how often do you change the oil in the rear diff and gear box

Cheers there's some good stuff in there but UI can't see anything about my question about the big drain plug under the engine (the one that faces down that takes a 14mm hex). What I want to know is that if i take it out to look at whether there's anything on the magnet does it have a crush washer and what's the torque to put it back please?

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...21-BMW-R_1150_GS_00_0415,0495_&diagId=23_0871
It’s got a rubber seal (o ring on it)
But the seal is not available separately from the plug.
They can be really tight,however when refitting you needn’t go mad,I’d guess 30/40 nm would be plenty .
Take a good look at the seal,if it looks iffy you could use some decent sealant on the threads,or some medium strength loctite.

Perfect, thank you. My curiosity is asking me to have a look at it, for some reason my instinct is screaming at me to leave it alone............hmmmmmmmmmm

I'm new to GS's I've just bought a 2003 1150 GS as I've wanted one for ages and I'm working my way through a big service. I have a question about the gearbox oil change please. I've changed the oil and that was fine but I've noticed that extra drain plug UNDER the casing ie it faces straight down and as it's a bit lower and also because I hear from threads here that it has a magnet on it I really want to take it out and have a look. What my question is before I do is - does it have a crush washer on it like the fill/drain plugs and what is the torque setting to tighten it. Cheers!

Thinking about it - if it doesnt mention it in the service manual is there any point messing about with it at all?

No, it doesn't have a crush washer or any sealing, the BMW manual doesn't even give a torque for it. :beer:

changed mine 6 years ago when the seal went and pissed out what was in there all over the back of the bike, and then changed it in the summer during lockdown, I use redline heavy duty shockproof gear oil and it pretty much looked the same coming out as it did going in, not bad for 6 years, I think I might change it again when I get to 65.

Its got oil in it? ppphhhfff....

Maybe this year, for sh*ts and giggles whilst I do other stuff on the old girl.

When I've done a service a few weeks before a significant trip, it has been good to see the old oil coming out clean. One less thing to worry about...probably!

Back
Top Bottom