RBLR1000 - It's back, do you relish a challenge?

Kit monster

Reaction score
Since 2009 the Royal British Legion Riders Branch has organized a mass sponsored long distance ride in the summer. Following a break last year the event is back with a vengeance on Saturday 11th June :bounce1

The event raises money for the Poppy Appeal to help veterans and their families. Riders sign up and have a choice of 5 circular routes, all starting and finishing at Squires cafe at Newthorpe near Leeds:

1000 miles - North Clockwise or Anti-clockwise
1000 miles - South Clockwise or Anti-clockwise
500 miles - Anti-clockwise only

There's free camping on-site all weekend or there's plenty of local accommodation. Everyone assembles from Friday afternoon and all rides start between 05.00 - 07.00 hours on Saturday morning. There's no time limit for any route but if riders finish any of the 1000 mile routes in less than 24 hours they gain instant membership into the Iron Butt Association. :cool:

There's often around 200 riders taking part all riding their own choice of route. Many ride alone, some ride with a mate or in small groups. Due to the hours of daylight many riders on the northern route get to ride the whole of Scotland in daylight

The links below will take you to the RBLR and IBA UK event websites where you can see all the information, maps, detailed instructions and enter on-line:

http://www.rblr.co.uk/content/?page=rblr1000_2016

http://www.ironbutt.co.uk/rblr1000.php

So if you fancy a challenge and want to help support our veterans then please have a look and sign up. :thumb2

I have fancied doing one of these iron butt challenges and have signed up for this. The British Legion have struggled in recent times with all of the other pop-up charities jumping on the back of Help for Heroes. A very worthy cause as the RBL do sterling work. I'll wear my veterans pin with pride.

You'll love it. And with a GSA you'll only need to fuel up 3 times on the North Clockwise route ;)

Have a look on the dedicated forum if you want to ask any questions or get feedback from other nutters who've done it before :thumb2

Wish they had a southern start, 230 miles just to get to Squires Cafe.

I got a good deal on the Milford Hotel as they are doing a reduced rate for this event and it is only 1.7 miles from the Squires. Leisurely ride up Friday and a lay in on Sunday before the return home.

Did it last time hmmmm? Best thing I ever did :thumb2 great people. The feeling getting back to Squires cafe was amazing :clap

Would be sorely tempted to have a go at this, unfortunately, the 11th is the day I return from my annual European bike trip, maybe next year.

Well £20 on it's way...here we go again, great cause :thumb2

Hope to see a few of you on-route

Ride safe

TD
(Iron butt member)

Could do, i would definitely be up for it.

Wish they had a southern start, 230 miles just to get to Squires Cafe.

We looked at multiple starts with one each in the north and south. However individuals choosing to do so would need to prepare and submit all their own paperwork which is a bit of a pain. This way you just turn up do the ride and get presented with your IBA certificate when you finish. Providing all the requirements have been met during the ride.

Anyway, 230 miles is a mere warm up if you're about to ride 1000 the next day :rolleyes:

As mentioned by others, I'll take the Friday off work and take a leisurely ride up in the morning have a spot of lunch when I arrive and chill out socializing and bike watching as riders gradually turn up through the afternoon.

Early to bed in a cheap Premier Inn nearby, then start at 05.00 and be back in my warm bed Saturday night before midnight (hopefully). A nice lay-in on Sunday, back to Squires for brunch and a final meeting before heading home in time for tea. :)

We looked at multiple starts with one each in the north and south. However individuals choosing to do so would need to prepare and submit all their own paperwork which is a bit of a pain. This way you just turn up do the ride and get presented with your IBA certificate when you finish. Providing all the requirements have been met during the ride.

Anyway, 230 miles is a mere warm up if you're about to ride 1000 the next day :rolleyes:

If it can be done in one place it can be done in another, i get that it would require 2 full sets of supporters to manage but time is precious and a day ride up then 1000 miles then a day ride down is just too much time, for me anyway. I'm sure Loomies or Rykas bike cafe would like to get involved, maybe can’t camp there but a perfect start point

I am a member paid up member of the RBLR, not very active, but as I’m still serving and very busy with work and leave is hard enough to get anyway a 3 day charity ride just isn’t feasible.

Sorry you won't be able to make it this year dsb79. We'll never please all the people all the time especially with guys and gals who're still serving like yourself. But thanks for looking anyway and taking the time to comment. :thumb2

How many GS's doing the northern loop clockwise?

Well, it's now 80 riders who've signed up. 25 on BMWs of which the majority are GS variants. There's even a Vincent taking part :cool:

Not certain how many GSs are going North without trawling through every single application form which I get copied in on but there's 36 riders going north clockwise and 26 going anti-clockwise :D

Well, it's now 80 riders who've signed up. 25 on BMWs of which the majority are GS variants. There's even a Vincent taking part :cool:

Not certain how many GSs are going North without trawling through every single application form which I get copied in on but there's 36 riders going north clockwise and 26 going anti-clockwise :D

Thanks for the reply, I'm really looking forward to this.

North clockwise here (as per before) :thumb2

92 Riders now, 12 pillions and 40 going north clockwise with 33 going in the other direction. 29 BMs but Hondas are catching up with 24 riders. Only two Ducati's both Multistradas. Maybe Ducati owners don't like getting their bikes wet and dirty :)

Back
Top Bottom