Garmin express - "Install to computer" greyed out

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBeard

Reaction score
Just as the thread title, in the map options section the button is greyed out. I have to have my zumo 595 connected to my (windows) pc to use basecamp with my map.

What am I missing that's really obvious?

have you tried un instaling express and re downloading it, there seems to be a few people having issues with map updates at the moment.

Garmin express - "Install to computer" greyed out

Try deleting & reinstalling GE first. Then remove & reinstall your device to GE. See what that brings.

Thanks for the tips, I have re-installed express a few times and removed/added the device but get the same result. I get the same problem on a clean install of windows as well!

copied from that post listed above. a mod may want to post it elsewhere for more coverage.

Thought I'd pass this on as it has been causing me a head-ache which can't be resolved, even with a lot of pooled experience amongst my colleagues in the business, lots of technical group searches and calls to Garmin .

So, the new Windows 10 update has increased security - a lot. It now uses cloud based technology to filter malware as well as a host of other security measures. The problem is, it now blocks any plug-in drivers from being installed if they aren't certified and installed in a specific way - which most aren't, including Garmin Express.

If you already had Garmin Express working before the Windows upgrade, it should still work, however if you try and install it after, it will still update the maps on your unit, but it won't let you install the maps on your PC; the button is "greyed out" because the plug-in has been blocked.

I've tried everything, including manually disabling all the new Windows security, cleaning Garmin Express from the computer manually and reinstalling it in admin mode - it still gets blocked

So if you find yourself in this position, I'm afraid that there is currently no solution other than to wait for the Garmin developers to release a fix (which I'm told they are working furiously on now). I managed to get a work-around by manually copying the installed maps from my laptop's internal drive to my desktop, but if you don't have multiple computers that may be a problem and it's not that easy to do if you don't know how to copy over and edit registry entries.

Hopefully this might save someone some pain anyway...

PS, I'd recommend you don't run any third-party anti-virus with the new Windows update. Normally Anti-virus disables the built-in Windows protection to prevent doubling up and the resulting problems and slow operation, but until the other vendors have caught up with the new windows structure there could be unpredictable results. Also, the built in "Defender" protection is now as good or better then third party offerings - and free, so I'd just use that

I got a reply from garmn today.

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

The issue you are referring to is something that we are aware of and are working hard towards a resolution, however, we do not have a timeframe for this to be completed as yet.

When the issue has been corrected, the fix will be released in a software update. This will be announced on your Garmin Connect account or on Garmin Express. If, at that point you require further assistance please contact us via our Contact Centre whereby we will be happy to talk you through it.

I’m sorry for the inconvenience.

Better than nothing I suppose :/

Garmin express has been updated, I no longer have a map option to "Install to computer".

Anyone else seeing the same thing?

More issues with Garmin.:rolleyes:

Use Garmin Express to update your device, if it needs updating, then use Motogoloco to plan routes (they use google maps). Life is far too short for all this Basecamp hassle.

It has nothing to do with BaseCamp, dear heart.

Anyway, you don't plan routes, as you are an independent pirate seat-of-the-pants Adventure biker. A desperado, right off the top shelf of desperado bikermates.

I used the reinstall map option in the new version of express ( I think there used to be an option to install to your device and computer doing this ) and basecamp no longer sees the map on my zumo so all I have now is the global map.

Rebooted etc and still the same

It has nothing to do with BaseCamp, dear heart.

Anyway, you don't plan routes, as you are an independent pirate seat-of-the-pants Adventure biker. A desperado, right off the top shelf of desperado bikermates.

Maybe not, but all this transferring of maps from GE to Basecamp, or the nav to Basecamp is faffery, and no longer necessary if the op uses a decent route planning software instead of Basecamp.

It seems a new map update has awoken the garmin express pixies on my PC and the option to install to computer has returned and works!

btw, the progress bar didn't work on my PC and doesn't on my laptop either but if you hover the mouse pointer over the bar you get a popup that shows the download rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom