Dirt Ride Planned and Tested

sorebums

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Folks

Went to test out the trails planned for the dirt ride yesterday - superb day out. Did about 140kms, with about 40kms off-road. Lots of mixed terrain, all doable on an Adventurer.

Bushboy will post some pictures over the next couple of days - watch this thread.

Here's some idea of what is planned.

You'll need:

- a GS, with TKC 80s or knobblier: all of the trails have firm ground under a layer of mud, but you'll need knobblies to cut through the mud. Having said that I got round with a fairly worn TKC on the rear and a new one on the front.
- a bike that you don't mind getting dirty and / or scratched a bit : it's likely that you'll tumble off a few times at low speed, so you'll need crash bars
- some dirt experience would be very useful: this ride's not ideal for those 'with a new GS / this is the first time I've ridden off road'.
- a packed lunch / drink or 'something to keep you going': there are a few pubs on the way, but there is no telling when we'll get to them. The plan is to eat al fresco and spend as much of th day ridng as possible.
- usual safety gear - decent boots and some eye protection - as there are lots of overhanging bushes.
- A SENSE OF FUN!!

I have devised one long circular run, whcih we can do in one direction on Saturday and in the other direction on Sunday. It is unlikely that we'll complete the whole run on Saturday; it took Bushboy and me 6 hours riding quickly and without 'the organisational issues' that come with group riding.

If you want to drop out of the run at any time, you're never more than 20 miles fron Llangollen. I'll have copies of the local map so I can show you where were are and how to get back. I expect to 'lose' quite a few people on the Sunday as they just want to do an hour or 2 before zooting off home.

I propose the following order for each day...

9.45 - meet and briefing at the Hand Hotel car park
10.00 - leave the hand
10.10 - start getting muddy
15.00 - review progress and decide as a group how much more we want to do.
17.00 - target latest arrival time back to Llangollen

At the moment I plan to lead the dirt ride as one group. We all ride the dirt sections together and we'll use a 'System D' (Drop-off system), I will explain that at the breifing.

Have I forgotten anything?

If you think you'll be doing the dirt ride on one or both days, can you tell me by replying to this thread?

Thanks

Simon

i should be there saturday :) whats with all the mud tho ? some good stoney tracks to be had around there, with a bit of water thrown in (ask spout);)

:beerjug: mike

Looks like fun:
DSC04128.JPG

DSC04130.JPG

http://www.tycouserwebs.com/downloads/mccarthy/At 05-04-10/JPGs/DSC04134.JPG

DSC04136.JPG

Ha ha!

DSC04143.JPG

Wales Ride out pics

What a good session of tracks, dirt, mud and even a little lamb!

I found all tracks easy with the exception of one that I dropped the bike on due to loose shale rock and a combonation of 1 heavy mother of a bike, poor traction, steep hill and end of the day, knackered. see image. Now not on the planned route.

Over all if ou have had one or two of road sessions in the past and are not worried about mud on the toy or maybe a scratch or two then you will have a blast. I know I did, mind you took 3 hours to clean the bike back to as new.

Bushboy

little demons

I would like to be on the ride saturday please, as of now will be able to come.........
Thanks
Dood':D :beer:

Henry

The ride would be well within your ability - ass long as you:

- stay off the pop the night before
- keep you toes in
- can reach the ground from your bike

On second thoughts, there's no way you'll manage any of these criteria, so you'd better go and ride some fords.

GET YOUR ARSE OUT WITH THE DIRT BOYS - YOU'LL LOVE IT!!!

Simon

When to do the Dirt-Run

Folks

It looks like we've a strong concensus on 'doing the dirt run on Saturday', with no takers (yet) for Sunday.

So I may change the emphasis to

'let's try to do the whole route on Saturday'.

Anyone getting tired would be able to break off and ride back to Llangollen - I would provide a map and directions.

This approach would make it a bit more 'hardcore' and would make for a longer day, but it is very doable. We'd still review progress as the day goes on.

So.. if some or all of you want, I'll try to keep the pace up and get round the whole route in one day.

RSVP

Simon

Would love to come along ... in fact I'm torn between this and Fanum's "hardcore" ford tour :D Assuming I can get some knobblies fitted in time.

I'm a newbie though ... would you be OK if I came along on the understanding that you're free to tell me to bugger off if you think I can't cope?

Mouse

Would love to have you with us. The first section is very doable, with the trickiest factor being the mud in the ruts - but it is slow and if you fall you shouldn't get hurt or do too much (if any) damage. If you can do and are loving the first section, then you should feel ok with the rest of the day.

The only thing that will get you is the length of the day and the odd technical/muddy bit where a slow tumble might occur. At the start of each dirt section, I can give a quick overview of what to expect for newbies, so that you'll know whether to be careful or to gun it.

Knobblies will be required.

Simon

Easy Peasy

To all,

Right then, all trails are a walk in the park. Really, I have many years off road and rate this as a easy intro to the dirt. Most sections are just that, easy open sections. a few ruts, but these are easy if you stay in the rut and do not try to cross the centre of the trail as you might end up sideways or over on your side.
Few muddy sections that have a nice grippy base once you dig through the top layer of mud. TKC's or similar are required.
Some water sections are at the deepest maybe 1-2 foot deep. Again easy with a firm base for traction.

I am happy to help out with tips re rock, mud, water whatever. Dosent mean I am correct in my method but I have fun and it gets me by. Also I am rather generours with the throttle most of the time.

Well enough from me. Rant rant.

Bushboy.

Re: Trailwings

MATKAT said:
Bushboy, will my Trailwings on my G/S cope with this slippy slidy stuff??
Thanks
Dood'
Nah, you'll be fine on slicks:grndevil

Bloody hell Simon. What sort of Draconian criteria are those? I'll be XT mounted with Pirelli MT21's and i promise only to drink a lake the night before. As ever i'll give it a go, but i have notified the N. Wales St John's Ambulance Service.
Cassel was a particularly unusual set of events you know. I don't ride my whole life like that. Yeah right:)
HENRY

Mouse,why the need for a snorkel .give it sum gun and stick it on back wheel.Simon i,m ok for sat /sun or long do onsat:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom