1100GS Heated grip power source

Puffin

Reaction score
Quick question just about to buy a set of the oxford premium adventure heated grips, as a Christmas present to myself :thumb2
Now my 1100GS never came with factory heated grips but as this was an option, i take it i would have the wiring in place behind the switch console ? Would this be the best point for the power source ?

Merry Christmas :beerjug:

The bike is old, so any loom up to the outlet (if indeed there IS one) could be suspect, especially as it'll be a fairly high current.
On top of that, you'll have to either splice into the wires or match the connector.

TBH I'd just go for fresh wiring, a standard ISO relay and make a good job of it with soldered joints/heatshrink and decent routing.....it'll probably be simpler and you avoid the risk of twenty year old wring going fizz and letting the magic smoke out on the third time you switch them on :)

The Oxford grips come with a fused connection designed to go onto the battery bolts, easiest to use that and stay away from the bike wiring. They only pull a couple of amps, Oxford don't think a relay is needed and I was happy to agree. I was putting them on a little Yamaha, but I don't see why a GS would be any different.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

The standard BM grips plug into wiring block under the fuel tank I believe that connection is there on all 1100 bike looms

Only problem of fitting it to battery is the switch is live all the time and some .arse could flick the switch to on when youre not around and flatten the battery ..unless its the new version of oxford grips that switch themselves off ...

As pointed out above, the BMW grips plug in under the tank and there's no reason to think that the wiring won't be up to it. IIRC, Motobins were selling the complete oe kit with switch, loom and handlebars for reasonable money. Definitely a better option IMHO.

Thanks guys i was asking about the existing wiring as the whole point being that i avoid direct battery connection and only have power when the ignition is on.

The standard BM grips plug into wiring block under the fuel tank I believe that connection is there on all 1100 bike looms

Thanks old codger that is what i was hoping and can now confirm, that at least mine has the connectors in place. So have taken power from there :beerjug: This would also be a good power point for a GPS :)

Back
Top Bottom