Booster plug review

Thanks Roger for clarifying my post, your clarification is spot on.
As stated I have achieved a 10% increase in AFR. I have not conducted any tests on the AF-XIED beyond setting 8 as that is more than rich enough for my needs.
Would I still recommend the AF-XIED`s. Answer - Yes, until a better option comes available. and cant see anything in the pipeline yet.

Where does one find these magical electrickery gadgets??

Sent using a Jedi mind trick!

In Florida. Beemer Boneyard are the stockists http://www.beemerboneyard.com/bmwafo2sema.html
Nightrider are the manufacturers.
Having said that when I purchased mine a couple of years ago I approached Jersey Harley Davidson as they the were stockists for the Harley XIED`s, although they obviously had an account with Nightrider they did not stock the BMW version .
If they had a few inquiry's who knows?. It would save on time, postage, duty.!!!!??

Why not go with a Power Commander? It's better understood in UK and they have versions that allow mixture adjustments.

Thanks for the clarification, guys.
Hope you're right. I've just sold my PCV and after a run out this afternoon, missing it already.
Think someone changed the gearbox back to the clunky one when I wasn't looking.
Going to order up the AF-XIED kit this evening. Was nearly going to put the PCV back on again if it hadn't sold.
Going back to standard, the changes are subtle and you do adapt. But having experienced the smooth roll ons and hardly having to use the clutch going up and down the gears, it's hard to go back.
Just have to slum it for a couple of weeks until they arrive.

Hi bendy.
Know what you're saying. I was nearly going to put the PCV back on last night. It does work well.
Just the more that I've read about the adaptive abilities of the ECU, the more I would like to try it. Being able to self tune for temperature change, engine wear, etc. sounds like a really good idea, providing it can give me the same benefits as the PCV in the closed loop. If we're completely honest, that's where we spend the majority of our time.
It may be a complete disaster and I'll be looking for a PCV again. Having sold the PCV and have the Autotune on eBay, it shouldn't be much of a difference in cost to find out.
Maybe when I've had it for a while I'll start a thread detailing how I've found it in comparison to the PCV.
As you've said yourself, a hilltop remap would probably be the best of both worlds. But it's not a cheap option and for me, totally uneconomical with the traveling involved.
There are one or two in Ireland who are supposed to have the 'gift' to remap a GS. But there seems to be a lack of hard evidence that it's as good as hilltop so far.

Hi bendy.
Know what you're saying. I was nearly going to put the PCV back on last night. It does work well.
Just the more that I've read about the adaptive abilities of the ECU, the more I would like to try it. Being able to self tune for temperature change, engine wear, etc. sounds like a really good idea, providing it can give me the same benefits as the PCV in the closed loop. If we're completely honest, that's where we spend the majority of our time.
It may be a complete disaster and I'll be looking for a PCV again. Having sold the PCV and have the Autotune on eBay, it shouldn't be much of a difference in cost to find out.
Maybe when I've had it for a while I'll start a thread detailing how I've found it in comparison to the PCV.
As you've said yourself, a hilltop remap would probably be the best of both worlds. But it's not a cheap option and for me, totally uneconomical with the traveling involved.
There are one or two in Ireland who are supposed to have the 'gift' to remap a GS. But there seems to be a lack of hard evidence that it's as good as hilltop so far.

I just had a couple of nights over the west of Ireland. What I spent on bloody Whisky would have got me a Hilltop Remap (we live and learn)

You'll never learn, Keith! :jager
I've just parted with a considerable sum of money for the AF-XIED from Beemerboneyard. Dollar rate isn't too good at the moment. Hope the customs don't nail me as well. :bash
Don't ask how much at the moment in case the wife sees the amount on the screen!

Just as a footnote to my order to Beemerboneyard.
They've just emailed me to tell me that they were able to post it for slightly less.
Only a refund of $10 and still not telling the wife, but great customer service.

Well I bit the bullet and fitted a booster plug to my 06 1200gs. Like night and day at the low end of the rev range!
I no longer feel like the bikes going to stall on pull away and its a factor of 10 smoother trickeling through traffic.
It has turned a real pig at low speed into a bike thats a pleasure to ride. Well worth the £100!

You'll never learn, Keith! :jager
I've just parted with a considerable sum of money for the AF-XIED from Beemerboneyard. Dollar rate isn't too good at the moment. Hope the customs don't nail me as well. :bash
Don't ask how much at the moment in case the wife sees the amount on the screen!

Bloody Euro is not far off parity with the USD!!!!

At least your starting off with £stg

I bought and fitted a booster plug on mt 08 GS. I felt it made the fuelling worse. I stopped after 30 miles or so and took it off just to make sure, by getting an immediate comparison. Sent it back, got a refund and invested in a set of akrapovic headers instead. Well worth the money....... much improved mid range, no change in mpg. Turned a bloody good bike in to a great one.

Last edited:
I bought and fitted a booster plug on mt 08 GS. I felt it made the fuelling worse. I stopped after 30 miles or so and took it off just to make sure, by getting an immediate comparison. Sent it back, got a refund and invested in a set of akrapovic headers instead. Well worth the money....... much improved mid range, no change in mpg. Turned a bloody good bike in to a great one.

I had a similar experience with a booster plug. It made the bike feel like the choke was stuck. Later picked up an Power Commander which came off a similar spec bike. One day I'll get it remapped but at least my engine is no longer running a harmfully weak fuel mixture and it goes like a train. Getting the fuel mixture right has transformed my ride.

dragging up an old post (as I just quoted this post as evidence a simple AIT offset can improve drivability, a lot of cars with euro 5 are becoming undrivable)

but then reading some of the points raised there is some serious misinformation posted.

A bike with a booster plug fitted can't learn and compensate out what it does. It doesn't work like that ever.
A bike with a booster plug only impacts for short duration throttle movement below 4k rpm - after this it has no impact on steady throttle application or higher rev engine management at all
All it does is offset the AIT (air temp intake sensor) and trick the bike in to thinking its a bit colder than it really is, so at low revs on a constantly varying throttle (round town, on off throttle, exactly where an overly lean mixture causes seriously rideability issues) it brings in a colder weather fuel map richening up the mixture a TINY bit. As soon as the flow over the CAT sensor is sufficient and stable enough the booster plugs impact is totally negated.

On the K25 boxer engine the std fueling is a sick joke that is so poor you could take a swig of petrol and spit it in far better than BMW does it. Mine was unridable below 3250 rpm (unless you are a mechanically inept animal trying to break the final drive and want to see if the instrument cluster can literally vibrate off the bike). I fitted a powercommander and can now happily ride at 1500rpm and pop the front wheel off the ground by 3k. The difference is incredible.

I put a posh booster plug on a euro 4 adventure LC, of course you can feel it working (but its very subtle) - however the nanny state electronics are mostly winding off the power whilst the booster plug is trying to help. Enduro pro mode is the least bad setting if you understand what the right hand grip is supposed to be for.

The "proper" booster plug has a separate ambient temp sensor that should be fitted in the air flow at the front of the bike so that the AIT offset varies according to ambient temp conditions. What you want is a richer mixture than BM offer, not force it to continuously believe the full cold weather map must be used at all times. That's the difference between a budget AIT offset device, rather than the current "booster plug"

dragging up an old post (as I just quoted this post as evidence a simple AIT offset can improve drivability, a lot of cars with euro 5 are becoming undrivable)

but then reading some of the points raised there is some serious misinformation posted.

A bike with a booster plug fitted can't learn and compensate out what it does. It doesn't work like that ever.
A bike with a booster plug only impacts for short duration throttle movement below 4k rpm - after this it has no impact on steady throttle application or higher rev engine management at all
All it does is offset the AIT (air temp intake sensor) and trick the bike in to thinking its a bit colder than it really is, so at low revs on a constantly varying throttle (round town, on off throttle, exactly where an overly lean mixture causes seriously rideability issues) it brings in a colder weather fuel map richening up the mixture a TINY bit. As soon as the flow over the CAT sensor is sufficient and stable enough the booster plugs impact is totally negated.

On the K25 boxer engine the std fueling is a sick joke that is so poor you could take a swig of petrol and spit it in far better than BMW does it. Mine was unridable below 3250 rpm (unless you are a mechanically inept animal trying to break the final drive and want to see if the instrument cluster can literally vibrate off the bike). I fitted a powercommander and can now happily ride at 1500rpm and pop the front wheel off the ground by 3k. The difference is incredible.

I put a posh booster plug on a euro 4 adventure LC, of course you can feel it working (but its very subtle) - however the nanny state electronics are mostly winding off the power whilst the booster plug is trying to help. Enduro pro mode is the least bad setting if you understand what the right hand grip is supposed to be for.

The "proper" booster plug has a separate ambient temp sensor that should be fitted in the air flow at the front of the bike so that the AIT offset varies according to ambient temp conditions. What you want is a richer mixture than BM offer, not force it to continuously believe the full cold weather map must be used at all times. That's the difference between a budget AIT offset device, rather than the current "booster plug"

This may well be true if it is publish in a non-BMW forum.

However, for the BMW ecu a "proper" boosterplug is the one you place in the trashcan.

Whatever compensation to the fueling the boosterplug may offer, the O2 sensor will sense the richer mixture and readjust the fueling to get it back on track (Track as in AFR 14,7). Whenever the ECU operates in closed loop, the compensations required by the O2 sensor also gets stored in the adaptive table (long term trim in non-BMW language). The long term trim strives to be the compensation value that adds/subtracts fuel to where the realtime compensation from the O2 sensor is 0 (short term trim).
The long term trim is also added in open loop conditions, thus if the engine e.g has a clogged airfilter the engine will also have a descent fueling during open loop conditions.

Therefor, you will notice the boosterplug in the beginning after it's installed, and then, ever so slowly the long term trim table gets adjusted, based on feedback from O2 sensor in closed loop conditions, and the eventually the effect of the boosterplug is neutralized.

The ugly part, in my opinion, is that the sellers of the different devices spend a great deal of effort to explain the wonder of their product, and then conveniently omits the crucial information that actually torpedo the use of their product.

I can not rule out that the boosterplug was able to make the fueling richer beyond the range of the adaption capability on early systems. But the lates systems do have such a large range that the richening has to be quite heavy in order to not be overridden by the ECU. If you push the latest ECU to its maximum compensation values the engine will run quite rough.

I've seen one company that even mention the adaption as an impossible feature and claims it is BS and false rumors set out to hurt their business, neglecting that Bosch introduced adaption in Motronic 2.2 (late -80s) BMW introduced the O2 sensor early -90 and their systems have been adaptive ever since.

As I said... it doesn't work like that.... bikes don't run permanently in closed loop for a lot of the time, on and off the throttle with revs below 4k rpm its NEVER in closed loop so the booster plug does richen the mixture and make it more flexible, smoother, less snatchy and less gutless

once it goes closed loop then the booster plug has no effect and economy and high speed running are not impacted at all

... which is why they are a good fix till you find someone competent to map it properly

Wow! Just read through this thread, I didn’t realise just how clever the BMW ecu really is! Surely it must use AI to be that clever? I mean I always thought that the ecu had to be flashed to change it’s software programs, now after reading this, I find that the BMW ecu actually teaches itself. Amazing! :popcorn

Back
Top Bottom