Whistlestop tour

agfoxx

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I need a bit of advice please.

I'll be in Ceuta for work in early May. I've figured out a way to be sneaky and to add a few days' leave to this work trip.

I should finish work in Ceuta by noon on the 3rd of May. I need to fly back home on the 7th; this is non-negotiable. My plan is to hire a bike in southern Spain, take the ferry in, then take the ferry out again on the 6th, late in the evening.

This will mean that I'll have 3 1/2 days in Morocco on a bike. And my boss doesn't even need to know :)

I'm quite keen to see Chefchaouen and probably Fes. So I was thinking the following:

May 3
Ceuta - Chefchaouen (P4703, P4701, then N2)
May 4
Chefchaouen to Fes (need route recommendations!)
May 5
Fes to somewhere else (need route recommendations.... I was thinking about the Western coast?)
May 6
Leave early from wherever I end up on May 5; ferry out of Ceuta at about 1930.

What do you guys think? Too much planned in too little time? And I would be grateful for any recommendations!

Thanks!

Unless you have a letter of permission from the hire company for the bike AND it's documentation, I very much doubt you will be able to get into Morocco with it.

Otherwise your route sounds good. From Chefchaouen to Fes, initially take the N13 south but soon you could pick up the P4103 towards Zoumi, then the R408 and R501 to Fes. On the return from Fes, I'd head north and pick up the N16 on the Med coast, which is a very good road and quite scenic.

Unless you have a letter of permission from the hire company for the bike AND it's documentation, I very much doubt you will be able to get into Morocco with it.

Otherwise your route sounds good. From Chefchaouen to Fes, initially take the N13 south but soon you could pick up the P4103 towards Zoumi, then the R408 and R501 to Fes. On the return from Fes, I'd head north and pick up the N16 on the Med coast, which is a very good road and quite scenic.

Thanks Blue Sweeper. I've already spoken to the hire company; all is in hand - paperwork will be in order :)

And thanks for your recommendations. Sounds great!

A

On the Michelin map of Morocco, the P4103 is marked as very bad, but it's been recently graded and new Tarmac surface laid. Very scenic route to take to get to Fes other than use the N13 all the way, which is boring and heavily used by trucks.

BTW, the P4703 and P4701 is a nice route south from Ceuta. But continue to pass Tetouan and take the N16 initially to get the P4105 to Chefchaouen. The N2 has heavy slow traffic south.

Echo Blue Sweeper's suggestion for the Mokrisset/Zoumi road. The alternative side road route of the R419 via Bni Ahmed and Tabouda is currently in terrible condition.

Unless you are going to spend at least half a day, preferably a full day, in Fez, I wouldn't bother. You'll struggle like hell with the evening traffic and then have to repeat it again the next morning. What you could do is head south and visit Moulay Idriss and Volubilis.

Over towards Asilah on the Atlantic coast there's an interesting stone circle at M'zoura and a bit to the north the ruins of Colonia Zilli, a Roman staging post.

Echo Blue Sweeper's suggestion for the Mokrisset/Zoumi road. The alternative side road route of the R419 via Bni Ahmed and Tabouda is currently in terrible condition.

Unless you are going to spend at least half a day, preferably a full day, in Fez, I wouldn't bother. You'll struggle like hell with the evening traffic and then have to repeat it again the next morning. What you could do is head south and visit Moulay Idriss and Volubilis.

Over towards Asilah on the Atlantic coast there's an interesting stone circle at M'zoura and a bit to the north the ruins of Colonia Zilli, a Roman staging post.

Thank you Tim.

At the moment, my route looks like this (and I've added an extra day).

Day 1
Ceuta - N16 - P4703 - P4701 - N16 - P4105 - N13 - Chefchaouen

Day 2
Chefchaouen - P4103 - R408 - R501 - R707 - P7231 - Azrou

Day 3
Azrou - N13 - P7217 - P7311 - Ouma River rapids - P7306 - N13 - N8 - Fes

Day 4
Fes

Day 5
Fes - A2 - A1 - Larache - A1 - N16 - Ceuta

Does this look sensible?

Back