MapSource "Trip & Waypoint Manager" - Am I Expecting Too Much?

PhaedrusMC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All.

To dip my toe in the world of GPS route-planning, I was given a MapSource CD, with "Trip & Waypoint Manager" written on the front.

There's some text on the back of the sleeve that says: "Product does not include any detailed maps. You are not able to download additional map detail to any Garmin GPS using this product".

And sure enough, the maps aren't detailed, not do they seem to have a satellite view (a la google maps). Am I expecting more than MapSource has to offer? Or isn't this a "full version" of MapSource?

I have no GPS unit at this time - I got this CD purely as an attempt to start understanding creating routes.

Thanks leedude03.

I had initially tried to download Basecamp, but I'm running Vista Home Premium, so that didn't work out.

I'll keep playing with MapSource - no rush or pressure.

:thumb2

Garmin has different versions of Basecamp for different operating systems.

This one says it is suitable for <a href="https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435" target="_blank">Vista</a>

Mapsource (and Basecamp) are programs for managing maps and not the maps themselves. With both you can manage maps provided by Garmin or openstreetmaps. You have to pay for Garmin maps but you can download openstreetmaps for free http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Once you have the maps you can then plan routes etc. Download your maps, open Mapsource and in the top left of the screen you will see a box for the maps being used. You can have more than one option-I currently have nine different maps listed. I now find that the openstreetmaps are generally better than the Garmin versions. Not so long ago the Garmin maps were better in the UK, this is no longer the case.

I find Mapsource much easier to use than Basecamp and certainly quicker to learn. You can start by making a start and end point and letting the software plot you a route (check the routing options-"preferences" under the "Edit" menu) Once you have a basic route you can pick up and drag the route to use roads you want.

John

Back
Top Bottom