Tyre routes to Garmin??

dave hendy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A friend of mine has sent me a route for an up coming trip to Scotland, he only uses Tyre so the file is a TRF file:eek:

Can I convert this to use with MapSource or Basecamp:confused: as I want to tweek it a bit?

I have never looked at Tyre before and as I am trying to learn Basecamp still I don't really want to bother with it:blast

Thanks in advance

Hi Dave. Ask your friend to save the file as a GPX file in Tyre. I'm pretty sure he can do that. Then send you the file as GPX and it should go straight into your Garmin. RobA.

If you get a .gpx file from your friend load it into Mapsource (Basecamp if you must) and make a copy before re calculating the route. If a route has been made in Tyre it will have used a different map and the recalculating process will show up any errors caused by the difference. You can then adjust the route to match your friends intentions.

Or you can download Tyre and do it yourself. This make the comparison clear as you can compare the route on the two systems.

Often there will be very little difference but I have come across several areas where the two maps show different road layouts which could cause problems. Where I used to live in Austria the Tyre and TomTom maps had a local junction completely wrong and simply refused to route people from a local road onto a more important one as the required connection was not shown

Alternatively you could get your friend to ditch Tyre, get a decent Sat Nav and use Mapsource like sensible people!

John

Hi Dave. Ask your friend to save the file as a GPX file in Tyre. I'm pretty sure he can do that. Then send you the file as GPX and it should go straight into your Garmin. RobA.

My friend had enough trouble sending me the route, I think converting it to something he doesn't use might be a step too far!

If you get a .gpx file from your friend load it into Mapsource (Basecamp if you must) and make a copy before re calculating the route. If a route has been made in Tyre it will have used a different map and the recalculating process will show up any errors caused by the difference. You can then adjust the route to match your friends intentions.

Or you can download Tyre and do it yourself. This make the comparison clear as you can compare the route on the two systems.

Often there will be very little difference but I have come across several areas where the two maps show different road layouts which could cause problems. Where I used to live in Austria the Tyre and TomTom maps had a local junction completely wrong and simply refused to route people from a local road onto a more important one as the required connection was not shown

Alternatively you could get your friend to ditch Tyre, get a decent Sat Nav and use Mapsource like sensible people!

John

Hi John

If I open the route in Tyre, do you know where I have to go to convert it? It's probably easy but I can't see it for looking:blast

Cheers
Dave

Hi John

If I open the route in Tyre, do you know where I have to go to convert it? It's probably easy but I can't see it for looking:blast

Cheers
Dave

From memory you open the route, best to re calculate it and then there is a save as box at the bottom, scroll down to find .gpx I don't have Tyre on here but I will have a look later on another machine

ohn

Looks like you can use "File"- "Save As" and then choose the Garmin exchange option from the drop down box

Good Luck

John

Looks like you can use "File"- "Save As" and then choose the Garmin exchange option from the drop down box

Good Luck

John

Thanks again John, easy when you know how!

This is good as my mate is doing the majority of the routes for the trip as he lives near Edinburgh :cool:

Back
Top Bottom