GSA to XR back to GSA

telbenj

Reaction score
So I sold the 2014 GSA and have had 7 months and 7000 miles on the XR wow what a bike it is too, but for me I always compared it to the GSA and for me it was the bike that done it all, so I pick up my 2016 GSA 1200 in a couple of days time and I can't wait to get back in the saddle again.

Roll on Summer

Terry

don't blame you mate,ihad a gsxr750 for yonks and loved it.But I did get in the poo law wise so I had to let it go,I guess the XR is abit the same! Good luck with the new bike

I test rode the XR thinking I would not be able to resist buying one!

Truth be told I hadn't got half a mile down the road before I realised it was everything I was trying to get away from.

Went back and bought a WC .. and so glad I did.

At a different point in history the XR would have been fantastic - Stonking machine! :thumby:

the problem is that you need to understand its an as well as bike, not an instead of. I think that one along side my R1100GS and my KTM990 adventure would be ideal, got all the bases except harley covered and can borrow the wifes.

the problem is that you need to understand its an as well as bike, not an instead of. I think that one along side my R1100GS and my KTM990 adventure would be ideal, got all the bases except harley covered and can borrow the wifes.

That's so true, it's a cracking bike but for me the GSA is the closest to does it all for me, I have a couple of planned big trips and the thought of doing it on the XR was playing on my mind, that made my mind up really
Terry

don't blame you mate,ihad a gsxr750 for yonks and loved it.But I did get in the poo law wise so I had to let it go,I guess the XR is abit the same! Good luck with the new bike

I only had the XR for 3 weeks and got done for speeding that was the first time in 10 yrs lol yes it's a quick bike and sort of makes you do it just to hear that exhaust note, great bike,

Terry

Just got one after four GSA's, test ridden twice and was ready for a change, if doesn't work out GSA here I come, but can't wait to get some miles on mine

I disagree
It is the only bike i have and do everything i did on the GSA including long trips

I think of the differences as this

the GS or GSA will get you to the mountains very well and let you have some fun when you get there the XR will get you to the mountains nearly as well but huge/more fun when there. Think of it as a weaponised GS !

I loved my GSA but the XR is for me perfect - touring no problem and hooligan at the same time

it is a NIP magnet though although I have been lucky so far

all down to personal preference of course with no right or wrong

I lasted 2 months and 2K miles in mostly cold/damp weather before riding back to the stealers with my tail between my legs. Ended up up buying my old LC back.

Pride and wallet took a dent, but I'm glad I'm back on the LC. In the right conditions and frame of mind the XR was just amazing, but it did up the ante just a bit too much. Would have ended up in a lot of trouble. Harsh suspension, vibes and a bit tall didn't help.

Out today on the LC in 2.5C to 7C having a blast on damp roads is where it's at for me. Similar to others comments, it was a different bike rather than a replacement for the GS + Blade. Having said all that, if it wasn't so firm (maybe I should have got non-EAS and have the option to play with the suspenders) and I'd gone for the low option things might have been different. Like 6 more points!

Why not have both?:nenau:p

All joking aside, I said when the XR first came out, DO NOT COMPARE THE XR TO A GS/ GSA. The bikes are completely different.

The GS/A is the ultimate all in one bike. Or jack of all trades, master of none, as Arsey will point out.:D

I spent 90 minutes on a demo S1000XR on Saturday while the GSA was in for a service; of all the BMW range its the only one I was thinking could be an alternative to the GSA. However I found, as above, it is in no way a GS with a S1000 motor, which is what I had been led to believe (don't ask), so it came as something of a shock!

Hated it for the first ten minutes. The non-adjustable cable-operated clutch was horrible, mounted on flat bars that were too much of a reach, my heels were tucked up somewhere under my bum, and the wind was pulling me all over the place.

Then I relaxed, started to treat it as more of a sports bike, and played with the quick shifter. Wow, that thing hustles! Pulls from anywhere in the revs, smooth and linear, and the quick shift allows for a rapid turbine smooth increase in silly speeds. Downshifts equally impressive. The sporty position, wide bars and smaller front wheel encourage you to throw it around; genuinely felt you could anything with that bike. Rather than a 4-cylinder GS it felt more like a supermoto/street-fighter cross. Not had so much fun since I don't know when.

Downsides? That clutch is heavier and at the limit of my finger length. I felt the tingling vibes others have commented on, in the bars and foot pegs, but not so bad they would deter me. Oh, and the heated grips seemed particularly ineffectual, and slightly less weather protection than I am used to.

Again, as others have said above, I still consider the GSA my one bike for all jobs, and will more likely preserve my license. It does a different job and if I had the money, I'd have a XR as well in a heart-beat.

"4 cylinder GS"

Totally agree, think thats what I was expecting and came away thinking not for everyday, be great at the weekend :)

That's the problem, for most of us I can only afford one new bike or two older ones, so for me it's the GSA. But yes definitely would have both if I could, the XR is an amazing bit of kit, boy does that thing fly.

Only two more sleeps and back the GSA

Terry

Back
Top Bottom