World of BMW Direct Access Scheme: comments? criticisms?

I've got some very strong views on this !

First of all; ignore Timolgra ...

Its good of him, to try and answer your forum post. ( UKGSeR forum can be a great place to get advice on a wide-range of topics,)
But in this case, just looking up their prices is not the way to go. He's an idiot to say its expensive! How can he claim that when he has never been there !

Frankly he shouldnt be a "forum moderator " and make obserations on something he knows nothing about ! What a fool?
What an idiot ! Does he buy everything at his local poundland>?

He said "why go corporate ?" "its just a ploy to sell more bikes" (What a twit ! I bet he's one of the riders on here who happily drops £900 on an Akrapovich exhaust , but baulks at £650 on a training course )
By the way , I'm passionate about bikes and I hope BMW( and any manufacturer for that matter) do sell more! If more people rode bikes , we'd all have less congestion and more enjoyable safer roads! ( how could anyone say "its just a ploy to sell more bikes?)

First off all;...I'm sorry you have to "go through this again".

From your posts, and forum name, you sound like an experienced rider who has owned a Harley in the USA and ridden quite a bit. I cant comment on the uk licensing mechanism, other than to say its a mess, its one of the reasons there are so few new motorcyclists.
Frankly heart breaking that prospective riders are disheartened by the regulations and complex/poor quality training/licensing options in Europe. )( thanks to teh EU , dont get me started on my favourite subject !)

Now back to BMW rider training at Royston.

Its run by Ian Biederman. he is (imho) one of the top instructors in the country.

(I still hear his "voice in my head" when I ride!
His hints and tips, have saved my life many times since I trained with him) How much is your life worth?

I tried (recommended) local training establishments, and there were well-motivated instructors for sure, top guys- but they were based out of freezing cold partakabins on gravel strewn airfields. The bikes , equipment and radios were trouble prone and frankly it was a pretty shitty experience because there was no investment. These guys were "scrathcing a living" on peanuts.( sadly)

Royston BMW replace all their bikes every season, so you'll be spending your time on a BMW that's only a few weeks old in all probability.
They suppply all the kit, and even if you have your own gear, its quite nice to be able to try the latest BMW clothing and gloves.
The location may seem a bit inconvenient , but they have access to some good roads, you'll come away as a very well-trained rider.

The instruction is superb and its all based out of purpose built premises with heating ( it sis January) and lots of fresh coffee!
In my opinion , it all comes down to the quality of training, and I know there are other fantastic trainers ( I used "rapid training" for some refresher training a while ago) and they were truly superb too. I'm not saying the BMW training at Royston is the only place to go, but I do get "pissed off" if some uninformed forum guy, who hasn't ridden with them, calls them expensive.

For what you get, its very cheap. A bargain. I absolutely urge you to go there ! pm me if i can help in any way or you have any questions.

( lastly ; if you do go there to Royston , could you kindly report back with your findings?) Good luck

Amazing stuartw, with this one post you have revealed yourself to be a complete Knob.

Timolgra didn't say the BMW training was bad, he just said it was expensive which compared to some independents it is.

He also said it was corporate which it is. The only reason BMW are involved is because they are hoping people will buy a BMW at the end of the training, nothing wrong with that but it is true.

Your biggest mistake though was your abusive approach, totally wrong and uncalled for and I expect you may get some in return once the masses on here get back from work.

But your funniest/most ignorant comment was this "I bet he's one of the riders on here who happily drops £900 on an Akrapovich exhaust".

I don't know him well (bought a bike of him once) but from his posts he is clearly the last person to buy some unnecessary bling for his bike.

Mike S
The way I read it, someone asked for comments about BMW world of ..training .

Stuart posted his comments , as he had actually trained there. I found the same experience as he did. His comments were accurate imho.

Tim, didnt reveal that he owns a competing business. His post was uninformed and he came across as someone who was a bit "Sore"... and critical of BMW.

I know who I'd rather listed to if I was choosing a school.
Mahnatten McC is going to be gobsmacked that his simple question managed to ignite an argument ! I'll watch Jeremy Kyle if I wasnt to witness abuse and childishness.

Mike ....

I just answered the guys question. Maybe tried to explain, why they cost more than some guy in an airfield portakabin with 5 year old Hornets that have been crashed 600 times and shitty radios. Its not hard, for most forum users to grasp this. I dont know why you struggle!

I find in life, you tend to get what you pay for ! This forum is a great place for advice and ManhattenC deserved a decent answer.

How anyone could say "why go corporate ?" Well; how about the thousands of guys on this forum who used the BMW rider training in South Wales ( ORS) and came back and said; "Simon Pavey and his instructors are fucking outstanding?"

Thats why ...

How could Tim say rider training is "a ploy to sell more bikes ..." is odd , Surely we would all like to see more bikes on the road?

PS I thought he should reveal his self interest. (Mike ...maybe you are the knob , you have nothing to add.)

Ok, so... thank you? (it was a really spectacular flex of internet forum muscle)

From my research the BMW program was £205 more expensive (including fees, rentals, etc...) than the closest comparable program I found (I called around to 4 others). It was the most well sold to me both on line and on the phone. Most receptive to the fact I was an experienced rider, and I like the idea of the nice new gear, newer bikes and convenience of 1 stop scheduling/etc...

In my experience (American Supercamp, Yamaha Champions, various MSF etc...) If a school looks/sounds organized, it usually is. And since I really don't want to deal with this at all, I want to make sure my experience is not bull sh** presented by a moto-bro on crap gear in a worse location surrounded by a bunch of kids looking for their 1st gixxer. BMW was really the only one I spoke to where that was not a concern.

Also, I already own a BMW... I'm going to ride it to the training. To be honest I'm not yet the biggest fan, it's kind of a pain in my ass, BUT my Wife has never been happier on the back of any bike I've owned. So it plays, and probably will sell a new one when we get back to the states in a few years.

All that being said, let just go ahead and ask: Can anyone specifically recommend and explain why a different option within say, 3 hrs of London? (and if you own/operate/are employed there please shout it out?)

Manhatten McC, i hope you get some better answers than all the schoolboy "flouting and pouting " above!
What a shame you cant ride here on your USA qualifications? I can ride in South Africa and the Cayman Islands on my uk licence. Its crazy isn't it?

I want to make sure my experience is not bull sh** presented by a moto-bro on crap gear in a worse location surrounded by a bunch of kids looking for their 1st gixxer. BMW was really the only one I spoke to where that was not a concern. Can anyone specifically recommend and explain why a different option within say, 3 hrs of London? (and if you own/operate/are employed there please shout it out?)

Yep! makes sense. Tell us how you get on when its all done mate!

Mike ....

I just answered the guys question. Maybe tried to explain, why they cost more than some guy in an airfield portakabin with 5 year old Hornets that have been crashed 600 times and shitty radios. Its not hard, for most forum users to grasp this. I dont know why you struggle!

I find in life, you tend to get what you pay for ! This forum is a great place for advice and ManhattenC deserved a decent answer.

How anyone could say "why go corporate ?" Well; how about the thousands of guys on this forum who used the BMW rider training in South Wales ( ORS) and came back and said; "Simon Pavey and his instructors are fucking outstanding?"

Thats why ...

How could Tim say rider training is "a ploy to sell more bikes ..." is odd , Surely we would all like to see more bikes on the road?

PS I thought he should reveal his self interest. (Mike ...maybe you are the knob , you have nothing to add.)

I have no issue with you about training being important and the the BMW school being good.

What I don't understand is why you felt it necessary to be so abusive, it actually undermined the good points that you were trying to make.

He wasnt abusive ! But perhaps he was miffed the other guy answered the post without saying " I run competitor" and also said "Its expensive" just from an internet search.

Manhatten McC, i hope you get some better answers than all the schoolboy "flouting and pouting " above!
What a shame you cant ride here on your USA qualifications? I can ride in South Africa and the Cayman Islands on my uk licence. Its crazy isn't it?

I actually can ride here... for 12 months from the time took residency. And outside of the UK I can continue to do so since I'm just a visitor there. But I'll be here for a minimum of 3 years, so I want to get this out of the way as soon as I can. It also will make my insurance a good deal cheaper.

I actually can ride here... for 12 months from the time took residency. And outside of the UK I can continue to do so since I'm just a visitor there. But I'll be here for a minimum of 3 years, so I want to get this out of the way as soon as I can. It also will make my insurance a good deal cheaper.
Understood...

I've taught several riders in exactly your situation (US license) and in my experience you may benefit immensely from further training in this country regardless of the red tape preventing you from riding for more than 12 months....

Rather than thinking it a chore, go and enjoy your course wherever you decide to use :thumb

He wasnt abusive ! But perhaps he was miffed the other guy answered the post without saying " I run competitor" and also said "Its expensive" just from an internet search.

Abusive maybe the wrong word but you know what I mean.

Also, I don't think someone running a rider training school in North Wales can really be seen as a competitor to someone running a similar business in the London area.

The point is that a lot of people will blindly sign up for BMW training when with a small amount of research they may uncover a gem of a local independent school of similar or even better quality, and no I don't run a rider training school.

Abusive maybe the wrong word but you know what I mean.

Also, I don't think someone running a rider training school in North Wales can really be seen as a competitor to someone running a similar business in the London area.

The point is that a lot of people will blindly sign up for BMW training when with a small amount of research they may uncover a gem of a local independent school of similar or even better quality, and no I don't run a rider training school.

Is this the same school that WAS in Wales??

Back
Top Bottom