Route plotting help please!!

Yodagoat

Reaction score
I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to GPS stuff. I'm trying to plan a route from Breitnau in Germany to Livigno in Italy avoiding Swiss motorways (and any other roads that I'd need a Swiss vignette for)
Can anyone help me with this? My GPS is a Zumo 550.

Cheers

Mike

Fair enough, if you go into the preferences and avoidances (on your unit) just click on 'toll-roads', wouldn't that do it?

Can't help you with your gps, but head for Innsbruck then the Timmelsjoch pass then towards the Stelvio pass then to Bormio towards Livigno, it's only really a bind around the Bolzano area other than that it's all great roads. Although looking at the map it's not direct if that's what you want, but be warned, getting through Switzerland going south not using there motorways is fucking hellish and you may regret it.

ticking the no tolls road in google maps adds 2 hours to the travel time - 6.5 hours. That's optimistic looking at the routing options - either through Konstanz or Zurich. Take your pick. If it was me, I'd stump up the 40CHF or whatever it is now and use the motorway to get from the Rhine crossing at Waldshutt to south of Zurich.

It looks like you can still go through plenty of Switzerland without having to use the motorways but I take in mind what Cabby is saying. I might go round Konstanz and in through Austria. A six hour run in fine. I can break it up with lunch breaks and the scenery looks nice.

I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to GPS stuff. I'm trying to plan a route from Breitnau in Germany to Livigno in Italy avoiding Swiss motorways (and any other roads that I'd need a Swiss vignette for)
Can anyone help me with this? My GPS is a Zumo 550.

Cheers

Mike

Here's a file with routes that I've used to Livigno via Switzerland without using any Swiss motorway (so no need for a vignette) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11447342/Livigno to share.gpx .

I travelled via Vianden in Luxembourg, then down through the Black Forest (B500) and across Switzerland. The route back goes through France with a 1 night stop in Switzerland. There's a bit of slower riding on the way out through Switzerland but the way back is a cracker. BTW, don't forget that any route via the Munt La Schera tunnel into Livigno is a toll (expensive at €12) and because it is one-way you can be waiting there for 15-20 minutes.

After you have sampled the toll booths in Italy you might feel differently about the swiss vignette system

Pablo, I've been over a few times, I don't mind the tolls, they weren't too bad.

Sleepy, Mapsource I think.

Tomcat, CHEERS!!!
Thats what I need. I'm doing a similar rout. Vianden then Black Forest with friends before heading over to Livigno.

Cheers folks.

Mike

TOLLS OR NO TOLLS

Just did two routes from Breitnau to Livigno
No Avoidances, fastest route was 195 miles 3hrs 40 mins

Avoid tolls, 370miles, 6hrs 40 mins
LIVIGNO TOLLS.JPGLIVIGNO NO TOLLS.JPG

:augie:augie:augie:augie

Pablo, you sure that's not 370km? Google maps is saying the most direct route is 343km and 4 and a half hours. Or I can go round Konstanz and through Lichtenstein and into Switzerland for a short bit to Davos then along. Thats coming in at around 350km and 5 hours.

I don't need to avoid tolls completely, just the Swiss motorway. I'd rather not spend too long in Switzerland on this trip due to budget too. I'd follow the route you put up then carry on down through Lichtenstein.

I don't need to avoid tolls completely, just the Swiss motorway. I'd rather not spend too long in Switzerland on this trip due to budget too. I'd follow the route you put up then carry on down through Lichtenstein.
enjoy your trip, i'm off on monday and wont be far away from you

Back
Top Bottom