World of BMW Direct Access Scheme: comments? criticisms?

ManhattanMcC

Reaction score
I've got to go through the whole process here in the UK and having looked around a bit, I think i'm going to go spend a few days up near Royston with the 5 day program - CBT through the Tests.

It looks like after all is said and done the cost isn't too dear, and I'd have to take time off from work anyway so might as well do it all in 1 shot.

Anyone got strong opinions on the program, staff or general experience?

Most of the major bike companies are about to associate themselves with training.:rolleyes:

I just had a quick look and it's very, very expensive compared to training with an independent body, so why go corporate?

I just had a quick look and it's very, very expensive compared to training with an independent body, so why go corporate?

It certainly is expensive. About £650 for a guaranteed pass from my local training school.

It certainly is expensive. About £650 for a guaranteed pass from my local training school.

Considering it's just a ploy to sell more bikes you'd think they'd discount the price, I believe Honda tried it and failed.

oh training yeah car (driving instructors) tried all that stuff.... with discounts and crap like that years ago thank heavens when I did my test (bike) it was just a few circles round cones, then a week later twice round the cricket pitch and three questions about the highway code.

I doubt very much I'd pass a modern test.

best of luck, i can't recommend motorcycles as a form of transport, dreadfully dangerous and probably mixed with a hint of anti social....to boot....

:thumb

Anyone got strong opinions on the program, staff or general experience?

I've got some very strong views on this !

First of all; ignore Timolgra ...

Its good of him, to try and answer your forum post. ( UKGSeR forum can be a great place to get advice on a wide-range of topics,)
But in this case, just looking up their prices is not the way to go. He's an idiot to say its expensive! How can he claim that when he has never been there !

Frankly he shouldnt be a "forum moderator " and make obserations on something he knows nothing about ! What a fool?
What an idiot ! Does he buy everything at his local poundland>?

He said "why go corporate ?" "its just a ploy to sell more bikes" (What a twit ! I bet he's one of the riders on here who happily drops £900 on an Akrapovich exhaust , but baulks at £650 on a training course )
By the way , I'm passionate about bikes and I hope BMW( and any manufacturer for that matter) do sell more! If more people rode bikes , we'd all have less congestion and more enjoyable safer roads! ( how could anyone say "its just a ploy to sell more bikes?)

First off all;...I'm sorry you have to "go through this again".

From your posts, and forum name, you sound like an experienced rider who has owned a Harley in the USA and ridden quite a bit. I cant comment on the uk licensing mechanism, other than to say its a mess, its one of the reasons there are so few new motorcyclists.
Frankly heart breaking that prospective riders are disheartened by the regulations and complex/poor quality training/licensing options in Europe. )( thanks to teh EU , dont get me started on my favourite subject !)

Now back to BMW rider training at Royston.

Its run by Ian Biederman. he is (imho) one of the top instructors in the country.

(I still hear his "voice in my head" when I ride!
His hints and tips, have saved my life many times since I trained with him) How much is your life worth?

I tried (recommended) local training establishments, and there were well-motivated instructors for sure, top guys- but they were based out of freezing cold partakabins on gravel strewn airfields. The bikes , equipment and radios were trouble prone and frankly it was a pretty shitty experience because there was no investment. These guys were "scrathcing a living" on peanuts.( sadly)

Royston BMW replace all their bikes every season, so you'll be spending your time on a BMW that's only a few weeks old in all probability.
They suppply all the kit, and even if you have your own gear, its quite nice to be able to try the latest BMW clothing and gloves.
The location may seem a bit inconvenient , but they have access to some good roads, you'll come away as a very well-trained rider.

The instruction is superb and its all based out of purpose built premises with heating ( it sis January) and lots of fresh coffee!
In my opinion , it all comes down to the quality of training, and I know there are other fantastic trainers ( I used "rapid training" for some refresher training a while ago) and they were truly superb too. I'm not saying the BMW training at Royston is the only place to go, but I do get "pissed off" if some uninformed forum guy, who hasn't ridden with them, calls them expensive.

For what you get, its very cheap. A bargain. I absolutely urge you to go there ! pm me if i can help in any way or you have any questions.

( lastly ; if you do go there to Royston , could you kindly report back with your findings?) Good luck

Last edited:
My advice would be go and see an corporate/brand support centre and go and see a local centre. Then you can make a personal judgement re the difference in price and which represents best value for you.

I went with an independent to do direct access about 8 years ago and they were amazing. Check out some local suppliers and do what you think is right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought he was a motorcycle instructor...?

So he's an instructor ? Great !
he wrote "I just had a quick look and it's very, very expensive compared to training with an independent body, so why go corporate?"

I was writing with the benefit of having completed a course with them .
(I had foriegn bike licences and experience - but had to re-take my uk test on moving back to the uk)

I thought also an expedition leader and a world traveller type who's been everywhere twice and once when nobody was looking...!

some say he has super human powers..... and is able to control objects and simple minded people by jedi like mind tricks..... but I wouldn't know about that

I used them. Everything Stuartw said is correct. I had a bloody great time, brand new BMW bikes, free kit . Fantastic and the best value I could find.
Why would you want to train on a 3 year old Bandit that had been dropped a million times just to save a few quid? Go to the proper centre , BMW training.

I've got some very strong views on this !

First of all; ignore Timolgra ...

Its good of him, to try and answer your forum post. ( UKGSeR forum can be a great place to get advice on a wide-range of topics,)
But in this case, just looking up their prices is not the way to go. He's an idiot to say its expensive! How can he claim that when he has never been there !

Frankly he shouldnt be a "forum moderator " and make obserations on something he knows nothing about ! What a fool?
What an idiot ! Does he buy everything at his local poundland>?

He said "why go corporate ?" "its just a ploy to sell more bikes" (What a twit ! I bet he's one of the riders on here who happily drops £900 on an Akrapovich exhaust , but baulks at £650 on a training course )
By the way , I'm passionate about bikes and I hope BMW( and any manufacturer for that matter) do sell more! If more people rode bikes , we'd all have less congestion and more enjoyable safer roads! ( how could anyone say "its just a ploy to sell more bikes?)

Well, aside from the personal and unwitting, professional insults, the assumptions and inaccuracies .... traits often found on forums.

I'm glad to hear you had a positive experience and your glowing feedback is of course to be heeded, how could you possibly know this is what I also hear weekly from my own students.

Being Chief Instructor at our school with years of experience in teaching of course means nothing, but the feedback and sure knowledge I've given every new rider the best possible start does.

:beerjug:

Morning Timolgra , The guy asked specifically about world of BMW direct access.

I think, if you run a competitive school (I'm sure your instruction is as good or maybe better ? I don't knowabout yours, or have any evidence, perhaps tell the guy why its good?).

You should have stated your "self-interest" imho.

Maybe say. "I have no experience of the school you are asking about. "But; at my school...blah blah" and tell the guy what you can offer that is comparable, worthwhile ?

You also said; "Considering it's just a ploy to sell more bikes you'd think they'd discount the price,"

I'm curious about why you should claim this. It did irritate me.... you are correct !
(I think you may have amended your post since I first read it by the way !)

I love anything that sells more bikes...anything ! I thought I'd tell my experience , which I still enthuse over ! They are that good!

Last edited:
Morning Timolgra , The guy asked specifically about world of BMW direct access.

I think, if you run a competitive school (I'm sure your instruction is as good or maybe better ? I don't know or have any evidence).

Maybe say . "I have no experience of the school you are asking about . "but at my school...blah blah" and tell the guy what you can offer that is comparable ?

You also said ; "Considering it's just a ploy to sell more bikes you'd think they'd discount the price,"

I'm curious about why you should claim this. It did irritate me you are right ! ( I think you have amended your post since I first read it by the way !)
I thought I'd tell my experience , which I still enthuse over ! They are that good!

Thanks for the PM and above advise, assumptions ay....... :D

Maybe say . "I have no experience of the school you are asking about . "but at my school...blah blah" and tell the guy what you can offer that is comparable ?

You also said ; "Considering it's just a ploy to sell more bikes you'd think they'd discount the price,"

I'm curious about why you should claim this. It did irritate me you are right ! ( I think you have amended your post since I first read it by the way !)
I thought I'd tell my experience , which I still enthuse over ! They are that good!

Fair points, to be fair. Why would someone relatively new to the forum have the slightest idea who Timolgra is or what he does for a living? He could, of course, have a quick look at Timolgra's profile - where his occupation is listed as this 'n that, and his biography says mind yer own business - so not much help there.

Compared to some of the bile posted here on a daily basis it was a relatively mild rebuke :D.

Well, aside from the personal and unwitting, professional insults, the assumptions and inaccuracies .... traits often found on forums.

I'm glad to hear you had a positive experience and your glowing feedback is of course to be heeded, how could you possibly know this is what I also hear weekly from my own students.

Being Chief Instructor at our school with years of experience in teaching of course means nothing, but the feedback and sure knowledge I've given every new rider the best possible start does.

:beerjug:

So that's one rumour cleared up,what about the other one :nenau

Back
Top Bottom