Corrosion : yes or no ?

First time i saw a WC was at the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth just after they were first released. Even the brand new model on display had corrosion on bolts. I suspect a combination of tree hugging legislation on paint products and cost cutting.

So I posted a pic of corrosion on my braided hose lines and was told to check out the 'corrosion threads' on here.....is that what they meant?? (please ignore the crud all around the bubbling....used every day, covered in ACF and every other day gets a good dose of dubs)

Off to dealership in morning to show them the brake line...I assume this needs pointing out to them too? Bike bought at 6 months ago with 260 miles on it...belonged to one of BM's directors, so only just clocked 4000.

Attachments

• IMG_4893.jpg
    IMG_4893.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 404
Yep, that'll be a new engine as well.

I thought BMW only supply the GS with the black engines now, as the silver ones were the ones with the issues. So BMW are doing something about it.;)

Whilst they have changed the engine colour, my local dealer has replaced a number of black engines. It's not the paint but the lack of preparation of the metal, they paint the component parts first then machine the edges leaving untreated areas in which water/moisture can creep causing the magnesium in the alloy to react.

No, I don't know of All year biker. I would like to assume that they will have done a thorough enough job on your bike though. It seems very strange that a manufacturer such as BMW will have corrosion issues on a one year old bike though.
But we at Cymarc know, what all other bike shops should also know, that unless any anti corrosion treatment (not just ACF-50) is applied properly and under pressure through a suitable pressurized applicator (so it does thoroughly reach every single crevice on the bike) then you may as well not bother applying it at all as it won't work unless every possible surface was thoroughly cleaned and dried and given a thorough enough coating of product.

Which is why I asked who did your application for you, because a lot of places will do a shoddy job, not thoroughly clean and pressure dry the bike beforehand, take half the time and use half the amount of product, and charge the full rate for the work. Which leads to innocent customers such as yourself, paying good money for an ACF-50 treatment under the belief that it does what it says on the bottle, but any time later the bike still develops corrosion after treatment.
People are left doubting the ACF-50 product as a result.

I can assure you, and everyone else, that if a thorough job is done, with the appropriate amount of time spent, using the correct equipment with the right amount of product, and done by someone who really does know what they're doing and even takes the extra time to visually check around every location on the bike after treatment with a powerful LED torch to check if anywhere has unlikely and inadvertently been missed and reapply if necessary, before the customer leaves the premises - then there is literally no better anti-corrosion treatment in the world than ACF-50.

It just has to be applied properly and thoroughly for it to work.

Mike.

Scunthorpes a bit far for me to travel once my replacement engine is fitted, I do need to run it in though. As for all year biker, have a look at their website.

Scunthorpes a bit far for me to travel once my replacement engine is fitted, I do need to run it in though. As for all year biker, have a look at their website.

Nah, Milton Keynes is just down the road, fella :D

No, all joking aside, I'm not taking anything away from any other garage or shop, but it's just been our experience that a high number of other places, in an effort to cut costs (because ACF-50 is hellishly expensive), corners are very often cut as well, and quite often is the case that the shop doesn't realize how much is involved in a thorough treatment and very easily miss things, and as I said earlier, it leads to the treatment failing and the bikes developing corrosion.

When you've got your bike done, come up and see us, fella. My boss, Mark Hooton, will very happily discuss a full ACF-50 treatment with you :thumb2

Mike.

And yeah

And yeah, geezers, if you want an anal (we do bikes too) application of ACF50 to include washing, drying and ACF50 oil heated up to siege temperatures then who ya gonna call?

best be us........:D

Another here just had a new engine approved by BMW.
16000 miles, 18 months old, always washed, polished and pampered. ACF in the winter months, though little salt riding anyway.

I'm the second owner of a late 2013 GS with 13k miles. Corrosion around the gear shift shaft hole and between cylinders/crankcase. I've done the ACF treatment recently. How would you rate my chances of a replacement engine?

Clean the bike and it take it to the dealer, it is only 3 years old and as you will see from the threads on here it is a common problem. A bit like owning a 1970's Toyota......

Just wondering how long BMW takes to approve the warranty claim for an engine?

Reported my engine a few weeks ago, not heard back and due for the 6k service soon? Don't see the point in paying for a service if they might change the engine!

Just wondering how long BMW takes to approve the warranty claim for an engine?

Reported my engine a few weeks ago, not heard back and due for the 6k service soon? Don't see the point in paying for a service if they might change the engine!

It took about a week for me, although the photos were taken at the 12k service :blast

Back
Top Bottom