claerwen dam to pontrhydfendigaid

But the rest of the 123 miles is slightly more challenging!

If it rains up here next week like it has today I would think twice about riding Strata those rivers will be HIGH and flowing fast.
I will be riding Strata with a group on Thursday will let you know what the rivers are like.

Any advanced Intel would, of course, be helpful. But I've never seen the crossings of the Strata Florida when they are totally impassable.

Any advanced Intel would, of course, be helpful. But I've never seen the crossings of the Strata Florida when they are totally impassable.

Rivers on Strata Florida very low today, I will be guiding a group of 12 riders on Saturday and SF is on our route so may well see you

Rivers on Strata Florida very low today, I will be guiding a group of 12 riders on Saturday and SF is on our route so may well see you

You won't miss me in the Polaris!!

We're starting in Rhayader; up the Rhayader 'Golf Course'; Claewen Dam; along the side of the reservoir; speak nicely to the farmer; Strata Florida; south to Llandovery; snick across the top of the Brecon Beacons Park; Tirabad; Newbridge-under-Wye; Rhayader. It's a 123 mile loop - we may not get it all done.

You won't miss me in the Polaris!!

We're starting in Rhayader; up the Rhayader 'Golf Course'; Claewen Dam; along the side of the reservoir; speak nicely to the farmer; Strata Florida; south to Llandovery; snick across the top of the Brecon Beacons Park; Tirabad; Newbridge-under-Wye; Rhayader. It's a 123 mile loop - we may not get it all done.
Don't bother asking the farmer just ride, be careful in Beacons Park they are getting shit hot.
We did the old Roman road near Tiradad today nice lane.
How many or you out on Saturday

Don't bother asking the farmer just ride, be careful in Beacons Park they are getting shit hot.
We did the old Roman road near Tiradad today nice lane.
How many or you out on Saturday

I like to ask the farmer out of courtesy - it's his private land!

There will be me and my squeeze in the Polaris; bandit on a KTM 500; darkhorse on a Beemer G450X and Bounce on something else

I like to ask the farmer out of courtesy - it's his private land!

There will be me and my squeeze in the Polaris; bandit on a KTM 500; darkhorse on a Beemer G450X and Bounce on a Husqvarna 250

Updated with the bike I was riding.......plus a couple of videos :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dJwiHmazIm8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VJz2QCyVoms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qL9oq_kcwN8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My batteries in the go pro decided to die on me, so all the more reason to re-visit this glorious part of Wales with fresh batteries :D

I spent some time chatting with the farmer at the head of the Claerwen Reservoir this morning. He and his wife are really nice people. They live totally off-grid and can't even get a mobile signal.

He's getting a bit pissed with bikers who hoon through his land like they own it. It is private land, the public right of way around the reservoir ends at the gate near his farmhouse.

He has recently been threatened by some trail bikers. That's unforgiveable and does huge damage to biking goodwill.

Next time you're passing through, earn some goodwill - take him a few tinnies and something for his wife and ASK if it's OK to ride across his land. Win-win.

Next time you're passing through, earn some goodwill - take him a few tinnies and something for his wife and ASK if it's OK to ride across his land. Win-win.

Top idea this :thumb2 although make sure they're packed securely, last year stopped & picked a few beers/milk up in Rhayader threw them in the top box along with over night clothes etc then had a respectful but spirited ride through Claerwen staying up by devils bridge. Looked like all hell had broke loose when i opened the top box milk & Heineken everywhere :comfort

Top idea this :thumb2 although make sure they're packed securely, last year stopped & picked a few beers/milk up in Rhayader threw them in the top box along with over night clothes etc then had a respectful but spirited ride through Claerwen staying up by devils bridge. Looked like all hell had broke loose when i opened the top box milk & Heineken everywhere :comfort

Previous trip I took bottles of beer - total fail - whilst the bottles survived, the crown caps couldn't contain the beer.

Can worked fine.

Any recent news on this?
I have fishing access to both the Claerwen Dam and the Teifi pools. Not having to ride all the way back and round ot fish the pools after fishing the dam for a day would be nice! The TRF types ride far too fast for me, I am loaded with my camping gear and fishing gear, so bottom gear at just above tick over is my kind of plodding, but it beats walking. The throttle is my enemy, not my friend... if it is that sticky, I ain't going!

Any recent news on this?
I have fishing access to both the Claerwen Dam and the Teifi pools. Not having to ride all the way back and round ot fish the pools after fishing the dam for a day would be nice! The TRF types ride far too fast for me, I am loaded with my camping gear and fishing gear, so bottom gear at just above tick over is my kind of plodding, but it beats walking. The throttle is my enemy, not my friend... if it is that sticky, I ain't going!
All rideable around the Dam. you can do it on a 1150 GSA, with panniers and a topbox

Your XCountry or 80GS would piss it easily

c1d0a3bd01f12e7f6471cb66bc9e85eb.jpg

3c2e4f8623ac26445a6161707ddbb9dc.jpg

324818a68092560eece35ed30561c2cf.jpg

Last edited:
I rode from the dam towards Pontrhydfendigaid at the end of May, admittedly on my pushbike. It was all very do-able gravel roads, in fact we met a pair of German riders on tourers coming the other way. They were a little concerned that they had read the satnav wrong as they hadn't seen a road sign for miles. The only point of concern could be the stream crossings if it has been raining heavily.
Mark

Any recent news on this?

Yes easily done. Did it 2 up in the wet with Mrs N westwards. Ask permission from the farmer.

Attachments

• IMG_3444.jpeg
    IMG_3444.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3447.jpeg
    IMG_3447.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 6
I went round there on my emtb earlier this year too. Big rucksack and a tent. Just before you get to the farm i turned right and went straight up to the survey point thingy overlooking everything! :thumb2 IMG_2489.jpegIMG_2485.jpegIMG_2482.jpegIMG_2483.jpegIMG_2480.jpegIMG_2479.jpegIMG_2473.jpegIMG_2477.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom