Sat Nav - Not Garmin or Tom Tom

I don't know anything about these satnavs, but before you buy one, ask yourself

Do you want to plan routes on your PC and then load them onto the satnav?
Do you want to use routes planned by other people, or share yours?
Are you likely to be asking questions in a forum such as this?

If you answer yes to these questions then I'd be inclined to buy a Garmin or TomTom, new or 2nd hand. I haven't read the instruction manual for the Via satnav but I suspect it will have limited ability to pre-plan routes on a PC. You're unlikely to find many folk who can help you with queries on forums such as this. On the other hand, if you primarily want a satnav to get you from A to B fastest/shortest, or to guide you the last few miles to a destination, then the Via might be all you need. Read the manual to see if it supports searches for UK postcodes because if it doesn't, then its a big drawback.

Well it says you can import routes and unless they are offering their own computer mapping software the format is almost definitely going to be .gpx files. Then use TomTom's excellent TyreToTravel mapping software based on google.

I think the main question I would want answered is what is the OEM software like on the unit itself and if it's no good could you import your own from somewhere like? OpenStreetMap

Take a look at the cheap sat navs running IGO8 ie Rupse & Peaklife
I have one loaded with OS maps and there's nowt wrong with them.

IMHO
To spend that sort of money not knowing anything about them, I would buy a used Garmin / Tom Tom.
Then at least you know what your getting.....

Lot of money for an unknown, untried brand. On what software would you plan routes, or only on the device. Which might be hard

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom