skip waypoint

wessie

Reaction score
Is there an easy way to skip a waypoint on the Zumo 350?

When using Mapsource/Basecamp to create a route I usually use a start/end point and then shape the route by dragging the work to where I want to go. The device recalculates quite happily if you go off the route at times.

On the recent trip I did a couple of routes on the Zumo 390 itself, using start/end points and then intermediary waypoints. Sometimes these waypoints were not exactly where we rode and I wanted to skip that waypoint and go on to the next one.

On some satnavs you can simply tell the device to skip the waypoint and it re-plots your route to the next one. The Zumo 390 does not seem to have this option. All I could work out to do is to open the route and manually start it again from the next waypoint. This is a PITA as it is not a simple one press option you can do whilst riding.

I am not familiar with the 350 Wessie, albeit it's a very good device.

From a quick Google search, it appears not. I did find this which, if correct, seem to show that the skip waypoint option only exists on later models. Stopping the route and asking it to then take you to your next (or preferred) waypoint seems to be the only way automatic way to do it. The device will of course plot its route using your pre-set preferences, which may or may not suit you.

https://www.gpscity.com/questions?qid=36903

A workaround, which is useful on other devices too, is to display the route but not run it. Then ride to whatever point on the magenta line you like; this is the equivalent of the old 'Please drive to highlighted route' instruction from earlier models. Basically, this way you are using the device as a paper map, so it probably won't scroll. Drag the map around as you ride. This is a useful trick for the latest devices if you go miles off route.

What Garmin has done is learned that most of their customers do not plot their own rotes from A to D via B and C, hence the arrival of things like the 'Windy roads' option and now, on the latest US devices, choices like 'Hilly roads'. These users do not care HOW they get from A to D via C and D, they are happy to let the device plot it for them. We see the same thing own this site with requests for 'Great roads, mate' sometimes over a thousand mile route. Unfortunately, for others who do like to plot their own routes, this brings some problems of its own, as you have now found.

If you go into 'settings/map and vehicle' and then scroll down to 'Map Buttons' you can add features to your map page. I have the 'Skip waypoint' and 'Stop' on mine. The 'Skip' button is right at the bottom of the 'Map Buttons' menu.

Hope this helps. :)

If you go into 'settings/map and vehicle' and then scroll down to 'Map Buttons' you can add features to your map page. I have the 'Skip waypoint' and 'Stop' on mine. The 'Skip' button is right at the bottom of the 'Map Buttons' menu.

Hope this helps. :)

It does, thanks. I did the same as Wapping and googled but nothing came up other than to say the function is absent.

The "skip" button is one of the most useful. It only appears when you have a multi-point route active.

Back
Top Bottom