Back on a GS.

Chapperz

Reaction score
Hi All,
Picked up my new bike last Saturday. Got a 2002 GS1150 with 30K on the clock. I always liked the look of the 1150 especially in the blue & white paint job and I`m just getting used to the bike at the moment. I have had a GS before but it was a twin cam 1200 and this has a different feel to it ie gearbox and slight power difference. Looking forward to now using and enjoying the bike as at first I thought I may have made a mistake going from a 1200 to an 1150, although I am sure there are alot of people out there who would say it was the best move I could have made. Anyway, just wanted to say hi and I will try and attach a picture.

R1150GS_zps5rzudazn.jpg

Hi Chapperz, I did the same thing. Was offered a 2002 1150GS (mandarin yellow) with less than 10k on the clock, practically on a plate, back in 2010. I had problems with the electrics for a long time and wondered whether I'd made a terrible mistake in selling my 05 1200. After much fruitless investigation by various dealers, the problem manifested itself as a faulty Meta alarm system. Took that off completely and the bike has run fantastically ever since. The feel of the bike is markedly different from the 1200, but I think this might be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Welcome.

Thanks mrsroynie,
Yes, as you say, the 1150 is markedly different to the 1200 and obviously the first thing I did was try to compare the 1150 to the1200 which is where I went wrong. The more I ride the 1150 though the more I am beginning to click with it, so I hope you are right and it is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
Cheers.

It's the best colour imho I'd have another if they weren't so damn heavy

Hi bisbee,Yeah, I love the colour scheme.I have only had the bike a week and I have had more comments about it in this week than I had with my ZRX1200 in over a year. Crazy eh? I even had a guy in a BT van at the traffic lights shouting across `Love the bike mate`! - Re the weight,
I know what you mean, but I am only 11 stone,5ft 9" with a 29" inside leg and the only thing I will struggle with is moving the bike around when stationary or pulling the bike out of a forward facing slope so I will just have to try and not get myself into that position with it. Other than that (& apart from dropping it...touch wood I don`t !!) then I should be ok as once on the move the weight disappears as you know. I did sit on a mates Honda Varadero 1000cc at the weekend and that felt just as heavy as the GS!! Well it did to me but I am not sure of the weight differences. Saying that, the ZRX wasnt that light.
Chapperz.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Nice looking bike, I've always had a thing for the 1150 models myself though have to agree with bisbee, they are a heavy beast at times :)

"I always liked the look of the 1150 especially in the blue & white paint job"

Can only agree with you about the colour - looks v nice indeed.

I recently bought a 2011 1200GSA but I was really conflicted with buying an 1150 at roughly 1/3 the price - you certainly get a whole lot more for your money. I used to own an 1100GS and was surprised a couple of years ago when I met up with the owner again and tested the bike in the rough. It was great.
If you want to go anywhere and everywhere you've made the right choice I believe.
Good luck with it.

Hi Chris,
Thanks mate. Yeah, the price for the 1150 was about a third of what I paid for my 1200TC when I brought it new in 2011! I am hoping this is a keeper as like you said it is very much a `go anywhere and everywhere` bike. I know the 1200 was too but there is something about the 1150
that I really like and I have only owned the bike for a short while. I think I made the right choice :thumb2
Cheers.

Beautiful - keep it!
I'll be keeping my GS 80 Basic I think, it's a classic now and will remain so - like the 1150 will I believe.
Would post a pic of it but not sure how? I'm pasting a copy but fear it's not working.
P7170013.JPG

Hi Chris,
I am no computer expert but if you join photobucket.com and put your pics on your desktop or in your docs then you can upload the pics to photobucket, then copy and paste into the url bar after you have clicked on `insert image` on your ukgser forum reply and that should load onto your post. Good luck :thumb
Chapperz

Back
Top Bottom