Transferring route to Zumo 660 without Mapsource

LPB

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a route that I want to load onto my Zmo 660.
However I am not near my PC with Mapsource on it.

Presumably I can just connect the Zumo and copy the route onto it
but what folder does it go into?

Thanks,
Lloyd.

I have never tried but couldn't you just download a generic version of Mapsource or BaseCamp onto your temporary computer and go from there? You shouldn't I guess need the detailed maps to be installed, though BaseCamp would probably draw them across from your device anyway.

I half remember a post by Fanum I think it was who did just that. A search might turn it up.

Found it..... Scroll down and follow Bill's shortcut....

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...HARING-MAPSOURCE-ROUTE?highlight=Mapsource+PC

God only knows if it works. If it does, let us know exactly how you did it please. Failing that, if someone knows an easier or better way, please post it up here with as much of a simple step-by-step guide as you can manage. It's bound to be useful for someone.

Just a thought. Fanum's tip comes from a time when the software came on CD or DVD, now it's just download, I think.

Last edited:
I think it's the Garmin folder you add it to. Try it and see if you can then import the route when you turn it on.

If the route is a GPX format file, try copying it to a folder on the SD card of the 660:

<root>\Garmin\GPX

You should then be able to import the route using 'My Data' icon or similar (this method works on the 550 and 220, although the icon used to import the route varies with the model).

I'm not sure if this method will work with files in GDB format, but you can find GDB to GPX conversion s/w online if need be.

If the route is a GPX format file, try copying it to a folder on the SD card of the 660:

<root>\Garmin\GPX

You should then be able to import the route using 'My Data' icon or similar (this method works on the 550 and 220, although the icon used to import the route varies with the model).

I'm not sure if this method will work with files in GDB format, but you can find GDB to GPX conversion s/w online if need be.

when i add a route using basecamp, it does go in that folder, but it gets a custom rename in the process somehow. interested to see if the gps unit will recognise a route with the original name.

You can get a map onto a zumo even if you don't have the USB lead handy by using the data card to transfer using the export/import feature. Just hot swap the data card between devices, whether phone, anther zumo or a computer of some sort.

If you have a USB lead then you can use the zumo itself as if it was a memory stick.

Once the new route is on the data card that sits in the zumo use the import feature to import it to the zumo's list of routes.

I used this method to get old routes into my Zumo rather than using Basecamp as I'm still learning to use that software package - getting better with it after a few months.

Thanks - will try shortly and let you know how I get on.

when i add a route using basecamp, it does go in that folder, but it gets a custom rename in the process somehow. interested to see if the gps unit will recognise a route with the original name.

You won't see the filename in the route list but you will see the name(s) of individual route(s) within the file. If you use Basecamp's route transfer function it seems to split out individual routes within a list into separate files and gives each one a number (at least, it does this on the Nav V). Trouble is, the numbered file names don't give any clues about the route destination.

I tend to manually export a route list from Basecamp as a GPX fomat file with a name that's meaningful to me and then copy & paste it onto the SD card. That way I can keep track of the routes that I've got on the card. Also, it's quicker to copy and paste GPX files using Windows Explorer than it is to fire up Basecamp, wait for it to recognise the GPS unit, read the memory of the GPS and then finally offer to transfer data across. I keep GPX files for individual trips in Dropbox so if something goes completely tits-up whilst travelling it's easy to reload or share files.

Well just copying the GDB file into the Zumo didnt work.

So I used Teamviewer to connect to my PC at home where Mapsource is loaded and opened the route and
resaved as a GPX file. I then transferred that to the PC where I am at the moment, copied that onto the Garmin/GPX folder on the Zumo via USB cable, imported it and it works, so thanks for the help.

I initially tried to convert the GDB file to GPX using the free converters available, none of them managed to do it!

Lloyd.

Back
Top Bottom