The North West Gathering September 2016

Plenty places close at hand to try for a sea trout, Ardmair Bay is a good place to try, possibly for bass too.

M

I had follow after follow fishing off the shingle of Ardmair beach.
Sea Trout slashing from side to side behind my fly or lure until they catch sight of me & bugger off.
Plenty of consolation Mackeral, and nothing better than a couple of fresh fillets for breakfast.

Rhue lighthouse (between Ullapool & Ardmair) produced some great fly sport - mainly Pollock.

Hi Boatman sorry for the delay in replying, yes fishing in the salt is free as geraddwatts affirms. There is more sea trout action in Ardmair bay than in L Broom, as previously mentioned try Rhue Light house rocks too.

M

Hi Boatman sorry for the delay in replying, yes fishing in the salt is free as geraddwatts affirms. There is more sea trout action in Ardmair bay than in L Broom, as previously mentioned try Rhue Light house rocks too.

M
Maybe you could give me a wee pointer about the bit a Ardmair bay , is that the one north of Ullapool with the unusual flat stone bottom ?

Haven't fished since I was a nipper but always fancied it.
I bought a little spinning rod that would fit on the bike and tackle a while ago but have never got round to it.
If I bring it will some fecker show me how to use it ?

I have one of the wee telescopic ones ( believe it actually came from the hardware store in Ullapool) carry it in a bit of 40 MM black tape covered domestic drain pipe cable tied onto the crash bar , it's not a serious fishing pole but it is ok to get an odd trout when wild camping:thumb2

Boatman, yes Ardmair bay is the first bay north of Ullapool, right at the side of the road. I've know of sea trout being taken off the beach spinning and off the rocks too, some use a fly off the rocks.

M

Spinning? Telescopic rods? Fishing poles?

Heathens....have you no class? Have you not heard of Hardy Smuggler fly rods that fit neatly on a BMW?

I see some education is needed.

It's looking quite likely that I will not be able to get there til sat PM, but its in the lap of the grouse....

I suppose a beachcaster is out of the question?:hide

Maybe you could give me a wee pointer about the bit a Ardmair bay , is that the one north of Ullapool with the unusual flat stone bottom ?

It's just over there mate, a little left of where you are looking!!:thumb

Attachments

• Symon at Crater.jpg
    Symon at Crater.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 256
N here's a wee pic of what I was looking at :thumb2 ,,couldn't see any trouts though :augie

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 352
The met office forecast for the end of next week features the "rain" word more than I would like.
But me gears waterproof, got me a porch tarp for the tent and pubs are usually rain proof.
I'm looking forward to a long ride north next Thursday... might go get a pie on Friday while I'm waiting for the rest of yers :)

how much and who are we paying (direct to site?) for the camping?
ta

I camped on a site in Ullapool quite close to the centre (I think it's the only one there) in June.
It was £8 per night for a bod his tent and a bike.

Back
Top Bottom