What extra bling is worth it on a second hand machine?

Sweaty Sock

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just posted on wants for a 1150GS, or GSA, and having done some homework I'm assuming most of the standard extra stuff people fit, like heated grips, new screen, Wally flaps, Y-pipe, luggage is worth it when buying a second hand machine.
I've realised that I don't know what to avoid like the plague.
Or if ABS is going to be more trouble than its worth...etc.

A few pointers to other threads, or comments, would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

I would avoid a bike with servo brakes.As for bling,it's an individual thing,so I might choose a bike with extras over a standard one but not let it inflate the price by much,although you can easily sell most bling on here to offset the cost of the bike if you are handy with tools etc
What I would want to seal the deal would be full luggage and an after market exhaust eg Remus or Akro I'm sure other folks will be along with different ideas Good luck:beerjug:

Personally, I wouldn't avoid a bike with Servo ABS, mine worked perfectly well for the two years prior and the seven years of my ownership, and is still giving sterling service to the best of my knowledge. You just need to be aware that it might fail; low/no cost removal is clearly explained if and when it does.

As your (excellent) choice is no longer produced the lack of any desired bling shouldn't put you off a well maintained example because all of the bling is available here, at considerable saving over new i.e. Second hand.

Personally, I wouldn't avoid a bike with Servo ABS, mine worked perfectly well for the two years prior and the seven years of my ownership, and is still giving sterling service to the best of my knowledge. You just need to be aware that it might fail; low/no cost removal is clearly explained if and when it does.

As your (excellent) choice is no longer produced the lack of any desired bling shouldn't put you off a well maintained example because all of the bling is available here, at considerable saving over new i.e. Second hand.

Totally agree about the ABS.....mine worked perfectly for over a decade and I miss it on the bike I have now.

As for the bling, there are only a few parts that would make me want to pay a little extra for.......Ohlins or Wilburs etc for example, I'd reckon to add a third of the new value of them to the cost of the bike IYSWIM.
Tobinators added to the bike are nice but might only add 20 quid to the S/H value of a model- they do however show that t he previous owner is 'switched on' as far as 'bling' to buy, whereas fake carbon fibre parts and so on without sensible things like Tobinators just let me know the bike is a garage queen and the owner a poseur ;)
Don't be suckered into paying a load more for a Corbin seat (or similar) as the chances are it won't suit you anyway.....that said, they will always sell for a few hundred quid if in good condition so it's a low risk gamble.

Warranty is the main thing that would encourage me to buy one bike over another, as you can extend the BMW warranty up to 80000 miles, there will be a lot around with warranty, this will give you peace of mind when reading some of the horror stories on here.

For me I would want full luggage but it is readily available second hand. Condition of bike would out weigh any farkles.

Still works great -but having it removed as I have a long trip coming up - 8 weeks and many kms... Decided the space will be useful etc...
Probably regret it....

Warranty is the main thing that would encourage me to buy one bike over another, as you can extend the BMW warranty up to 80000 miles, there will be a lot around with warranty, this will give you peace of mind when reading some of the horror stories on here.

No 1150 GS or GSA will be covered by BMW extended warranty now

The clause is 80,000 miles or less and up to 10 years of age

So a 20k bike will be too old and fail the BMW warranty clause

No 1150 GS or GSA will be covered by BMW extended warranty now

The clause is 80,000 miles or less and up to 10 years of age

So a 20k bike will be too old and fail the BMW warranty clause

Just read through my policy and found this,

Mileage limitation
The BMW Motorrad Insured
Warranty has a mileage limitation of
80,000 miles at the commencement
date for Component Cover

No mention of age, perhaps you could show me where it states 10 years?

It used to have a 10 year age limit - ask a dealer ir BMW direct
I doubt BMW would warranty a 15 year old 1150 GS sold via a BMW dealer

Yes BMW dealerships have a 10 year old limit on selling bikes but if you buy a bike like the 06 GSA currently on here with a years warranty taking it to 11 years old, you as a private buyer can extend each year up to 80000 miles as long as you extend before it runs out.

Yes BMW dealerships have a 10 year old limit on selling bikes but if you buy a bike like the 06 GSA currently on here with a years warranty taking it to 11 years old, you as a private buyer can extend each year up to 80000 miles as long as you extend before it runs out.

Ok, I see..............I was thinking AUB from a dealer

For me I would want full luggage but it is readily available second hand. Condition of bike would out weigh any farkles.

Thank you! Farkles- not come across the word before, but know exactly what you mean!

I'd really avoid Servo, they add nothing to the bike but buzzing and snatchy braking.
ABS, I'm all for, regardless of what the windup merchants may say, it can save you life if not your day out, it's saved me, no doubt about it. Had my mate had ABS on his bike, he may well still be working and riding today.

I'd really avoid Servo, they add nothing to the bike but buzzing and snatchy braking.
ABS, I'm all for, regardless of what the windup merchants may say, it can save you life if not your day out, it's saved me, no doubt about it. Had my mate had ABS on his bike, he may well still be working and riding today.

Avoiding servo also means avoiding ABS unless you go for the single spark which limits the field of choice: Having said that, there's a cracking non servo 1150 in the For Sale section.

Extras on a bike are only worth paying for if you would have bought them anyway. With the exception of ABS, you can retro-fit just about anything to a GS, if it's important to you...

Many thanks to all, a purchase is imminent. Proof of the pudding and all that...
The advice so far has been superb FWIW. Might be here for a while...:thumby:

Back
Top Bottom