New Michelin maps for France

Wapping

Reaction score
Despite the ever encroaching tyranny of the GPS device, the good folk at Michelin have launched some new maps.

They are the 706 thro' 709 range, which between them divide France into four useful equal quarters, broadly speaking:

• 706 NW France, from roughly Amiens, due south to Clermont Ferrand / Limoges, embracing the whole of Normandy and Brittany.
  • 707 NE France, from roughly Calais / Lille / Strasbourg south as far as Dijon / Besancon, then west to roughly Rouen / Orleans.
  • 708 SW France, roughly Poitiers southwards, to embrace Clermont Ferrand, Montpellier and east as far as Pau.
  • 709 SE France, from Dijon / Besancon, south to Nice and westwards as far as Clermont Ferrand / Rodez / Montpellier.

They are at a useful scale of 1:500,000 with pretty good detail, right down to all but the smallest roads and villages; certainly more than good enough for any amount of imaginative planning and more detailed than Michelin's traditional 724 and 725 maps which split France into two halves north and south along the horizontal axis Nantes / Dijon, at a 1:1,000,000 scale.

Why are they good? Few people ever need a really detailed map for the whole of France for each trip they take. Where these maps do score is where bods really only want say the NE corner, as far south as Dijon and say maybe the SE corner to get themselves to the Med or French Alps, not needing to touch Brittany or the Pyraneees at all. Back them up with one of Michelin's very detailed 5 series maps for when you are at your destination and the job's as good as done.

Price £5.99 from any half decent map sellers or bookshop; so not much more than a pint of nasty lager and they'll last you longer, too. I bought mine from the ever fantastic Daunt's bookshop in Marylebone High Street, W1. If anyone ever needs books for their travels, it is THE place to go. Easy parking in the area on Sundays, too.

me too.. cheers wapping:thumby:

Ditto !

yep me to cheers Wapping ordered all four direct from Michelin :thumby: £5.99 each orders over £20 free delivery ! Well pleased

mine came today via amazon..good stuff:thumby:

Excellent - thanks for the info.
The eastern set will do nicely for our September trip from Zebrugge to Corsica and back.

Picked these up too. Excellent maps.

I got them from Stanfords on Long Acre near Covent Garden in London. Absolutely the most fascinating place if you like maps. Huge collection of all kinds of maps. The also have a web shop at http://www.stanfords.co.uk/

Anyone know if the 722 map cover Belgium, Luxembourg and The Black Forest area of Germany?

Many thanks

Anyone know if the 722 map cover Belgium, Luxembourg and The Black Forest area of Germany?

Many thanks

The map extends a bit over the eastern borders of France, though you'd be better of buying Michelin's bespoke Belgian / Luxembourg and the correct Germany maps.

Being Michelin, the company produces several German and several Benelux maps. Pick the ones that suit you best.

The map extends a bit over the eastern borders of France, though you'd be better of buying Michelin's bespoke Belgian / Luxembourg and the correct Germany maps.

Being Michelin, the company produces several German and several Benelux maps. Pick the ones that suit you best.

Cheers.

Are they the same ones I saw in an autoroute shop which had been plasticised?

Back
Top Bottom