Corrosion : yes or no ?

I understand the problems I face. However whilst it was a used purchase it was originally a bmw owned bike and is only 12 months and still covered by manufacturers warranty.
I also don’t consider it only a “cosmetic” issue. The engine is a visible finish and part of the bike. If it was a car and the paint started corroding on the surface it wouldn’t be acceptable
I look after my bikes very well. Wash them after every ride with Autoglym and mit. No power washes or chemical cleaners.Shouldn't have to expect to use ACF to stop paint corrosion
If I manage to get a full refund (rather than an engine) I won’t be buying another BMW until they sort their paint quality issues.....I think it will be a HONDA CRF 1100 Africa Twin
When they do ever get back to work and dealing with it I will,let you know how I get on

Sounds more like you fancy a change and this is a no cost option to do so if it comes off for you. Hondas corrode as well!

Its not just paint work that's poor. I got a new 1250 GS in March 2019 and to had to be recovered in Austria in May 2019 due to a potential sensor fault. Its had many other little niggles since and tomorrow its going as PX for a Honda. I'm finished with BMW as they are just getting worse.Time for a change to something hopefully better built and reliable.

PS I also think that the dealers work very hard and do a good job of looking after customers, but you can't polish a turd.

My 2018 GSA also has corrosion on the RH cylinder and the final drive & swing arm.

It’s bubbling up from underneath with no scratches or marks.

All of the brake banjos have gone as well, as has the final drive filler.

Booked into Rietens in a couple of weeks, I did send photos in lockdown for them, mine is two in a few months and has 11500 miles, it had the extra 3 years warranty.

I’m a renter so if they don’t fix it, I’ll give it back at the end and move to another brand.

To my eye that looks like neglect, especially the inner of the rear wheel axel. Things like brake banjos will come from an outside supplier so if so many different parts are corroding it all points to lack of care. I have a 2001 1150GS & 2012 1200GSA neither have any corrosion & I don’t wrap them in cotton wool, both ridden in all weathers but rinsed off and washed regularly. Little bit of WD40 & ACF50 sorted.

Lack of care? How much care do these new bikes need?
It's fairly well documented that the newer bikes are built to a very poor standard; lots of failures, corrosion, etc. Some owners are very defensive and say, "Claim on the warranty".... That's fine if you believe a bike should only last three years, or you take the £8k hit to change every three years.

I'd really like to be able to buy a new bike that will last the distance...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

To my eye that looks like neglect, especially the inner of the rear wheel axel. Things like brake banjos will come from an outside supplier so if so many different parts are corroding it all points to lack of care. I have a 2001 1150GS & 2012 1200GSA neither have any corrosion & I don’t wrap them in cotton wool, both ridden in all weathers but rinsed off and washed regularly. Little bit of WD40 & ACF50 sorted.

To My eye that looks like normal BMW "quality", my last 2 GS's dosed in ACF50 and never ridden in winter had similar issues if you look super close. I raised with dealer in Oxford and was advised "they all are like that - make sure you keep up with the ACF50".

2015 R1200GSA LC 20,000 miles not a spot of corrosion anywhere. ACF 50 and regular use of Scotoiler FS365. Used everyday through winter unless ridiculously icy!

Neglect eh?
Unfuickung believable!
Spoken like a true keyboard warrior.
Bike is hand washed and dried using the poncy stuff they supply and that’s neglect.

And that is why boys and girls BMW get away with it.:D

While there are people with plenty of Wonga to keep changing....

BMW do not want the bike to last, every 1150 on the road is a stolen sale from a 1250!

Back
Top Bottom