Spark plug and engine oil feedback.

Nick V

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Some feedback from two long-running topics: engine oil suited to the LC, and iridium spark plugs. :bounce1

I got taken off my bike by a wayward pedestrian in late October last year. I finally got the bike tip-top again in late December - that included servicing and checking the valve clearances.

1. I stuck with Castrol Power 1 Racing (from an aftermarket supplier), but instead of using 5W-40, I used 10W-50. We're currently sitting with a terrible heatwave (I've been riding home in the afternoons in 38 degrees C heat), and the more viscous oil is performing fantastically. Clutch engagement is far less 'grabby', there is less rattling noise from the engine at idle, and the gearshift quality has improved. Gearchanges now feel more positive. I was initially concerned about the possibility of clutch slip, but there has been no trace of it. (CAVEAT: With freezing temperatures in the UK, your results may vary.)
  2. I replaced the standard LMAR8D-J plugs with NGK LMAR9AI-8 plugs. These are a single-electrode iridium plug which is standard fitment on a 350cm3 KTM, and one heat-range colder than the otherwise identical plug used in the K1600-series bikes. (I often ride the bike very hard, and I usually go colder on the plugs to prevent any pinging.) The bike starts slightly easier, idles slightly better, and throttle response is also slightly better. I'm also looking forward to a replacement interval of at least 40 000 Km. :thumb

Thanks Nick. Interesting. Been wondering how to reduce the clatter from the engine, especially when it is at running temp. Oil - good call. :thumb2

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Got your horn to work yet?

Yep. See relevant thread.
I just wish BMW would include amperage and wattage data in the manual, instead of arrogantly assuming that all owners will obey ze command, en not modify ze moto, ja?

Hello Nick

I've just also replaced the standard LMAR8D-J plugs with NGK LMAR9AI-8 plugs on my R 1200 GSA LC (year 2015)
I would have liked to have your feedback on it since your last message on the subject, no issue from your side ? I know you are an expert, I would have liked to have technical details explaining why you think there is no risk,
I had contacted NGK but apart from advising it because it is not intended for, they were not able to tell me why and on the basis of what risk if however there would be one
thank al lot
Louis

I've just also replaced the standard LMAR8D-J plugs with NGK LMAR9AI-8 plugs on my R 1200 GSA LC (year 2015)
I would have liked to have your feedback on it since your last message on the subject, no issue from your side ? I know you are an expert, I would have liked to have technical details explaining why you think there is no risk,
I had contacted NGK but apart from advising it because it is not intended for, they were not able to tell me why and on the basis of what risk if however there would be one

Hi Louis! :beerjug:

My bike is still running perfectly with the Iridium plugs. I see no reason whatsoever to change.

Why I believe there is no risk? Mainly because the bike has now run LMAR9AI-8 plugs for more than 30 000 Km without complaining. :D Frequently at 8 400 RPM in sixth gear, while chasing KTM 1190 Adventure Rs.

Seriously though, it's all common sense and logic.
The plug electrodes present no clearance issues with the piston crowns.
Running one heat range colder presents a wider safety margin against pinging in the much higher average ambient temperatures we ride in, here in SA.
And in every other respect, the plug is identical to LMAR8D-J.

Regarding plug heat ranges, something I've noticed on every BMW I've owned is that as standard, they all run extremely over-lean. Even running plugs one heat range colder, I often see almost no deposits on the plug firing ends.
This was a borderline problem on my old K1200S (on which KR9CI plugs were replaced with DCPR9EIX) - the ceramic electrode sheaths came very close to blistering, but never quite got there. I would have used plugs with a 10 or 11 heat range, if NGK made them.
I was appalled to learn that BMW actually recommend heat range 8 plugs in the K1200R.

First good to see you back Posting Nick. I will give the iridium plugs a go, as your riding temperature’s sound very similar to mine here in Gibraltar and Southern Spain.

I use Motul 10W-40 7100, and have found that it quietens down the gear box, and also the engine is rattling less at tick over.

I have a AF-Xied fitted on my 2015 GS fitted with Akra cat less headers and the AF-Xied on setting 8. I did a valve check during lockdown, and was pleased to see my standard plugs a lovely light beige colour.......:beerjug:

@Rockred: :clap

I'm actually going to be selling my LC and F800GS soon. I need the cash to fund my next project - a DOHC Hexhead-powered, home-built HP2 Enduro equivalent.

Sounds like a great project Nick. All the very best with it, be good to see some photos as you go along.......:beerjug:

Decided to go looking for oil after reading this and wondering.....what if?
Only 10/40 Castrol Power available at the local motor spares shop.
Emptied out and refilled this lunchtime and went for a bimble - gearchanges appeared to be better, and clutch seemed smoother/more consistent.
No problem with low winter temperatures here.............

Back
Top Bottom