Invictus Games and Heroes On the Water

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I don't know how many of you have been watching the Invictus games each evening, but one of the first guys to come to Heroes On the Water, Luke Sinnott, was undergoing rehab and the early sessions were his part of his therapy towards his recovery.

Well, he won silver in the 800m yesterday and got GOLD today in the 400m.

I took a new fellow out on Saturday, kev, from Lancashire. We had a few tentative takes but more importantly, he is buzzing and it has reinvigorated his life. He has very little money, so the sessions are going to be like a foreign holiday to him. Stress levels, reason for being and self esteem are all regained. To the point he wants to work towards becoming a qualified session leader. He is already a qualified kayak coach, from his army days. He had NEVER fished before though, so I spent an hour or so with him getting him going with the fundamentals of setting up a rod, tying knots (he tied his own, after I showed him - and he is away practising before next time!) Then I showed him how to cast...and he practised hard. By the afternoon he was landing lures close under the trees like an old stager.

You'll remember Andrew from his carp on a lure in October.

He has suffered a few setbacks since then, but was sp glad to come out. He also had a few tentative takes but they were only small jacks and few stuck. It didn't matter, he went away much revivied and ready to take on what the world is throwing at him. Progress is being made.

Neil Whitehead RE came along (in case you don't know, Neil is a fellow trustee working towards being able to lead sessions oop norf) and he looked after Andrew while I got Kev up to speed.

Thanks for all your hard work and support in all capacities. here are some positives you can take from your input. FEEL PROUD.

You will see some of the new guys and girl at the Plymouth competition, we look forward to seeing you there and I think a few of the previous groups are planning on making a team up too.

Once again, from us all at Heroes On the Water. THANK YOU. You are making a massive difference.

RESPECT
I can't even begin to think how rewarding you find the work you do with our service personnel who are recovering from their life changing injuries :clap:clap:clap

Norrie

Do you do any scuba sessions ?

Do you do any scuba sessions ?

No Joe, diving is not part of the programme, which has been found to be immensly beneficial. It was discovered totally by accident, in the USA. Here in the UK we provide a regular programme that works towards a recognised, National qualification that puts the candidates at the foundation level for the coaching ladder themselves. We succeeded in getting the very first candidate on the course through to level 3 in the country, out of all the National candidiates. Last year I got three veterans through to level 3 and one to level 2.

We have to continue to focus on what we knw and are geared up for.

Help 4 Heroes at the hubs have all sorts of activities and facilities. Sailing, diving, gig rowing (a couple of my guys also go gig rowing), cycling, skiing - there are loads of activities. But ours is a progressive pathway, and that is one reason why it is so progressive.

No Joe, diving is not part of the programme, which has been found to be immensly beneficial. It was discovered totally by accident, in the USA. Here in the UK we provide a regular programme that works towards a recognised, National qualification that puts the candidates at the foundation level for the coaching ladder themselves. We succeeded in getting the very first candidate on the course through to level 3 in the country, out of all the National candidiates. Last year I got three veterans through to level 3 and one to level 2.

We have to continue to focus on what we knw and are geared up for.

Help 4 Heroes at the hubs have all sorts of activities and facilities. Sailing, diving, gig rowing (a couple of my guys also go gig rowing), cycling, skiing - there are loads of activities. But ours is a progressive pathway, and that is one reason why it is so progressive.

Thanks. I have some kit left from when I had a dive school. Gave a lot to ex-military therapy charities but recently found some more bits and pieces.

I may have a few shore rescue throw ropes- would they be of use?

Thanks. I have some kit left from when I had a dive school. Gave a lot to ex-military therapy charities but recently found some more bits and pieces.

I may have a few shore rescue throw ropes- would they be of use?

Sorry Joe, only just seen your reply....at the moment I think others may be able to make better use of them. I do use kayak to kayak tow ropes, at least I always have one with me - and any other volunteer helper will be supplied with one if they don't have their own. To date, we haven't had to use one though.
Thanks very much for your generous offer though.

A couple of quotes from new guys to our program.

Andy is a former Green Howard, did a full term and then became a paramedic in Oxfordshire - he alerted me to the number of ambulance staff they lose to PTSD and is helping to get the charity more involved with the non military services, who if they admit there is a problem, have to do something about it. So it is easier for the powers that be to deny they have the situation at all.

Andy says, after his first day of the program (it is not just a day of respite, it is a program that has been proven effective to produce remarkable results) (Bold is the lads' own words)

I would like to say a huge thank you to HOW for the loan of the kayak and especially to Simon who arranged it and also arranged the day out.

I have not felt such peace in a long time like I felt today out on the water instead of just standing on the bank. You really do forget all your issues and problems. To the point last night was one of the best nights sleep I have had in a long time. No nightmares nothing just a sound sleep.

So wants again thank you for showing me such peace Simon Everett. Didn't think I could find it again.

If you are a fisherman or a kayaker then please support this charity. The work they do is invaluable.

Kev, another new member who was medically discharged with no ankles. He has to wear calipers to keep him upright. Kev is taking an active part in fund raising too - he is currently in training for a paddle around the coast of Cornwall - the whole of it. Starting under the Tamar Bridge (Plymouth side) 08.30 on 26th August - paddling round to Bude in company with a serving RN ATI, where they jump on bicycles and paddle back to the tidal limit of the Tamar and get back in the kayaks to paddle their way down the Tamar back to the start. he says:

Its not easy living with PTSD but I have just spent a fantastic 5 days away and had the best time for at least the last 5 years. In fantastic company it was a laugh a minute and on the water it was "a fish a chuck" at times. It felt great to find myself calm, relaxed and laughing making it actually possible to switch the stanby button to the off mode, even if it was only for the duration of the trip. I look forward to future involvement with this amazing charity where I can experience the total freedom of the water with a sence of belonging and friendship. A massive thank you again to all involved in the trip to the Isle Of Man. From the voulenteers and staff on the beach and the Manx people to the trustees and coaches of HOW, I felt truly welcomed and supported with great friendships being made.
I appreciate the knowledge i am gaining and the effort being freely input to give me something to look forward to in the future.
"FISH OOONNN"

Kev.

You can find out more about Kev's effort and support it here:
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fun...draiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=KevinGray11

Back
Top Bottom