ESA Problems 2015 R1200RS

PeterB4407

Reaction score
I've got an annoying problem with the ESA on my RS and I wondered if anyone on here might have been through the same thing?

The bike is great, I'm really pleased with it, great engine, handles really well and it suits my riding style. It's even comfortable on some of the more gnarly unclassified roads.

I've had the ESA warning triangle and symbol come up many times on turning the ignition on. Toggling the ignition resets it every time although it may take 2 or 3 goes to do this. The light/symbol has never come on while riding, which is just as well as ESA (damping not pre-load) failure results in the return springs closing the damping down and effectively locking the units up resulting in a very harsh ride.

The engine modes and damping modes aren't linked on the RS like they are on the GS, you simply get either ROAD or DYNAMIC damping and the engine modes are RAIN/ROAD/DYNAMIC/USER with the corresponding DTC settings. ESA also allows 3 levels of pre-load.

Another 'fault' that I think is entirely related is the failure of the ESA Damping to change mode with just the ignition on. The engine shouldn't need to be running to adjust damping (pre-load yes) but on my bike it does need the engine running which isn't normal.

My theory is that the ESA mechanism is too stiff and that it is drawing too much current hence not changing mode on the battery. When turning the ignition on the ESA damping has to reset itself every time as it shuts down under the tension of an internal spring. I think it's the struggle to reset on startup that is causing my error code.

The bike has been into the dealers twice and they have re-booted the various systems and re-calibrated them but the fault persists. BMW UK say it's unlikely to be the shock and that perhaps I should live with it :eek:

Lloyds in Carlisle have been good and they are sending a technical query off to BMW Germany.

Has anyone had something similar :nenau

Peter

I have the "R" version of your bike, thankfully I have no suspension problems.
As to you just living with it, that's beyond a joke and BMW UK should be ashamed of themselves for suggesting so.
Please keep this thread updated so we know your progress, it may also prove helpful in the future should this problem become more widespread.

cheers and good luck

Tony

I know that this is old but an update is still worthwhile. Initially the controller was replaced - no change. Then the unit failed completely and was replaced under warranty.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I know that this is old but an update is still worthwhile. Initially the controller was replaced - no change. Then the unit failed completely and was replaced under warranty.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

yes? and did this fix the issue??

Back
Top Bottom