New to GPS, with a trip imminent. Gulp!

How about the bit he capitalised?

Just a guess mind.

As the bod's questions revolve around Mapsource, the three stickies here

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/278-Mapsource-Software-amp-Maps-Questions-and-Tips

might well help.

No need to guess; it was,I think, clear from the OP's reply. I would rather have clarification than a guess. Was the OP not able to highlight the route? Maybe he could not drag and drop? As we have yet to hear back should we guess?

John

Sorry, missed your reply. I can't grab and drag a route in Mapsource. I have to make waypoints and use those.
I assume you mean like you can in Google maps (?)

How are you trying to do it in Mapsource, exactly step-by-step

Can you highlight the route, for starters. By highlight the route, I mean make it stand out in bold magenta against the background map.

This basic video (and others similar) will get you started. If nothing else it shows you what a highlighted magenta route looks like.

There are lots of quite good help videos on the net, which are a lot easier to follow than a load of words here. Google something like:

Creating custom routes in BaseCamp

Creating routes in BaseCamp

Amending routes in BaseCamp

Changing routes in basecamp

Sorry, missed your reply. I can't grab and drag a route in Mapsource. I have to make waypoints and use those.
I assume you mean like you can in Google maps (?)

Open Mapsource, use the selection tool (pointer arrow) from the top menu. This assumes you have all these visible, if not go to "View" and select "show all toolbars"

If you left click once on a route it should then be highlighted, left click again and you should be able to drag a line around on the map. Wherever you drop it it will create a point. If it is directly on the road it will be a via point if it is off from the road it will be a waypoint.

Play with it, you can use the undo function if it all goes pear shaped. It really pays to zoom in and check that all your points are in the correct place. You can use the same method to move any that might be wrong.

John

Open Mapsource, use the selection tool (pointer arrow) from the top menu. This assumes you have all these visible, if not go to "View" and select "show all toolbars"

If you left click once on a route it should then be highlighted, left click again and you should be able to drag a line around on the map. Wherever you drop it it will create a point. If it is directly on the road it will be a via point if it is off from the road it will be a waypoint.

Play with it, you can use the undo function if it all goes pear shaped. It really pays to zoom in and check that all your points are in the correct place. You can use the same method to move any that might be wrong.

John

Thanks John.
Bit in bold. It highlights fine. But when I left click again and drag a box it just disappears when I release the mouse and no point is created.
Strange. I have messing/planning with the prog for years, I have never been able to drag a route. I have always right clicked to create point and then inserted it into the right place in the route properties window.
Maybe re-install? Dunnow.
Alan

Thanks John.
Bit in bold. It highlights fine. But when I left click again and drag a box it just disappears when I release the mouse and no point is created.
Strange. I have messing/planning with the prog for years, I have never been able to drag a route. I have always right clicked to create point and then inserted it into the right place in the route properties window.
Maybe re-install? Dunnow.
Alan

The problem is the box, I have been trying, looks like you get a box if you hold the left button down. One single click to highlight the route then just a single click, don't hold it down, and you should get the right tool. Simply move the mouse until you get to where you want the route to go, click once and your via point is created.

John

The problem is the box, I have been trying, looks like you get a box if you hold the left button down. One single click to highlight the route then just a single click, don't hold it down, and you should get the right tool. Simply move the mouse until you get to where you want the route to go, click once and your via point is created.

John

Fantastic. It works!!!!
What a blooming star! :clap
Alan

Fantastic. It works!!!!
What a blooming star! :clap
Alan

I've been called worse! glad to help. It did take me a while to figure out what was going on for you. Problem is if you do something a lot you stop thinking about how you do it. Now get plotting routes, select those points that become waypoints carefully as the device will always try to take you there. Via points will direct you along the route but if you miss one the device should just take you on to the next whereas a waypoint causes it to recalculate back until you go there. As I said earlier zoom in and check the position of all points, it is really easy to pick the wrong side of a dual carriageway! I usually do it after I have finished adding points, it's very easy to move them and the time taken is repaid many times over out on the road.

John

Back
Top Bottom