Zumo 550 power supply

2802th

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all
This must have been done before. I have wired in a Bmw power to usb connector using the headstock connection to supply my iPhone, this works fine. However I have now purchased, on here, a Zumo 550.

IF I were to use a double usb connector can I just cut an old usb cable and join it to my 550 cable??? If so which wires to what?

Sorry for appearing a bit simples:nenau

if using the garmin motorcycle mount for the 550 this is normally supplied with 12v from battery or switched feed via fused line. you will be getting 5v from the usb connector, will this work i dont know, you could try it, the 12volts is stepped down to 5v via the cradle when using the supplied lead. the other issue may be, the unit according to garmin will draw 15 watts max, this is a draw of about 1.25 amps will your usb adapter supply that.

With the Zumo 550 you'd be better investing in a Fuzeblok or PDM60 to provide a switched power supply. I originally had mine wired from the 12v feed on the head stock and had continual issues with the Zumo battery dying. The canbus supply does strange things that us mere non-electricery mortals don't understand, the result being that the Zumo would switch itself back on after the bike was turned off, then remain live until its' internal battery died! I fitted a Fuzeblok and had no more issues, also made simplicity of the feeds for the Autocom, auxiliary lights etc.

Back
Top Bottom