Standard vs PCV vs AF-XIED

Having run the XIED`s for over 2 years - 20k + miles on an 2009 1200gs.
My recorded data shows AFR`s of setting 6 = 14.1 , setting 7 = 13.8 , setting 8 = 13.2,
I know stick with setting 7. The system seems to take 3 tanks of fuel to settle down.( adaptations )
I have now fitted them on a 2012 GS so will check these results on the twin cam when I get time to hook up the Innovate dual LM2 to the bike and log the data.

Mistacat, I see you're in Grantham so just up the road from me.
Maybe we could catch up at some point and have a chat about these Xieds?
I'm fancying a Set myself.

Mistacat, I see you're in Grantham so just up the road from me.
Maybe we could catch up at some point and have a chat about these Xieds?
I'm fancying a Set myself.

Hi, No Problem. I have now done 30K miles with my AF-XIED`s.
After 9K miles on my 2012 TC I finally got around to hooking my dual band Innovate LM2 up to the bike to record the AFR`s - setting 7 on the AF-XIED`s is still giving me 13.8 to 1 AFR.
I am 2 miles south of Grantham I mile past the army camp, around most of the time Pm me for more details.

Well, I am now 2500 miles in after fitting the AF XIED units. This is my second GSA TC, the first one I had remapped. It is very hard to make an objective assessment against which is better....but won't stop me giving a shot. Overall the AF units are really impressive, wonderful fuelling, especially on a trailing and steady throttle. I used to get surging at a steady 30mph in second...no more.

The smoothness across the Rev range is incredible and the 4500 hole has gone. I would say that the engine is smoother than the remap across the range by some margin. I am not sure that the motor delivers quite the uplift in wallop the remap did but it is close....and certainly better than standard.

So on bike effect alone I would go for the AF units over a remap. Add to this the ability to remove and take to the next bike or sell on when you sell your bike and it is a no brainer for me. Very simple to fit as well.

Highly recommended.

You'll burn in hell for that! :hide
I would imagine that it would be difficult to be objective unless running them back to back. But it's interesting to hear your experiences having used both.
You pays yer money...

Trouble is if you can't measure any results with a four gas and rolling road it all subjective guess work

You actually can measure the results on the road. The method is to take a GS-911, put it into data collection mode take several in-road acceleration samples, and average the results. The chart below is an example of that on a modified bike, compared to a stock dyno run done by a reputable shop. It isn't a perfect comparison, but the improvement in the 2000-3000 rpm range is what many riders report.

Further, it is well known among pilots of piston engine aircraft, which have a control that directly alters AFR, that engines get smoother as you shift them toward Best Power and they run roughly as you lean the mixture toward Best Economy.

If you leave the O2 sensors connected, chip remapping cannot alter AFR in those areas where Closed Loop fueling is active. Further, if a chip remapper does change fueling in the closed loop area, long term trims get out of whack in those areas not supported by Closed Loop. Not saying it can't be done to effect in the Open Loop areas (wide throttle angles) but it's tricky on a bike with O2 sensors.

The second chart below shows an R1200 before and after acceleration done on a dyno using gs-911 data collection.

alltorque121112.jpg

R1200GSaccelerationbeforeafter.jpg

Which probably explains why I am experiencing a smoother engine right across the Rev range than I did with a remap....

.....really done it now...a marked man!

That's why I am hiding out in the mods section rather than being all brave and posting in the 1200 section. In all seriousness though, dead impressed, I find my self taking the long way home from work because I am enjoying the bike so much more.

I'm off to Florida in a few weeks. Off to nightrider to pick up mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great, you won't regret it....I have mine set on 8 blinks, I also removed the straight through headers after a bit and went back to standard.....even smoother. Once you have your fitted and you have done a few miles it would be good to hear your thoughts.

Enjoy the trip.

Yes will report my findings. Currently have standard headers decatted and a bos aftermarket can. Will start on seven flashes and see where I go from there

Great....just remember it isn't the flashes you count but the gaps in between.

Cheers

Ok thanks. I think the default it comes with is seven isn't it?

Ok thanks will check when I fit it

Great, you won't regret it....I have mine set on 8 blinks, I also removed the straight through headers after a bit and went back to standard.....even smoother. Once you have your fitted and you have done a few miles it would be good to hear your thoughts.

Enjoy the trip.

8 blinks delivers a great result on a bike which is well tuned and has good O2 sensors. Because I've got the LC-1/2 I run the equivalent of #9 now and love the result.

Just picked up my AFXIED from Nightriders office in Oldsmar FL. Looking forward to flying home and getting it fitted. Will report back with my views

Fitted my AFX this evening. Was an easy fit. The most time was taken up with making it a tidy install and hiding the wires as much as possible. I've gone for 6 flashes initially as I've had my cat removed and also a race pipe is fitted. Have yet to ride it yet will report back.

Back
Top Bottom