Insurance from Slovenia to Albania

masherbike

Reaction score
Hi,

My bike insurance does not cover me for all the countries I plan to visit in September. I'm riding to Albania. Can anyone advise what I need to do, upgrade add-ons etc?

16 euro for a month at the Albania border, can't help you with the ones inbetween as I was already covered. Worth double checking with ins. company, as mine had initially wrongly told me that I wasn't covered for Croatia/M'negro

Montenegro and Albania do seem to be excluded a fair bit. Would definitely check with your insurer- Slovenia I'm pretty sure should be covered as a European Country. As most probably Croatia.

At the Croatia/Montenegro border it was possible also to buy at the border, you were directed there if your insurance did not have cover.

Also, if you are heading via coast, there is a small section of Bosnia Herzegovina to travel through at Neum; It's only a few miles - also top tip is a cheap petrol fill up. That seems to be an acknowledged transit route back through to Croatia- but it isn't like that at other BiH crossings- I've only been stopped there for docs once in about ten times and they only wanted to see the V5.

As above. I'm with Carol Nash (Aviva) and am covered for Slovenia, Croatia and Serbia, a green card for 7 days to cover Bosnia & Montenegro was quoted at £85 !!! Having a laugh..
Buy at the border unless your insurer offers a better deal.
I'm heading down to Albania in early September and will buy insurance as I go, ADAC can provide breakdown cover for all of western mainland Europe if required.
Have a great trip.

Mike.

We have traveled through Montenegro and Albania, prior to the trip we found out that we could get comprehensive cover for non EU countries from NFU but the price for the motorhome was too much, might be ok for a bike though. We decided to buy third party cover at the borders and be careful. Watch out for poor roads in Albania, large potholes and expansion gaps on bridges.

As above. I'm with Carol Nash (Aviva) and am covered for Slovenia, Croatia and Serbia, a green card for 7 days to cover Bosnia & Montenegro was quoted at £85 !!! Having a laugh..
Buy at the border unless your insurer offers a better deal.
I'm heading down to Albania in early September and will buy insurance as I go, ADAC can provide breakdown cover for all of western mainland Europe if required.
Have a great trip.

Mike.
If you need assistance while in Albania, drop me an email.
GS rider living in Tirana,
who knows in case you need help with the bike or something else .

Sent from my HTC_M910x using Tapatalk

Is, my username @gmail.com
+355692095891, in case of emergency.

If you need assistance while in Albania, drop me an email.
GS rider living in Tirana,
who knows in case you need help with the bike or something else .

That's very kind of you, might just do that :D

I was almost put off after seeing the chaos of all the flooding as these were the parts of Bosnia & Serbia that I had intended to visit, I'm going to adjust my route to avoid the problem areas as there is likely to be a lot of damage in the form of washed out / blocked roads and problems with water & power supplies. I feel sorry for everyone affected :(
Maybe see you down there.

Mike :beerjug:

Enjoy your trip Andy.

Cheers,

Mike.

That's very kind of you, might just do that :D

I was almost put off after seeing the chaos of all the flooding as these were the parts of Bosnia & Serbia that I had intended to visit, I'm going to adjust my route to avoid the problem areas as there is likely to be a lot of damage in the form of washed out / blocked roads and problems with water & power supplies. I feel sorry for everyone affected :(
Maybe see you down there.

Mike :beerjug:
Well, here in Albania did not happen much of these, was more part of Macedonia actually.
But anyway, been a biker from 15 years now, i help and assist when i can.
Meanwhile, in case of bad weather we also have a covered secure garage😉
Have a lovely trip.
If you are after off roading and back tracks, let me know so i can send you some GPX files.
Search "Theth" if you want to see some mountains.

Well, here in Albania did not happen much of these, was more part of Macedonia actually.
But anyway, been a biker from 15 years now, i help and assist when i can.
Meanwhile, in case of bad weather we also have a covered secure garage😉
Have a lovely trip.
If you are after off roading and back tracks, let me know so i can send you some GPX files.
Search "Theth" if you want to see some mountains.

Oops!

Macedonia and parts of Bosnia have had flooding and so has eastern Germany..not Albania, that was an older online report with a recent date I read.
I'm going to be 2 up and carrying camping kit so unfortunately won't be able to do much off road but I have been looking, I would love to explore there with an enduro bike at some point!

Oops!

Macedonia and parts of Bosnia have had flooding and so has eastern Germany..not Albania, that was an older online report with a recent date I read.
I'm going to be 2 up and carrying camping kit so unfortunately won't be able to do much off road but I have been looking, I would love to explore there with an enduro bike at some point!
Ok than, two up will better be the coast road from Vlora to Saranda thru the mountain pass. Than there is a very good camping site on the Livadh beach near Himara, if i recall it right, is called Camping Kranea 40.107864,19.727387
Give it a try if you are after camping.

It's some years since I went, so things might have changed.
Getting accurate info from my insurance co at the time (Carole Nash) varied from 'you are covered in all the countries' fully comp to 'you can't travel in those countries with the bike'......
Internet searches proved just as variable as they do, don't get overly wrapped up as things will work out.

Slovenia, Croatia & Greece, no problem as we were covered.

Bosnia, we weren't offered it, I'm presuming we needed it.....

Montenegran border was 'interesting' to say the least! 3rd party insurance wasn't expensive as I recall & a lovely, varied country to visit.

Albania, we thought we'd get Insurance at the border, we paid 1 or 2 euro 'tax' each the waved on our way.
What a brilliant country to travel although some of the presumably ex communist tower block communities in the mountains had a bit of a hostile feel - the police accompanied us through one such community!
Some beautiful countryside with lots of old vs new infrastructure.
Leaving Albania the border demanded the insurance (which we didn't have....) thought we were in deep shit but thankfully we were let on our way....

To the Macedonian border where insurance was a fortune particularly as it was only a transit country for a day to get to Greece..... hey ho we had to pay as we didn't fancy going back to the Albanian checkpoint!

Obviously language is generally an issue but you muddle by as you do (or not!)

Have a great trip, I'd go again in a flash & the only regret is not spending more time in each country (we had accommodation pre booked in Parga, Greece)

Phil

Ok than, two up will better be the coast road from Vlora to Saranda thru the mountain pass. Than there is a very good camping site on the Livadh beach near Himara, if i recall it right, is called Camping Kranea 40.107864,19.727387
Give it a try if you are after camping.

Already have that one saved to the sat nav :D

This site has a good variety of camping sites right across Europe but it's always to have a bit of local knowledge.

https://en.camping.info/albania/campsites

All EU countries should now be covered on your policy, but check that they extend your full (Ie comprehensive cover), so Croatia, Slovenia, are OK. it's usually cheaper to get a green card from your insurer before you go. Carole Nash are going to provide a green card for Serbia for nothing for an upcoming trip. Don't forget the insurance you buy at the border is government issued 3rd party only. It's legally required but good luck if you ever need to make a claim, and of course your bike is not covered if it's damaged or nicked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

May I ask about payment for insurance at the border crossings? Do they generally only take local currency or a bank card?
I'm particularly interested into Serbia and into Bosnia as I am conscious I'll have no local currency on me.

If you're going through Bosnia it's €5

Not for insurance, it isn't. Insurance is not all available at all the border crossings. We tried to cross at Liubivno, but had to detour 50km north to Zvornik to get the border insurance. We had to pay in KM (Bosnian Marks), it was 30KM but the amount depends on the length of stay.

EDIT: This is for Serbia into Bosnia. Our Green Card covered us for Serbia so nothing to pay and an easy crossing from Bulgaria into Serbia.

Not for insurance, it isn't. Insurance is not all available at all the border crossings. We tried to cross at Liubivno, but had to detour 50km north to Zvornik to get the border insurance. We had to pay in KM (Bosnian Marks), it was 30KM but the amount depends on the length of stay.

EDIT: This is for Serbia into Bosnia. Our Green Card covered us for Serbia so nothing to pay and an easy crossing from Bulgaria into Serbia.

Well it was for me in June .

Back
Top Bottom