The Great Grimm Tour

well finaly after a little promting i will try and finish this RR. We made our way to the B&B we had booked the night before on booking.com, it is situated in a small village called Nasserieth just outside of Imst, a small place very basic but clean enough and a was run by a very quirky old lady who didnt speak a word of english, we dubbed her frau yar yar because thats about all she said but she was kind enough, and let us use the garage to put the bike in overnight. we were to stay there 3 nights, just long enough to do a few of things that were missed the last time we were in the area, one these included going up to the top of Zugspitz the highest mountain in Germany. Be aware taking the train or cable car to the top is not cheap, for the two of us from the station just outside Garmisch was 109 euro,the journey takes about three quaters of an hour, with a stop on the way at a viewpoint overlooking a lake. The rest of our time in Austria was spent just traveling around and just enjoying the scenery. A few pics from the zugspitz and the B&B.

Attachments

• IMG_8897.jpg
    IMG_8897.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_8902.jpg
    IMG_8902.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_8923.jpg
    IMG_8923.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_8931.jpg
    IMG_8931.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_8969.jpg
    IMG_8969.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 398
From Austria it was time to move on to Germany Via Fussen and the Romantic Route, this we would follow up to Augsburg for an overnight stop, and then head towards the Vosges going through the black forest. There are some really nice towns/villages on the Romantic route but due to time we only managed a couple of stops one of them being the delightful Landsburg am lech where we had a late lunch before moving on. We hit our final destination for the day Augsburg at peak time, and traffic was a nightmare, we were stoping at a place on the other side of the city and had to go through it to get there, we later found out that the reason for all the traffic was due to a big accident on the motorway that had closed it down.
A few pics below of Landsburg am lech

Attachments

• IMG_9041.jpg
    IMG_9041.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_9046.jpg
    IMG_9046.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_9056.jpg
    IMG_9056.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_9029.jpg
    IMG_9029.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 405
Thanks to crash and burn for bumping this thread. Missed it first time round. Really enjoyed it so far leedude. Now pull ya fekkin finger out and crack on. :thumb

Getting close to end of the tour with just the vosges and Verdun to see, and the trip back up to calais for the train home to blighty.
We had a a realy good ride from Augsburg and the black forest, through some of the pretiest villages and along some of the best back roads you could wish for, the black forest always brings a smile to my face. we arrived at our hotel just before tea time, its location just off the route de vin close to riquewihr, and once unpacked we had a wander out to find a place to get a meal.
The next three days were spent in and around the vosges, i think we did every village along the route de vin as well as munster, where my lady got real exited as they were digging up old skeletons just outside of the cathedral, she likes that time team sort of thing. We also did the five chateaux route just outside of Munster, and visited the French and German cemeteries near Le Linge, all in all a great few days with very good weather. First few photos from villages along the route de vin.

Attachments

• IMG_9059.jpg
    IMG_9059.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_9074.jpg
    IMG_9074.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_9083.jpg
    IMG_9083.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_9073.jpg
    IMG_9073.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 360
A few from munster and the cemertaries and also the chateaux route.

Attachments

• IMG_9091.jpg
    IMG_9091.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_9092.jpg
    IMG_9092.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_9134.jpg
    IMG_9134.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_9136.jpg
    IMG_9136.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 364
a few more

Attachments

• IMG_9107.jpg
    IMG_9107.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_9112.jpg
    IMG_9112.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_9117.jpg
    IMG_9117.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_9127.jpg
    IMG_9127.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 586
We have been to the vosges a few times and always find new things to see, i guess you could spend a couple of weeks there and still have things left to see and do, you could also use it as a central location to get into the black forest and as far down as Switzerland, and if you are blessed with good weather it really is a very pretty and interesting part of France.
From the Vosges we now move on to our final destination Verdun, and as with the Vosage we had been here before, and its one of my ladies favourite places, in all honesty its one of those places that has so much to offer, especially if you are into WW1 history, no matter where you go in the area you will find evidence of what went on in and around Verdun, just pick up a guide book from the tourist information and away you go.

Attachments

• IMG_9151.jpg
    IMG_9151.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_9155.jpg
    IMG_9155.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_9170.jpg
    IMG_9170.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_9178.jpg
    IMG_9178.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_9182.jpg
    IMG_9182.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 515
And so we reach the end and all that was left was the run up to the tunnel to hop on the train and home.
So almost five weeks on the road and only around 20hrs of rain that we actually had ridden in, no mishaps of any description and a fantastic time was had by both of us.

Trip highlights for me.

The Harz region, including Dora mittlebau.

Colditz and the hotel we stayed in.

Terezin, was not expecting that.

Birkenau, Can not really be described as a highlight for obvious reasons, but just go.

Slovenia, all of it.

The run from Augsburg to the Vosges.

My ladies highlights.

The ferry crossing from Harwich to hooke,

Poland, the visit to the salt mine, and watching all the religious parades on the road to Slovakia.

Slovenia, Lake Bled and Lake Bohinjska.

The Dolomites and surounding area.

Germany the Zugspitze and Landsburg am lech. the ride from Augsburg to the Vosges.

Munster and the archaeological dig. The Vosges.

The ride from the Vosges to Verdun in the rain, and verdun.

And thats it.

Great wee write up Leedude,I'm Hoping to get to Slovenia later in the year all being well.

Norrie

Great wee write up Leedude,I'm Hoping to get to Slovenia later in the year all being well.

Norrie

Norrie many thanks, i am sure you will enjoy Slovenia and all it has to offer it is a realy nice place.

Superb & cracking pictures... :clap :clap :clap

Hadn't read this RR before this morning, it was really interesting. I've been to some of the places you visited but I now want to go back and visit some more... one day.

Back
Top Bottom