Which bike for green-lanes?

the best bike for green laning is ......the one your riding that simple.

hd

if only you had put a plough on that tractor, it would have stayed upright

It depends very much on how the power valve is set up

Stock they come in with a top end rush that sees the front wheel pawing the air in the first three gears which is how mine is set. They will pootle along in the higher gears with a power valve adjustment but you still have to occasionally give it a thrapping just to clean it out and stop it spooging up with gunge out of the exhaust

The 200 is about 98kg so super light for the woods and gnarly stuff

Always had 4T EXC's (2 x 525's & 1 x 400) before the little 200 but I'm well happy with my 2T and will be getting in to fettling it a bit more real soon :thumb2

My CRF 250's great for green laneing and has been to the IOM twice for this. The 185 mile journey to Heysham Port was also no problem with a small case strapped to the back. The only slight downside was the 130 mile tank range.

I'm thinking of trying a CB500x with the Rally Raid adventure kit. Seems like a good compromise between lightweight adventure bike and decent off-road capability...

The weight sounds great! interesting about the power valve too thanks. I will do some googling this weekend. A couple of friends have the 450 EXC's so I will have to give one a go.

It depends very much on how the power valve is set up

Stock they come in with a top end rush that sees the front wheel pawing the air in the first three gears which is how mine is set. They will pootle along in the higher gears with a power valve adjustment but you still have to occasionally give it a thrapping just to clean it out and stop it spooging up with gunge out of the exhaust

The 200 is about 98kg so super light for the woods and gnarly stuff

Always had 4T EXC's (2 x 525's & 1 x 400) before the little 200 but I'm well happy with my 2T and will be getting in to fettling it a bit more real soon :thumb2

My CRF 250's great for green laneing and has been to the IOM twice for this. The 185 mile journey to Heysham Port was also no problem with a small case strapped to the back. The only slight downside was the 130 mile tank range.

That ought my eye too, another friend has one of these and i'll have to have a go on that one too!!

Finally got a bike!!!!!

2014 CRF450XRL.

The few times I've been out on it have left a huge grin..... :D

Attachments

• CRF450X.jpg
    CRF450X.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 688
The weight sounds great! interesting about the power valve too thanks. I will do some googling this weekend. A couple of friends have the 450 EXC's so I will have to give one a go.

I always found the 450 a bit too much in the power delivery department for laning and much preferred my 525 :green gri

I'm thinking of trying a CB500x with the Rally Raid adventure kit. Seems like a good compromise between lightweight adventure bike and decent off-road capability...

Humour me...

Given where I live, I need a bike for this that can comfortably be ridden quite a distance (i.e. 40 - 50 miles plus) before going off-road and I don't have/want a van.

Unless I'm missing something, the RR version is an interesting alternative to something like a CCM 450...

Humour me...

Given where I live, I need a bike for this that can comfortably be ridden quite a distance (i.e. 40 - 50 miles plus) before going off-road and I don't have/want a van.

Unless I'm missing something, the RR version is an interesting alternative to something like a CCM 450...

Nothing like a ccm 450

Buy a CRF 250 L as your intro bike

True, but the 450 will come on cam mid throttle like a power valve opening on a 2T whereas the 525 is just a big old lugger from anywhere in the rev range :clap

Back
Top Bottom