Navigator V with iPhone and Cardo Packtalk

Koh-out

Reaction score
Hi GSers,
I have finally found a minute to ask about the setup I have been running. I have the Navigator V with iPhone 6 plus and Cardo Backtalk all connected together, but they do not seem to be doing what I need from them. It is very temperamental and its behaviour seem to change from time to time.
I use it mainly for navigation, which works fine and I get spoken instruction to my helmet. However, making and receiving calls is an absolute chore. I get the announcement on the Nav V that someone is calling. When I answer it I usually get nothing into my helmet even though the call connects. It seems to get answered on the phone if it gets answered at all.
What I am looking for is the ability to use the navigation and to answer and make calls, ideally using the Navigator V. Also, I quite like to use Siri when it actually works or I find myself in a place with network coverage.
I have learnt to pair the phone first and the satnav second which makes Siri work sometimes by a single press of a phone button. Nevertheless, I still can not answer calls, be it on the Packtalk or Nav V.
I remember reading about it somewhere in past but I don not think there was actually a good fix there described. I am rather peed off with the whole thing as it is nearly a thousand pounds worth of kit and it behaves like a cheap junk form 1900th century.
Is there any point doing a fresh install on the Nav V? I had issues with the map not installing properly and running out of memory. It seems to work now though. If clean install helps, how do you do it?
Can anyone help, please?
On a good note, I have been enjoying my new GSA and have just finished 5000 miles since August of last year.
Cheers,
Tom

Hi Tom,
Welcome to the nightmare of Bluetooth!
Me and a mate run Nav 5's with Cardo Sho1 units. God it's been a ball ache from the start.
Here are a few tips that we have leant.
Unpaire the Cardo, Nav 5, and phone of all blue tooth connections. From a fresh start in an open space (away from other bluetooth traffic) reconnect the two devices following the instructions carefully. In particular when pairing the NAV the instruction does tell you to press a second button to signal its a NAV device.
If you want to use the NAV for phone control don't pair the phone to the Cardo only the NAV.

Thank you Bigdave! I will give it a go. I really wish it was more straightforward.
Hi Tom,
Me and a mate run Nav 5's with Cardo Sho1 units. God it's been a ball ache from the start.
Unpaire the Cardo, Nav 5, and phone of all blue tooth connections. From a fresh start in an open space (away from other bluetooth traffic) reconnect the two devices following the instructions carefully. In particular when pairing the NAV the instruction does tell you to press a second button to signal its a NAV device.
If you want to use the NAV for phone control don't pair the phone to the Cardo only the NAV.

Well, I have followed your instructions and I have managed to sort out the phone control issue which is nice. By doing so, I had lost the direct connection from my phone, so I can't play music from it. This is annoying as hell, frankly. I had expected the whole thing work, it is 21st century after all.
I suppose I can either load my music onto Nav V or redo the pairing when I want to listen to music from my phone.
I first bought the Packtalk for the navigation, so I guess I will take it for what it is in conjunction with Nav V.
Thank you Bigdave, it was very helpful nevertheless.

Well, I have followed your instructions and I have managed to sort out the phone control issue which is nice. By doing so, I had lost the direct connection from my phone, so I can't play music from it. This is annoying as hell, frankly. I had expected the whole thing work, it is 21st century after all.
I suppose I can either load my music onto Nav V or redo the pairing when I want to listen to music from my phone.
I first bought the Packtalk for the navigation, so I guess I will take it for what it is in conjunction with Nav V.
Thank you Bigdave, it was very helpful nevertheless.

Correct, you need to use the Nav V as a bluetooth hub so your primary connection from your phone is to the Nav V. I have a Packtalk, Nav V but using a Nexus 6.

My Nexus 6 connects to both devices but the Nav V is seen as the phone while the Packtalk display "No Phone" next to it. It's the only way to make it work but I can play music on my phone.

I have a different issue where sometimes I only hear the echo of my own voice. I have been sending logs to Garmin about it since I changed from a G9x and Moto X to a Packtalk and Nexus 6 but it still does it. The Nav V does have bluetooth issues for sure...

Hi Tom,

Hello....I am new member and have the same issue....I have a Nav V, iPhone 6 Plus and a Cardo Packtalk bold....I had a Sena 20s and had it paired to my phone and the nav as a second phone....Worked great.....My son wanted a Packtalk Bold so I got the duo.....His works well...He only pairs to the phone...No GSP.

I left the pairing for my iPhone and Nav V alone and just paired the Packtalk Bold to the GPS as a second phone...this worked great...Could use Siri and all other functions work ok, however, there was a little intermittency with the voice commands.....I called Cardo and told them I was getting everything to work without pairing to the Cardo...But in order to get the updated software version, I was told to pair the phone to the cardo.....this is when I started having big time issues.....I got the download from Ver 5.1 to 5.6.....I set radio stations with the app on the phone and set the speed dial.....Now the unit is rarely recognizing any voice commands....After 6 hrs on phone yesterday and 4 hrs today trying everything, from reset to factory conditions to just resetting the unit, I sill have voice recognition problems....

I finally reset to factory by mistake and paired to GPS and Cardo to GPS and the phone to the GPS....All works with buttons but is still not recognizing all the voice commands all the time....still imtermittent ...It is really intermittent....Cardo tech suggested moving mic around and still not doing well....

My question to you is this: with your pairing like described in msg above, do you have any issues with the mic? Can you get Siri to work and can you simple say the commands once and have them work?

Please advise....I do not want to run out of time with a 30 day warranty....I may just have a bad unit if your works .... even with Siri.....thanks for any help....

Hello....I am new member and have the same issue....I have a Nav V, iPhone 6 Plus and a Cardo Packtalk bold....I had a Sena 20s and had it paired to my phone and the nav as a second phone....Worked great.....My son wanted a Packtalk Bold so I got the duo.....His works well...He only pairs to the phone...No GSP.

I left the pairing for my iPhone and Nav V alone and just paired the Packtalk Bold to the GPS as a second phone...this worked great...Could use Siri and all other functions work ok, however, there was a little intermittency with the voice commands.....I called Cardo and told them I was getting everything to work without pairing to the Cardo...But in order to get the updated software version, I was told to pair the phone to the cardo.....this is when I started having big time issues.....I got the download from Ver 5.1 to 5.6.....I set radio stations with the app on the phone and set the speed dial.....Now the unit is rarely recognizing any voice commands....After 6 hrs on phone yesterday and 4 hrs today trying everything, from reset to factory conditions to just resetting the unit, I sill have voice recognition problems....

I finally reset to factory by mistake and paired to GPS and Cardo to GPS and the phone to the GPS....All works with buttons but is still not recognizing all the voice commands all the time....still imtermittent ...It is really intermittent....Cardo tech suggested moving mic around and still not doing well....

My question to you is this: with your pairing like described in msg above, do you have any issues with the mic? Can you get Siri to work and can you simple say the commands once and have them work?

Please advise....I do not want to run out of time with a 30 day warranty....I may just have a bad unit if your works .... even with Siri.....thanks for any help....

Hi, i sometimes have difficulty getting the Packtalk to listen to me and i do have it set for my English voice not the American version. I find that changing my
voice pitch can get through when it's gone deaf. This does mainly apply to when on the move and there is wind noise as i run an open face helmet.
Whether this would work for you i obviously can't say but it's worth a try.

By the way, as you are new to the site, might i suggest you go to the "I'm new here" thread and introduce yourself as you will get some
very nice welcome messages from some very nice people :thumb2 :D

Not sure about your Cardo system, but this is what i don with my nav VI & Sena

I'm running Android on my phone btw

Make sure all devices have latest firmware - especially the helmet comms

The Sena has many pairing options, so i'll go through them to see if any offer any ideas for your setup

1) Mobile phone pairing

2) 2nd mobile phone pairing - So you can pair a second mobile phone,

3) Media selective pairing - for pairing an Mp3 player

3) GPS pairing

I paired mine in the following way

1) Paired my mobile to the Sena headset
2) paired my Nav VI to the GPS pairing

THis give the following

Phone can make / take calls play Spottify & all live functions ( Alexa / Google etc)

GPS functions (audio are routed to the headset)

If you have your music via Spotty, having to rip it back to an SD card to put into the nav unit so you can control it from there seems counter intuitive

If you have a jog wheel, yes you can go back and forward, but you can with voice control

I'm not bothered about seeing album artwork, if i dont know the song when i hear it .. seeing the road ahead or map is more important

The only downside is you dont get caller display on the Nav,

No biggy for me, the only calls i receive are the people i want to call me, and if i dont want the call i hang up ;)

Back
Top Bottom