ABS stopped working - 2007 GS

beachnut

Reaction score
Just to add to the statistics my late 2007 GS went into ABS brake failure a couple of weeks ago - like the experts said it seemed to occur after a long period of no use with the battery low.
I did try the long drift approach with no effect so decided to take the tank off to have a good look.
The motor housing was dirty but on cleaning it off noticed screwdriver marks so the last owner must have had problems too.
I read the extensive info on the issue about brushes binding and rebuilding aspects so decided first to take a light hammer to tap around the brush location at the top quadrant of the assembly.
Sure enough a few taps later reassembled and the sound of the ABS motor returned.
All good again until next time. :thumb

If anyone's got a 52 plate Audi TT for sale for what I paid to have the ABS pump rebuilt on my '07 I'll buy it :bounce1

Just to add to the statistics my late 2007 GS went into ABS brake failure a couple of weeks ago - like the experts said it seemed to occur after a long period of no use with the battery low.
I did try the long drift approach with no effect so decided to take the tank off to have a good look.
The motor housing was dirty but on cleaning it off noticed screwdriver marks so the last owner must have had problems too.
I read the extensive info on the issue about brushes binding and rebuilding aspects so decided first to take a light hammer to tap around the brush location at the top quadrant of the assembly.
Sure enough a few taps later reassembled and the sound of the ABS motor returned.
All good again until next time. :thumb

I had the same problem, in my case the brushes were find but the 'top' of the ABS motor runs in a bush (other end is a bearing) and all I needed to do was lube the bush. Mine's been fine since and that was almost two years ago.

There are "How to" videos on YouTube showing how to separate the motor from the ABS block and sort out the carbon brushes. I read somewhere the Ford Fiesta uses the same ABS unit. Who knows which model but if anyone has further information or research on that please post the details.

There are "How to" videos on YouTube showing how to separate the motor from the ABS block and sort out the carbon brushes. I read somewhere the Ford Fiesta uses the same ABS unit. Who knows which model but if anyone has further information or research on that please post the details.

Have a look on eBay and you'll find the Fiesta unit has the same motor as our bikes.

The iBMW site has lots on it with pictures - I remember reading that the offset on the Fiesta motor shaft was different to the BMW one but the brush assembly was better built and could be exchanged?

found this link - http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=56285&highlight=ABS+repair

and noted there is a sticky on their home page summarising the research by the members - some good info on ABS generally - seems the motor on many units is a source of failure.

Excluding the servo assisted bikes all the ABS faults I've read about have been caused by the 12v motor, if you're not happy taking it apart there are many companies out there who will recondition the unit and save you a small fortune!

I wonder if the whole ABS block is the same.
No, I can confirm it isn't. Last year I replaced the servo motor on a friend's 2007 GS and he got the motor and servo unit from a late model Fiesta. Whilst it looks similar it had extra pipe tappings (presumably as it was for a 4 wheeled vehicle?). So I just changed the motor over, it's been fine since.

I changed the whole motor. I didn't notice any difference with the cam, if it was any different then it was very small. The bike has been running fine since.

Thats good to know, and that was with a 2012 fiesta ABS which as you say looks identical ? Mine is currently hanging in there after a general all round tap with a rubber hammer as per the beachnuts original post.

Update - ABS went off line again as the experts predicted so rather than risk damaging the unit I booked the bike in with Steve Grover at Motoscot.
They sorted my ABS unit while I waited.

Also got the bike checked over too.
Professional job and good value.
Thumbs up for Motoscot!

Back
Top Bottom