Corrosion : yes or no ?

Any tips? MY 65 plate has bubbles on the cylinder head, it's like the paint is bubbling, some corrosion on the bolts ect,

Thing is do I try for a new engine? Bike is 9 months old 4.5k

I also have a 09 GSA and in my opinion it's in better nick! My LC is in a proper mess? Washed after every winter ride and caked in FS 365! Think BMW have got it wrong!

Not a thread hi jack as mine is also a boxer engine, 2014 RT LC silver engine, engine where it meets the cylinder heads bubbled on both sides also at coolant inspection hole, swing arm and final drive. Replaced with a 2015 bike, never ridden in winter, completed 5500 ACF 50'd from new seen rain only once and engine is bubbling. Also looked at my mates bike the other day, his engine is going as well. It seems there is no surface prep of the engine material, silver paint just goes straight on. Clean you bike, take some photos and no doubt another new engine to the thread. Waiting for my new engine to arrive from Germany at present. Extended warranty through BMW does not cover corrosion. Only thing you can do is pay something towards cost of replacement (I have left my engine bars on which they will need to remove and refit) by paying something you get the 2 year warranty ( according to the dealer) if I do keep the bike for as long as my last non lc RT (8 years) could be a few engines....

Last edited:
Yes, brought the bike late last year when it was 18months old and had done 3200miles. I noticed some corrosion and pointed it out, the result being a completely new bottom end. New engine (with heavier crank), wheels, shaft and a new gearbox too.

Noticed it on mine this weekend on the lefthand side where the cylinder meets the engine block. Small white spots along the seam. Gs TE 14 plate 20k used all year round and washed after every ride and coated in FS365 :(

Going to take it up with dealer as just out of warranty, you never know.

Yes 2013 te one of the first bikes round the water pump hole and cylinder head not happy as apart from a 5000 mile trip about a month ago would only have had 14000 miles on

I've just had my 2015 GSA into BMW this afternoon. Corrosion on engine casing, manifold, exhaust and final drive.

Bike is washed regularly and coated with ACF50 too!

Will wait and see what BMW respond with.

My main query was will the replacement parts come with the same shitty quality as the ones they're replacing? I've seen many threads on here with folk saying they've had more than one engine repacement etc. That's no use. Surely BMW should recognise there is a wider issue and they need to step up their game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, but with the RT LC they now sell them solely to the ukmarket with a black engine, unless the engine prep method has changed or the paint formula I suspect it will be pot luck. My RT LC was purchased new in 2015 NEVER used in winter (I have an R1100RS SE for that) Never ridden in wet (just lucky) and it still went despite being applied with ACF 50 from new on the whole bike and Bilthamber Dynax UC on the engine, swing arm and final drive. Apart from keeping it in a glass case I don't think I could have done any more preventatively. Surely you buy a motorcycle to be able to ride it and ride it when you want, no doubt someone will chip in about voting with your wallet and going elsewhere, but the new generation of liquid cooled boxers are superb bikes. I have a friend with a Honley (Chinese style GS) 35,000 miles 2 winters only using WD40 on it and looks in fantastic condition....
The Chinese supposedly don't make decent bikes or items that can compare with items manufactured in Europe so what has gone on here, the Honley was only about £4500!

corrosion setting in on front right brake disc .... anyone else getting same ?

Yeah I've had this and had them warp also. Replaced under warranty. New ones are going the same way. Utter shite.

I've just had my 2015 GSA into BMW this afternoon. Corrosion on engine casing, manifold, exhaust and final drive.

My main query was will the replacement parts come with the same shitty quality as the ones they're replacing? I've seen many threads on here with folk saying they've had more than one engine repacement etc. That's no use. Surely BMW should recognise there is a wider issue and they need to step up their game.

Hey up fella. Just wondered, in reading your post, who does your ACF-50 application for you?

I'm interested because I work for Mark Hooton at Cymarc Bike Parts (who is very well known on this forum), and we do ACF-50 applications and have a lot of experience with the stuff, and we know that once that stuff is applied correctly, with the proper equipment, there is very little chance of any corrosive elements getting through it. The Aerospace industry and even the Military use ACF-50, that's how it was developed.
There is literally no better anti-corrosion treatment available anywhere.

I suspect that maybe whoever has been doing your applications, doesn't have the proper equipment and/or hasn't been doing a thorough enough job for parts of your bike to still be corroding, even more so since the bike is only one year old.

Regards,
Mike.

Hey up fella. Just wondered, in reading your post, who does your ACF-50 application for you?

I'm interested because I work for Mark Hooton at Cymarc Bike Parts (who is very well known on this forum), and we do ACF-50 applications and have a lot of experience with the stuff, and we know that once that stuff is applied correctly, with the proper equipment, there is very little chance of any corrosive elements getting through it. The Aerospace industry and even the Military use ACF-50, that's how it was developed.
There is literally no better anti-corrosion treatment available anywhere.

I suspect that maybe whoever has been doing your applications, doesn't have the proper equipment and/or hasn't been doing a thorough enough job for parts of your bike to still be corroding, even more so since the bike is only one year old.

Regards,
Mike.

All year biker based in Earls Barton did my new bike whilst it was at Wollastons having been PDI'd, I don't think it is down to the ACF 50 but the engine, swing arm and final drive material not being primed or prepped prior to the application of silver paint. I had a 2006 R1200RT which I used for 8 winters with ACF 50. The only thing to corrode was the footrests which are common problems. I don't think it is the fault of ACF 50 just the build quality.

The problem is that a lot of people put ACF50 on their bikes, then leave it until the summer to give the bike a proper clean, not realising that it's been washed off in places over the winter. A dealer I spoke to once mentioned that the bikes with the worst corrosion are the ones that have been ACF'd, for this very reason. It needs to be topped up, over the winter.:rob

The problem is that a lot of people put ACF50 on their bikes, then leave it until the summer to give the bike a proper clean, not realising that it's been washed off in places over the winter. A dealer I spoke to once mentioned that the bikes with the worst corrosion are the ones that have been ACF'd, for this very reason. It needs to be topped up, over the winter.:rob

I wouldn't trust that it had got into every crevice, so would defintely wash and top up regularly. I prefer regular washing and FS365 which has to be replaced after each wash.

Considering my replacement engine has covered 1500 dry miles and the dreaded white flecks have reappeared, the quality doesn't seem to have improved :rolleyes:

I wouldn't trust that it had got into every crevice, so would defintely wash and top up regularly. I prefer regular washing and FS365 which has to be replaced after each wash.

I've used FS365 if the roads are gritted, then wash the bike and reapply next time I go out in the salt.:thumb

Considering my replacement engine has covered 1500 dry miles and the dreaded white flecks have reappeared, the quality doesn't seem to have improved :rolleyes:

Silver or black engine?

I'm surprised that MCN or Ride magazine have not picked up on this, perhaps if there is something in print about it BMW may start to listen and improve the product.

I'm surprised that MCN or Ride magazine have not picked up on this, perhaps if there is something in print about it BMW may start to listen and improve the product.

I thought BMW only supply the GS with the black engines now, as the silver ones were the ones with the issues. So BMW are doing something about it.;)

Back
Top Bottom