Auto train from Paris to Briancon

2015 price guide... And more guff..... Page 12 'How to buy' etc.

http://autotrain.voyages-sncf.com/autotrain-webapp/pdf/common/Guide_Auto_Train_2015_en.pdf

Google: auto train 2015 prices sncf

Gazza use this link to book passenger train, http://uk.voyages-sncf.com/en/?redirect=yes.

This gives you an idea of cost for 2, one way from gar de lyon to avignon using the TGV .

Nice one, reasonably priced as well, might do this in October now , cheers.

Gazza if booking the passenger train the earlier you book the cheaper it is, but you can only book 3 months in advance, so to get the best price try to book exactly 3 months before date of departure.

Panniers

http://autotrain.voyages-sncf.com/dynamic/autotrain-webapp/homeControl.action. here is a link to the french booking site that i always use. just fill the right hand side,

Aller simple one way
Aller-retour return

Votre gare de départ where you want to go from
Votre gare d'arrivée where you want to arrive at

Aller le * outward date
Retour le return date

MOTO / SCOOTER

Je certifie que ma moto ou mon scooter respecte ces dimensions. tick this box to certify your bike is no taller than 1.55 m.

then click Rechercher to search prices.

this will give you the prices for the service. you can then book from there, and they send the tickets to you either by post or email all very easy.

Some more tips. I always leave my panniers and top box with all gear in and just remove tank bag to take on passenger train, in the four or five times i have used the service never had any damage or stuff go missing, you can get extra insurance when you arrive at bercy to load the bike, just go into the office, as i recall last time it was 20 euro for 3000 euro cover.

if you go to Avignon via bercy there is a cheap F1 hotel in walking distance from TGV avignon, we stay there the night and get them to book us a taxi for the morning to go and collect the bike from the autotrain station thats about 7k from the hotel, taxi was about 10 euro.

It all may seem a little daunting but do it and you will find its easy. Bercy is a 10 minute walk from Gar De Lyon.
they also do a train to Biaritz that will get you very close to the pyraneese and spain, we will probably use this on next years trip.

Hi just wanted to check the pannier situation - it didn't seem quite clear on the French site (to me anyway) as to whether you could just leave them on the bike - would be top box and the vario panniers - also saw on a couple of other forums people talking about taking their luggage on a TGV - which would be a real pain - seems like you have left tehm on the bike without a problem

Hi just wanted to check the pannier situation - it didn't seem quite clear on the French site (to me anyway) as to whether you could just leave them on the bike - would be top box and the vario panniers - also saw on a couple of other forums people talking about taking their luggage on a TGV - which would be a real pain - seems like you have left tehm on the bike without a problem

No issue with leaving your panniers and top box on the bike, just remember the 1.55 metre hight limit, and its just a short walk from Gar de Bercey to Gar de Lyon, about 10 mins, we take just the gear we ride in and helmets and tank bag onto the tgv. if you have not booked the tgv look at booking first class its not a great deal more if you book well in advance and there is more room and comfort, thats not to say the second class is bad though.

Seems the max height of the bike is 1.55m: that's the screen off then :( (R1150 GSA)

Sont acceptés : motos, scooter et side
-car sauf mobylettes à partir de 49,6 cm3 s'ils ne dépassent pas 1,55 m de hauteur et s'ils ont une garde au sol d'au moins 0,1 m.
Largeur maximum 2,5 m

Seems the max height of the bike is 1.55m: that's the screen off then :( (R1150 GSA)

Sont acceptés : motos, scooter et side
-car sauf mobylettes à partir de 49,6 cm3 s'ils ne dépassent pas 1,55 m de hauteur et s'ils ont une garde au sol d'au moins 0,1 m.
Largeur maximum 2,5 m

Yes as the above posts say max height is indeed 1.55m,

OK this is a fairly old thread, i'm looking at using the Paris - Briancon overnight auto train in June anyone used it recently???

is it still good/worthwhile??? any issues???

I'm organising a group of about 8 of us going to Italy this seems a fairly good way of chopping out a days ride getting down to the Alps

looking at the train passenger price is around £50 i cant get a price on the bike yet but guessing it will be around £100 ish??

not used it recently, but all i will say is book your tgv tickets well in advance, it used to be 3months in advance was the earliest but i think it may have gone to 4, it will make a massive difference to price. from what i can see the autotrain is still 99euro, you can take extra insurance out cheaply at bercy if you so wish. looking at the prices to briancon its half as much to get to avignon typical price one way from paris to avignon on tgv is 18 euro and its quicker. it may be worth thinking about.

Hi Lee thanks for the responce, my take is we rock up put the bikes on an earlier train in Paris then we get the evening overnight train and arrive the next morning and collect the bikes somewhere near the station at Briancon?
All we want is simplicity that saves time.

Whats the need for insurance? ;)

If you are taking the TGV from Paris to Avignon, as it is said already book a few months ahead but get 1st class it will only be a few euros difference, and far more comfort after a nice ride to Paris.

We used the Marseilles to Paris Autotrain in June. Can’t praise the service enough. Staff very professional. They load the bikes after you drop them off. €99 for the bike. 1st class TGV €35. Will definately use again.

Great stuff thanks all for the feed back have been looking at the links in this thread was nearly put off with the insurance stuff but roughly135euros one way sounds good.

Still looking at options we were originally going to Spain via ferry to Santandar from Portsmouth but already fully booked. so this is plan B

Hey Smogbob I have often fancied riding up to Scotland, I am sure it is stunning that route looks superb, will do it at some stage soon, the problem for us here in Jersey (well its not really a problem more a choice) either UK/Scotland or France/Pyrenees/Alps its one hour by ferry to France then off you go, or 5 hour ferry to UK........

Unfortunately France, Pyrenees or Alps wins everytime.

Furthest north ive been on my bike is Oulton park for the BSB a few years ago headed back down via Shrewsbury, Hereford & Bristol avoiding the M6 lovely countryside.

Hey Smogbob I have often fancied riding up to Scotland, I am sure it is stunning that route looks superb, will do it at some stage soon, the problem for us here in Jersey (well its not really a problem more a choice) either UK/Scotland or France/Pyrenees/Alps its one hour by ferry to France then off you go, or 5 hour ferry to UK........

Unfortunately France, Pyrenees or Alps wins everytime.

Furthest north ive been on my bike is Oulton park for the BSB a few years ago headed back down via Shrewsbury, Hereford & Bristol avoiding the M6 lovely countryside.

Sure you know this website, if not it is useful.

https://www.seat61.com/Motorail.htm

Great stuff thanks all for the feed back have been looking at the links in this thread was nearly put off with the insurance stuff but roughly135euros one way sounds good.

Still looking at options we were originally going to Spain via ferry to Santandar from Portsmouth but already fully booked. so this is plan B

what are you referring to when you say insurance, the extra i was talking about at bercy was if any damage or loss of items attached to the bike occurred, this cost me at bercy circa 20euro for around 3000 euro extra cover, hope this helps.

with reference to ease you could do tgv to Nice or avignon and bikes could go overnight to either destination, i think bike to avignon is 99euro and to nice is 120euro or thats what it was last year tgv would be cheap as well.

Back
Top Bottom