R1150GS Rear Tyre Balancing Adapter

tadhgocuilleain

Reaction score
When performing the protection detail on my R1150GS Adventure (write-up here), I removed the balancing weights from both wheels so I could apply the paint sealant underneath them.

Balancing the front wheel on the static balancer isn't a problem, but as most of us probably know, the rear wheel has an awkward hub that won't fit on a static balancer without an adapter. I assumed these adapters would be readily available, but when I searched online, I found that the available adapters were over-complicated and ridiculously expensive. I decided to see if I could come up with a simple solution.

One side of the rear wheel has a smaller hole where the plastic cap fits, I can't remember the exact size, but it's about 20mm and will fit on the cone of a static balancer:

IMG_7811p_zpsyvshmu29.jpg

The problem is the other side of the wheel, where the wheel bolts to the final drive:

IMG_7809p_zpswjyffpyn.jpg

This hole is much too large to fit on the cones of a normal static balancer. I took a callipers and measured it. The hole is slightly tapered. At the very outer edge, it's just under 42mm. When I measured as far in a the callipers would reach, it was just over 40mm. I decided that something with an external diameter of 41mm should fit just right. The diameter of the spindle of my static balancer is 12mm - I think that's fairly standard. So I decided I was looking for something with an external diameter of 41mm and an internal diameter of 12mm. After rooting around in my workshop for a while, I couldn't find anything that would do.

After thinking about it for a while, it occurred to me that a bearing would be perfect for the job, but I figured a bearing with an external diameter of 41mm wouldn't exist. I did a Google search anyway for a 41mm/12mm bearing and, low and behold, there is such a thing! It's a spare part for a Trend wood router. It's listed as "Trend B41 bearing". I bought mine from http://www.tools247.co.uk/ through Amazon for £11.16 + £7.49 P&P to Ireland. It arrived two or three days later and it's a perfect fit:

IMG_7813p_zpse3gfnqhh.jpg

It was a tight fit going on over the spindle (as a bearing should be), so I lightly filed the inside of the bearing, to make it a little easier to slide on and off. I then put a cone on the spindle outside it to hold it in place:

IMG_7810p_zpsqss5ovc0.jpg

IMG_7812p_zpsbcew6ehi.jpg

The wheel doesn't rotate on the bearing because the other side of the wheel is sitting on the cone, so the wheel and spindle just rotate on the bearings of the balancer, as normal.

I just thought I'd share that because it's a simple, cheap solution and will hopefully be useful to others.

Well, that answers that. They should advertise as such because I'd have bought one if I'd known it would fit the 1150. Ah well, my bearing method is cheaper. :)

I just put 'R1150GS Abba adaptor' in Google because, as you point out, Abba don't list it on their website and it brought this thread up.
Excellent idea with the bearing, I'm just about to order one

Thanks for the original post
Shopping in 2024-
Simply bearings: £7.03 inc VAT, postage free or Royal Mail £1.50 if in a hurry
MJ1/2ZZ Imperial Metal Shielded Deep Groove Ball Bearing 1/2x1-5/8x5/8 inch
Equivalent to: RMS4ZZ
Brand / Quality: EU Budget - Economy Quality
Inside Diameter: 12.7mm = 0.5 (1/2) inch
Outside Diameter: 41.28mm = 1.625 (1-5/8) inch
Width: 15.88mm = 0.625 (5/8) inch
Worth looking on ebay, also under a tenner inc post check internal size.

Back
Top Bottom