Snorkel for a 2012GSA

Well it's only the 3rd of Jan and the 'opinionated Miserable Fuck' award has already been claimed

And you don't have 'fucking' opinions?
The OP wants to protect against the unplanned 'possibility' of riding through deep water.
It's a sodding non-issue if you're not planning to ride through deep water - just don't do it!

He's not planning to cross the fucking Amazon basin or enter the Paris fucking Dakar - he's worrying about something that will never happen if he just makes the fucking choice to not do it!

And you don't have 'fucking' opinions?
The OP wants to protect against the unplanned 'possibility' of riding through deep water.
It's a sodding non-issue if you're not planning to ride through deep water - just don't do it!

He's not planning to cross the fucking Amazon basin or enter the Paris fucking Dakar - he's worrying about something that will never happen if he just makes the fucking choice to not do it!

I get it you're after the 'lifetime achievement' award.....

Yep, best not too..... IMHO (miserable fuck)

I now avoid water and deep water, in particular...... in any vehicle

It's just easier to turn around, go a different way

Rapid cooling of a cat, water in brakes,in diffs and/or gearboxes areas is best avoided, to my mind

Even out trailriding on a smaller bike, I avoid rivers if at all possible - if there's an adjacent bridge or footbridge, I'll use it:thumb2

Drowning a bike, is a PITA

Having wrecked one BMW car engine, in a flooded road(due to a bow wave, from an oncoming vehicle & outside my control)....................it's an experience I'd rather not repeat:blast

Having hydraulic locked my 1150 and my Airhead I now always look for the shallow option...

However that does not stop me being interested in the OPs question and the potential solutions.

Don't do it opinions are mildly helpful but distract from the answering the OPs question and when persistently repeated suggests the poster has started the new year as a missable grumpy git - Lighten Up

A workmate bent the crank in his Vauxhaal diesel when it ingested flood water from a bow wave. But to be fair the air intake was behind the front bumper so he really had no chance. Most bikes have the air filter intake under the seat - pretty high up and only a problem if the bike falls into water wit the engine running. The GS is relatively vulnerable but bow waves more likely to hit riders feet than the air inlet.

Its your bike so do what you want with it. A spare air intake, alloy tubes and silicone bends from eBay. Hours of fun.

I ran a snorkel occasionally on my old 1150GSA when I used to do lots of fording.......just a length of hoover pipe that came up behind the screen....on the road I left the intake end unattached but could slip it over the intake in a second or two.

I also had a semi-permanently attached breather extension from the final drive casing breather going along the swing arm and up under the seat......the first thing that happens if you go into 18 inches or more of water is the rapid cooling of the FD unit, which sucks in water and you get emulsified oil in the unit.

IMG_6996-XL.jpg

IMG_8344-XL.jpg

IMG_8341-XL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom