aidan

4 weeks for me too please...

Hopefully wont need the painkillers by then as i will have my new knee and as far as pointing me in the right direction goes i will have Mark as well as you for that job :D

Rather tempted by this Chris . . despite the photo of some well dodgy characters you chosen to adorn the thread.
Oi who are you calling dodgy (mind you those yellow specs on top of my head do give my grey hair a certain je ne sais Qoi)

Hi, what is the chance of using a space in the container, me and the misses are interested in riding but would to take more days off. Is it possible to pay for space in the container and do our own thing...ish or just dip in and out of your trip.
Cheers, Paul.

Hi, what is the chance of using a space in the container, me and the misses are interested in riding but would to take more days off. Is it possible to pay for space in the container and do our own thing...ish or just dip in and out of your trip.
Cheers, Paul.

Yes Paul, that would be no problem. I've got a second trip running so you could come out to Alaska and make your own way down and come back in the second container from Santa Rosa. A few people will be doing this i suspect.

Hi, that sounds great. What is the 2nd trip and what dates are you looking at for the containers/trip. Either way please count me in. Thanks.

Cyclist

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lIbcBZubsUY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Sorry it's a push biker, but I thought of you lot doing the Alaska trip with Chris.
I think this gives a fantastic view of the place and people and what you can expect to see and do up there

Uturn Tony, you will love it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lIbcBZubsUY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Sorry it's a push biker, but I thought of you lot doing the Alaska trip with Chris.
I think this gives a fantastic view of the place and people and what you can expect to see and do up there

Uturn Tony, you will love it.

Cheers Paul. Watched a sample of it; looks good; will watch it in full later :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom