Mexico January 2017

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
All

I've been mulling over finding a winter riding destination without too much stress involved. Some of you will know that we tried to ship a container into Buenos Airies this January but due to all sorts of nefarious demands by customs, agents etc etc it became a nightmare and eventually just too difficult. I'm looking at other options to South America which are looking promising but that won't happen in time for this upcoming winter.

I've looked at Mexico a number of times and it seems ideal for a trip in January. Shipping in to Mexico is a big no-no for teh same reasons as South America so my plan is to ship into the USA and ride down. Having shipped 8 containers into the US, I've got the thing sorted and we have no problems. The weather in the region in January/February is ideal for riding with temps in low to mid 20's C.

So here is the rough plan for this 4 week trip:

• Ship into Santa Rosa California
  • Run down the PCH to San Diego
  • Cross the border and run down to the Baja Peninsula
  • Run across to Copper Canyon
  • Run down through Mexico and avoid Mexico City
  • Loop round the south and back up the East Coast via lots of Inca style monuments
  • Cross back into the US in Texas and up through New Mexico and Arizona back into California.

That's a loose overview of the trip and I'm working on greater detail so no doubt it will change between now and then. The mileage would be around 7500 miles.

Most roads are really good but there will some dirt on there but the route will be for GS's on so there should be no nasty surprises. I also would like to make it a mix of motels and camping.

There are no carnets or anything specific needed for Mexico so it's an easy place to get in and out of and according to some US friends, a great place to ride.

I would need 8/10 people to make this worthwhile to get a container out there so please let me know if you are interested.

How long are you thinking and rough price for shipping?

Total trip will be 4 weeks and shipping around the £2k mark all in depending on the amount of bikes.

With all my trips, you can cut it short by a week or so if you can't get the whole time off.

Mexico 2017?

Hi Chris

Im interested in this trip but will depend on actual dates
can you send me details when you get closer to finalising them please

:beerjug:

Andy

All

I've been mulling over finding a winter riding destination without too much stress involved. Some of you will know that we tried to ship a container into Buenos Airies this January but due to all sorts of nefarious demands by customs, agents etc etc it became a nightmare and eventually just too difficult. I'm looking at other options to South America which are looking promising but that won't happen in time for this upcoming winter.

I've looked at Mexico a number of times and it seems ideal for a trip in January. Shipping in to Mexico is a big no-no for teh same reasons as South America so my plan is to ship into the USA and ride down. Having shipped 8 containers into the US, I've got the thing sorted and we have no problems. The weather in the region in January/February is ideal for riding with temps in low to mid 20's C.

So here is the rough plan for this 4 week trip:

• Ship into Santa Rosa California
  • Run down the PCH to San Diego
  • Cross the border and run down to the Baja Peninsula
  • Run across to Copper Canyon
  • Run down through Mexico and avoid Mexico City
  • Loop round the south and back up the East Coast via lots of Inca style monuments
  • Cross back into the US in Texas and up through New Mexico and Arizona back into California.

That's a loose overview of the trip and I'm working on greater detail so no doubt it will change between now and then. The mileage would be around 7500 miles.

Most roads are really good but there will some dirt on there but the route will be for GS's on so there should be no nasty surprises. I also would like to make it a mix of motels and camping.

There are no carnets or anything specific needed for Mexico so it's an easy place to get in and out of and according to some US friends, a great place to ride.

I would need 8/10 people to make this worthwhile to get a container out there so please let me know if you are interested.

Oh oh, deja vous Chris ..... having not long done (with Gary) the South America Winter 2016 trip you conceived (it was excellent - I really should post a trip report) i'm a little hesitant in signing up for this one!:D But, it coincides nicely with a gap in contracts, so what dates are you planning on going? I'm in - as long as we don't leave until after 13 Jan 17?!

Bazzer :beerjug:

Oh oh, deja vous Chris ..... having not long done (with Gary) the South America Winter 2016 trip you conceived (it was excellent - I really should post a trip report) i'm a little hesitant in signing up for this one!:D But, it coincides nicely with a gap in contracts, so what dates are you planning on going? I'm in - as long as we don't leave until after 13 Jan 17?!

Bazzer :beerjug:

Hi mate, not sure yet as I've been really busy on other stuff. I'll give it another once over.

Strangely enough, the SA shipping looks like it's now do-able but not through BA. I'm still mentally scarred from that.....!!

Hi mate, not sure yet as I've been really busy on other stuff. I'll give it another once over.

Strangely enough, the SA shipping looks like it's now do-able but not through BA. I'm still mentally scarred from that.....!!

Collection from BA (EXE) Air Cargo was OK, Sandra and Javier looked after us but we had trouble getting our hands on enough US $ to pay in cash for the outward air freighting - so Roddy at MotoFreight put us in touch with Wave Logistics in Montevideo so we ended up shipping our bikes out of Uruguay - it was very simple and Olivier, the gaffer at Wave, couldn't do enough for us!

I'd love to join you, but that just isn't going to happen this time.

Hopefully Bazzer 66 will give you a full update and show you some photo's of what you missed by not doing South America. (it really was a bloody good trip)

Very best of luck with this trip. If you do make it pick Mark's brain's he now knows quite a lot. Just not how to ride in deep sand :comfort

And just make sure everyone takes their original V5's :augie

Back
Top Bottom