C-TEK Charger Question

Hedgehog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 2015 F800 GSA and a C-TEK MXS 5.0 battery charger. I have bought the correct cable to go into the small 12v socket next to the ignition and believed that this would enable charging. It does not. I just get the fault light flashing on the charger.

I did ask C-TEK whether the charger was OK with CANBUS and was told it was. Should I just connect straight to the battery or am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

T

I charge my F650GS through the power socket using a can bus compatible Optimate. charging like this has given no problems at all in 4 years I've had the bike. Subject is covered in the bikes handbook and can be looked at on the BMW web site as well

I'm sure there is a procedure where you have to connect before switching the ignition off or something...... I think it was in the manual but can't remember, I'm sure someone will know on here, the same as other models I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't of thought the fuse was rated for that anyway I'm pretty sure you can't. I've just fitted another plug wired directly to battery

I bought a smaller CTEK to charge my F800GS, but hardwired a CTEK cable from the battery which tucked inside the panelling when not in use.

I never considered trying to charge the battery through the accessory socket, although I knew that certain chargers could cope with that - my charger is now too old to be listed on the CTEK website, so I don't know if it would have been possible.

Thanks for the tips and advice. I will try and connect before ignition goes off, otherwise it's back to basics with direct connection to battery

Cheers

T

Just be careful when connecting to the battery, try and keep the main leads in contact with the battery posts, because if you don't there is a chance your service light will come on due to power been lost the "brains" ;)

Back
Top Bottom